SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came here because I know there are a lot of experts on this forum. All im looking for are maybe some must have options, things to look out for, known issues with the car, that sort of thing. Also if anyone could link a few sites with some aftermarket parts that would be great. I did some light looking and I know Heico makes some stuff but aside from that I was at a loss.

I would like to go with the v8 but is there any reason I shouldn't?

Anyway thanks a bunch to anyone who can lend a hand it would mean a lot.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I wouldn't say there are any reasons not to go for the V8 other than your choices will be more limited (but there are still a good number out there). If I had gone for a V8 I would have needed to travel several states away to get one. I get terrible gas mileage with the T6 so efficiency wouldn't really be a consideration for me and the V8 is rated similarly to the T6.

Let's see...aside from the engine there are styling differences between the two so that should go into your consideration. I strongly prefer the wheels on my T6 to any of the wheels I've seen on V8 models and I also strongly prefer the interior of mine as well. V8s, as far as I know, all came with the shiny classic wood instead of the modern wood inlays and the vast majority of V8 models also have the wood down the center console. The only way I would have dealt with the classic wood is if I had an executive model because at least I'd have better seats, floormats and interior lighting. The V8 models also had the exterior chrome accents before the rest of the line got them (I've added them to the front of my T6). Also, think about your circumstances and what not before you choose an interior color. I think the lighter color looks fantastic with the matte wood but it's very susceptible to getting dirty. The shifter, steering wheel, turn signal stalk and seats will all pick up dirt and start to discolor. I would not have been able to have the lighter interior because I wear raw denim and would have ended up with an indigo stained seat.

There hasn't been much to worry about reliability wise. If you scroll back through the forum you won't find many people with issues. The two issues I've had with my car were both present when I purchased it and they were fixed for free under warranty. The hood latch malfunctioned and thought the hood was open at random times. It was annoying while driving because a message would pop up all the time but it was even more annoying when parked because it would trigger the alarm sometimes. The keyless door handles also didn't work on my passenger side but I don't think that's common. My windshield washer nozzles and headlight nozzles also stopped working one day during a very messy trip I was taking for work. I had to stop at every exit and clean my windshield by hand and it was terrifying at times with all of the snow, dirt and grime building up on my windshield. I don't know what caused it but the system seemed frozen despite it being heated. Never happened again after that but the winter was pretty mild.

As far as necessary features I absolutely would never purchase one that didn't have PCC but I'd imagine most if not all V8s you look at will have it. Being able to keep the key in my pocket at all times is something I've gotten very used to and can't imagine owning a car without it. The heartbeat sensor is pretty useless though.

Many people enjoy having the xenons because they bend as you drive around corners. They're the one thing I really wish I had on my car because it felt like a downgrade from my last car to lose xenons and after being used to a certain color light driving at night made me irritable. I eventually put in silverstar ultras to make it a little better. Depending on what year you go for getting xenons requires getting the sport package which will give you ventilated seats as well and the active suspension (4C). I've heard that improves handling but can also lead to increased tire wear and possibly cupping or something.

Beyond that...many people seem to find the blind spot warning system (BLIS) annoying because it will give a lot of false positives at night and in the rain. Driving through traffic will have both lights flickering on and off pretty often. Not many people have talked about radar cruise control but after xenons that's the next option I wish I had (I only have the climate package which is mostly a result of the lack of inventory available around me when I purchased my car). I do remember some complaints about the cruise control being used on two lane highways that have turning lanes. If you approach a car waiting in a center turning lane on a highway where the lane that isn't turning is slightly to the right (hard to explain but the lane would shift right at every intersection to accommodate the left turn lane) the car will slam on the brakes sometimes. If I had that problem often I feel like I would stop using that feature. The navigation system also isn't that great, especially because it isn't a touchscreen and requires you to operate it with a remote or buttons that are behind the steering wheel. The Dynaudio package is supposed to be very good though and doesn't seem very common so if you find one with it that's probably a good find.

Overall my car has been a dream to own minus the disappointing gas mileage. I'm averaging down in the 16s right now with mixed driving but absolutely zero traffic and few stop lights. I can't get anywhere near 300 miles on a tank before the fuel light comes on. I can't really comment on aftermarket stuff because everything I've done to my car has been oem. I have a 2008 and I added the 2009+ style rear emblem with the spaced out letters, the 2010+ front grille with the larger logo and added the chrome details to the front from the executive package and V8 models. The only non oem thing I've done is added the silverstar ultra bulbs to my headlights and changed my parking lights to LEDs in the front.

If possible, I would go for a certified model just for the added peace of mind. If you live somewhere with lots of inventory or have the possibility to travel to get one make sure you spend time looking around. The prices of the S80 can vary widely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
/\ What he said...I have a 3.2. avarege around 19.8 MPG (I have a heavy right foot as well). At the time we bought ours we also had an 02 V70XC (plus a 4wheel drive truck)and did not want another AWD vehicle. The two features I wish I had and do not are the PCC and the ventalated seats. Except for the tint all of my accessories are OEM as well. The 3.2 is no slouch so I'm sure the V8 is amazingly quick.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have a 07 V8 and it is a good engine, responsive, plenty of power at highway speeds and makes for a good long distance cruiser. Mine also has the 4C system. The system is good at dampening the body roll. However, the ride can be very rough on poor roads. I only ever use it on advance when the road surface is smooth. I think for the 09 to 10 model years 4C was not available on any S80, please check on this though. If you decide on a V8 I think the 08 is a better buy than the 07. The 08 came with PCC standard (as said above a must have), the climate package included heated rear seats, wood steering wheel was standard and I think the leather used was of a better quality. Also get one with the ABL HID's.

Depending on your budget a late model T6 would be even better than the V8 in terms of performance. With the polestar software from Volvo power jumps to 325hp and torque increases to 345lb/ft (V8 has 311hp and 325lb/ft).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't posted in some time; this July will be 2 years for me owning my '08 V8 Sport Pckg. Other than very crappy Perelli 4 Season tires which I plan on replacing soon, I haven't had a single issue other than I think my rain sensing wipers are not operating correctly. I plan on having them checked soon. As of today, I have 30,940 miles and bought the car w/8,200 miles as a former svc loaner. I traveled from OH to DC to get the car as the V8 sport pkg S80's were/are quite rare.

I like the Yamaha V8 very much; my MPG isn't too bad especially on the expressway where 26 MPG is achievable. They are rock solid, dependable cars and the sound of the engine and exhaust @ start-up is amazing. Depreciation is steep, but again the V8's seem to enjoy slightly higher demand. Mine has the 4C setting, no nav or BLIS.

Be different and buy one; I think they are fantastic deals. Alex

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I haven't had a single issue other than I think my rain sensing wipers are not operating correctly.
Interesting you say that, the rain sensor on my S80 is not worth a crap. It only works well when it is raining at night, even then it is too sensitive even with the knob turned way down. During the day unless I set it on maximum sensitivity it does not activate the wipers until you can barely see out. I use the manual intermitten mode.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The rain sensing wipers actually work very well on my car. I have the sensitivity set right around the middle and it typically is pretty spot on. On occasion it will be a little too fast but it seems to figure things out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My wife bought a 2009 T6 new and rock solid, as targa said, describes it well. She had a 2007 3.2, but much prefers the substantial power difference between the two. I own a 2007 R and her power is not far behind mine. We both like the bliss system and the rain sensing feature. The car has 31,000+ miles and everything works like it should. The feeling and fact of the safety of the Volvos is reassuring to say the least.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We have a 2010 3.2, I have driven 08-09s' and the throttle response is not at all like our 2010, it really has some oomph compared with the 08-09s I have driven. We have had 1 issue with the car and it involved a mouse chewing on a wire setting off a warning light, other than that the car has been rock solid and averages 20mpg round town (50-50 mix/city hwy) up to 31mpg on last road trip to Canada JHW

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would like to go with the v8 but is there any reason I shouldn't?
Err.. No?
Cheapest and most sensible european V8 on offer. Why not?
Growl, power, 4 wheel drive, Volvo. Yamaha engine, rev happy. Only downside is the japanese automatic gearbox, but even that is not a showstopper as long as you enter the semi manual mode and forget about the fact that the push forwards 'increases' the gear instead of 'decreasing' it.

I'd take the V8 over the modern turbo I6 any day, but that's me. Push your right hand more to the right, engage manual 3rd gear and let go. The powertrain is transformed to one (fusion of gearbox and engine), and you'll wonder why they didn't tell you about that in the first place. 50-50 power ratio pushes you out of the corners, but that depends on the fact that you're not relying on automatic brains alone.. I love accelerating from roundabouts. 2nd or 3rd gear. Manual mode, advanced. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2010 S80T6 with the dynamic package, multimedia, PCC, etc. Everything except the BLIS - which I did not want in the first place. I would highly recommend the dynamic package, although I understand that the post 2010 T6s no longer had the Nivomat self adjusting/leveling shocks. It transforms the handling of the car. I have pretty heavy right foot, and I still get about 20mpg on average in mixed driving, so I don't have anything to complain about. The V8 was certainly not much faster and the handling was a little heavier with the additional weight (but I do like that V8). It's been a pretty reliable car, but I did just have to have the rear differential replaced under warranty as it started to make quite a racket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts