SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I changed my mind. I was looking at an 05ish XC90 and a sedan of undetermined make and model until my wife and I came to the conclusion that we don't really need two cars. Save on insurance, maintenance and all of that. Makes sense. Pool the money for the two and instead get one newer car.

I'm a car enthusiast. As much as I love the versatility of the XC90, having it as the only car wouldn't be very exciting for me so I want something I can at least be a little bit of a nerd about sometimes while still keeping our needs as a family at the very top of the list.

I have considered every make and basically every model out there to replace the two V8s I had until last month (both Dodge Magnum Hemis). I sold the 6.1 and the modded 5.7 is moving on either before I get the new car or right after.

I'm having a hard time deciding on a car because most cars have faults that I find hard to accept. Be that price, reliability, lack of an AWD option, too boring, too many miles, out of warranty and the list goes on.

So, looking for comfort, a car with warranty, with loads of safety, good looks without being too flashy with some nice features and a nice interior and so on has lead me to the S80.

I've never driven one so I'm looking forward to hopefully doing that soon.

1. Will I fit? I'm 190 lbs and 6'4". I had an Infiniti G35x for only four months because I was too cramped in it.

2. How is the comfort? I spend around three hours a day in commuter traffic so quiet and comfort is definitely a huge priority for both me and especially my wife who suffers from a disease that causes joint fatique, muscle pain and a lot of tiredness. Right now the bumpy ride and wind/tire/exhaust noise is not doing the job well.

3. What's the real world MPG like? This is not a huge concern - I average 14.5 mpg now so it could hardly get worse. That's the trade off with 4200 lbs and 400+ HP but you enjoy the power 1% of the time but pay the mileage penalty 99% of the time.

4. If I get a Certified car, what does that cover exactly? It's to 100K miles if I'm not mistaken? Is it powertrain only - engine, transmission, AWD system?

5. The 2010 has a slightly updated interior compared to 07-09 models - most notably the steering wheel (I'm probably overlooking other stuff so bear with me). Have there been any other upgrades that year or subsequent years I should be on the lookout for?

6. Is there a way to determine which factory options the car does or does not have based on the VIN? I'm not completely aware of what's in each of the factory option packages. I know I would like the PCC based on what I've read here as well as the Xenons where as for example I don't mind getting a Garmin instead of a factory nav.

I may sell my current car within a month and then I really have to make a decision if I don't want to drive a rental car to work or worse - on vacation.

Thanks for any input,

Jacob

·
Registered
347 Posts
Head over to your nearest Volvo dealer to sit in the driver's seat and check the headroom, road visibility, etc in a stationary 2012 S80. Then take one out for a "free" test drive with your spouse. That half hour experience will answer a bunch of your questions. Perhaps a few comparison test drives in new cars of the same class should also be done. Then you will be ready to look at the low milage used S80s that the dealers have available.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Head over to your nearest Volvo dealer to sit in the driver's seat and check the headroom, road visibility, etc in a stationary 2012 S80. Then take one out for a "free" test drive with your spouse. That half hour experience will answer a bunch of your questions. Perhaps a few comparison test drives in new cars of the same class should also be done. Then you will be ready to look at the low milage used S80s that the dealers have available.
+1

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
S80

Our S80 was great until it got rear ended and totalled, but it save wife from serious injury so we're happy with how it turned out. I'm 190 and 6'4" (and shrinking) and had no problems at all with front or rear seats. It is not sporty, but more of a comfortable drive. It rode very nice on hiway. It was our choice for hiway trips. Would suggest stay 2010 and newer. The tweak Volvo did to engine/trans or ? is much better than pre 2010 cars. My 09 V70 does not drive anywhere as nice as the newer ones. Throttle is much more responsive on newer cars. MPG's were pretty good, 27+ on hiway, about 21/22 for in town driving. See if you can find BLIS, PCC, and climate. I still have the plastic/rubber cargo liner for the trunk and rubber floor mats. All barely used that I"m selling if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far.

Yes obviously testing one out will help answer questions but some input from knowledgable owners would also help quite a bit in making a decision. I'm going tomorrow morning to check out a couple of S80s and we'll see. The both have Climate Package and BLIS but neither has Multimedia, Executive or Dynamic Package. I don't care about the Dynamic and I can live without the updated sound system and nav. Garmin is probably better anyway although it doesn't look integrated. I don't think either one has PCC either.

I was happy to learn exactly how great the Certified Warranty is. I'm impressed with that I've been told so far. I hope I like it enough to bring my wife there to have a look as well.

Another question - is there a good option for DVD install in the headrests so the little one has some additional entertainment on long trips or is it a PITA to do a custom install there and would a removable system be the better option with less headaches?

Comp1, I may be interested in those items if I purchase this model.

Thanks
Jacob

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My wife bought a 2009 T6 new and loves it. It has just over 30,000 miles and she has had 0 problems. She has parking assist, auto dim for mirror, rain sensitive wipers among other things and loves the power of the T6. I have an R and the S80 is not far behind mine in performance.
We are not tall by your standards, but frequently transport passangers and the rear leg and head room is fine. In addition it is very comfortable on long trips. I have been told by someone that has owned both the power difference between the T6 and the V8 is small. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the dealer rejected my offer - in fact, they didn't want to negotiate even a penny off of their advertised price. I found that surprising, especially since I made what I thought to be a very strong cash offer. I guess not strong enough.

The good news is that I'm extremely impressed with the S80 T6. I fit very well, I even fit well sitting in the back seat after putting the front seat in my preferred position. The car is very smooth and very very comfortable on the road without feeling floaty. It had 245s on and yet it was very quiet inside and I thoroughly enjoyed the test drive. I liked the stereo and I especially like the look of the interior, the feel of the steering wheel, the visibility and many other things. It's a very nice place to be and I can imagine spending hours in this car will be a good experience.

I don't know why I hadn't given this car stronger consideration in the past. I must have been living under a rock. It's wonderful.

So all in all it was nice to get confirmation that an S80 is a great option for us though I'm a little disappointed it won't be the one I saw today. I hope to find a '10 in my price range. I do see a lot of 09s available so maybe I'll save myself a couple of bucks and get a certified 09.

Jacob

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have an XC90 2.5T that we have had for 4 years. I also have a G35X that I am looking to trade possibly for an S80. I thought I might have done some research that might help you. As I understand it you need only one car. First, let me say that we have absolutely enjoyed the XC90, especially its versatility. Given the type of vehicle that you have had in the past I wanted to make you aware of two alternatives you might want to consider. First, you might look at a 2007+ XC90 with a V8 and Sport package. (stay away from pre-2007 XC90 V8's due to an engine issue that has since been corrected). The V8 in that car makes the vehicle seem more agile and easy to drive. You will appreciate the V8 having come from them in past cars. While they are no where near the output of the Hemi's you have been driving you will appreciate these engines over the other alternatives. Similarly, I think you would do well to drive an S80 V8. With or without the sport package, this version of the vehicle is a pretty special version of the car and to me worth the modest differential in priace. I think Volvo dropped the V8 after 2010, so given your preference for the 2010- interior, a 2010 V8 S80 might please you. The closest alternative might be an S80 T6 with the polestar upgrade, biut this is only offered for certain years. These vehicles might be more to your preference, and less likely for you to feel you have compromised in the performance department.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Synesis, thanks for your input out as well.

After driving the S80 yesterday I was very impressed and know my wife will also love its quiet and comfort which are high priorities.

I have three weeks to find an S80 T6 since my current daily driver should be leaving the third week of August. Hopefully I won't need a rental.:)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Keystone Volvo has a nice Savile Grey/Anthracite Black 2010 S80 V8 with the Executive Pkg.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think you are going to love the S80. Don't discount the V8 as you look though. The MPG is pretty much a draw between the two and the V8 cars often are more likely to have the desirable options, based on my looking around. But I really think you can't go wrong with any of the engines, as they are all pretty bullet proof if maintained properly. This is based on my conversation a few days ago with a well respected local Volvo indie tech with many years of Volvo experience. Just find one that makes you happy.

I put a deposit on a 2007 V8 yesterday to hold the car until I can work out some details on my trade-in. My friend "the Wrench" who is a gifted mechanic took the car to his shop and we put it up on a lift. As a student of design I was so impressed by the elegant simplicity in the execution of this car. Elegant and functional engineering abounds. For instance, where most cars have a plain plastic cover under the front engine area for aerodynamics, the Volvo cover also has an inner metal structure that serves as a heat shield and to add rigidity. Integrated into the cover is a NACA type air scoop (normally seen in racing or aeronautics) to provide cooling air to components where needed while the cover serves as a aerodynamic element in the airflow underneath the car. The Wrench really appreciated how the cover fastened to the car, using nylon inserts within the frame of the car that receive screws, rather than the typical plastic pop fasteners. Durable. No metal to metal rust issues. Easy to service. He said it was by far the best method he has seen of the high end cars he works on. None of this will likely ever be seen or noticed by most customers, but the attention to detail and excellence in execution is remarkable. I found myself wishing I had the opportunity to let one of the engineers know that their efforts were indeed noticed.

My experience with Volvo's is that the more you own them, and the more you learn about them the more you appreciate them. Choose the S80 you prefer and enjoy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keystone Volvo has a nice Savile Grey/Anthracite Black 2010 S80 V8 with the Executive Pkg.

I agree - it's nice. It's also way out of my price range. I'm lookin to be in the mid-20s and that one is almost 40.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Synesis

the Volvo cover also has an inner metal structure that serves as a heat shield and to add rigidity. Integrated into the cover is a NACA type air scoop (normally seen in racing or aeronautics) to provide cooling air to components where needed while the cover serves as a aerodynamic element in the airflow underneath the car. The Wrench really appreciated how the cover fastened to the car, using nylon inserts within the frame of the car that receive screws, rather than the typical plastic pop fasteners. Durable. No metal to metal rust issues.

There is a current S80 option for a skid plate ($400+) to protect the lower drive train components. You might ask if this was the standard Volvo engine cover or if it was the optional skid plate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tonight I'm going to look at an S80 T6 from 09 and an 09 XC90 R-Design as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer said the S80 has Premium Package and Climate Package. As far as I know there's no such thing as Premium Package?? Maybe he meant Convenience Package? Didn't reply after I asked.

Any way to tell if it has Convenience Package by visual clues?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Premium is leather, a moonroof (and a couple of other things).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Just came back from test driving both. The 09 drove like the 10 so that was a positive, but for some reason I wasn't quite as happy with it. My wife was not impressed. I think I've been talking it up since driving the other one Saturday so she had higher expectations perhaps. She thought it was too small and now that we're going to be a "one car family" she thought it wasn't suitable for our overall needs. It's very quiet and the engine is a good match for the car. She liked the XC90 better but definitely didn't want one in bright red like this one was.

·
Registered
347 Posts
JKPA01,

My wife and lots of other women are attracted to "Cute Utes" like the XC60 and XC90. The feeling of sturdiness and security plus being high enough to look down over sedans and sports cars is appealing to women. Then there is the fact that they are really disguised station wagons that can haul a lot of stuff when shopping. Only because our other vehicle is a full size 4WD pickup was I was able to convince my spouse to go with an S80 for the daily commute and long trips. The better fuel economy argument worked in my favor along with the sleekness of the S80 compared to the SUVs. Tell her the S80 rear seats fold down so bulky items can be hauled home. Finally, the color may be critical. We finally agreed on a color after months of discussion and it was rare in the SUVs. Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts