SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from another side of SwedeSpeed! I'm currently looking at adding another Volvo to the family; something bigger for the extra space.

I've come from a long history of Volvos and know the routine when it comes to the standard Volvo servicing. Just wondering what I should be watching out for when shopping for a higher mileage XC70. Any common issues? Particular model years to try and avoid?

I know there's other threads covering this topic, it's just easier to ask and be scolded for not searching. Provide any links if you have them!

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Okay hello again, I'm also here on the XC70 thread because I own a 70 and a 90, love em both, but the 70 is a lot more fun to drive. If you get a XC70 of course you are familiar with the 2.5 motor and its a good one. I have used mine for hauling things around, taking people out to dinner, yacht clubbing, etc., and it fits in just fine everywhere. It is on the same platform as the XC90, you don't sit as high in the air, and you don't have nearly as much room as the flagship has. As far as driving, the XC70 is faster and handles better, but when driving in a straight line on the interstate or with a load, the XC90 is very hard to beat. Safety for both would be good, but the XC90 has to trump the 70 due to sheer weight and bigger frame, boron steel roof structure, etc. I added the Eurosport twin tube single-outlet stainless Touring exhaust system and it transformed the car from "just a station wagon" to a sporting pocket rocket, so I can recommend that.

Good luck shopping, if you are looking at the XC line of cars, they offer some great safety, reliability, style, utility and value. I bought mine recently (a 2007 model) with 65000 at about $17,500 and never looked back. Love it.

best,

P

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your advice! I'll be going to check out a few XCs over the next few weeks. I may even look at a 2000 V70XC, but I really prefer the 01-07 design for my price range. I've always been a huge fan of wagons, so the 70 is looking better than the 90 in my eyes; it's like a wagon on steroids!

Sounds like my shopping check list will be identical to the list I had when I bought my S40s. Looking forward to adding another car soon :thumbup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Avoid 01 and 02's at all costs due to transmission issues. If you're looking at anything approaching or over 100,000 miles plan on having to do maintenance items like lower control arms, shocks and struts, engine mounts and PCV system. Also definitely don't expect it to be a "pocket rocket". These are fairly big, fairly heavy cars, and while acceptably powerful, are not overly fast; with or without an exhaust.

sent from...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You can also look at V70 AWD as well. My suggestion is to look at 04+, 05+ having the refresh, so cosmetically less dated.

The V70, while much rarer, is more likely to have family-friendly features like boosters than the XC. The XC appealed across a broader market when new, so much more of them were bought by Boomers who didn't need these features.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We just sold our '01 XC70. Though it was a great car and served it's purpose, we were facing several issues, with the largest being the transmission. In addition, the sway bars needed replacing. There were other "wear and tear" issues. The car had 130+k miles, so some of the issues were to be expected. Thankfully, an independent Volvo repair shop bought it (after we asked to know what it would take to fix it right), and immediately had a customer for it who was willing to pay for the repairs. Since we just bought an XC90 (via OSD), we didn't want to put any more into the old car. And now we're in the process of ordering an XC60.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts