SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking around at an early S60 (preferably the normally aspirated engine) and was wondering if there was a collective 'buyer's guide' put together somewhere or if anyone could point me to specific niggles to be on the watch for.

As I understand it the T-belt is necessary every 105k miles and this is an interference engine? And thus far poking around hither and tither suggests that the front suspension bits are prone to wear. Any idea what sort of job this is to have done?

Also, any other areas to be on the lookout for? Generally how reliable is the engine/transmission? Electronics?

Many thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
01-02 had problematic Electronic throttle modules(ETM). There was a recall, but if i recall correctly it expired after 10 years/100k miles. XEMODEX can fix you up with one for much cheaper than a dealership can.
01-02 had problematic transmissions. I do not know if this affected the n/a models as bad as the turbos. The problem was based around a neutral stop feature that was changed with a software update later on down the road.

I bought a 03 manual to try and avoid the above problems. My car currently needs a new driver instrument module(DIM). If the car has a incorrect time on the dash its probably because it needs a new DIM, trying to reset the tripometer is a tell tale as well. ~$500 rebuild from XEMODEX will fix it right up though.

Suspension stuff is easy enough in my opinion. Some tools, any sort of mechanical ability and you will be fine on most suspension stuff. Buy one, get caught up on EVERYTHING and it will likely treat you very well. Engines are very solid, auto transmissions are fine in the 03+, electronics are so-so(see DIM). 04 is last non turbo production year for S60 in north america.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
01-02 had problematic transmissions. I do not know if this affected the n/a models as bad as the turbos. The problem was based around a neutral stop feature that was changed with a software update later on down the road.
If we're talking about the Aisin unit it was the same problem as always. Shift flare between gears 2 and 3. The B4 Servo update and an up to date Transmission computer solve this issue.

I've sold and worked on ALOT of Saturn Ion transmissions (same exact one) to know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this early model transmission issue is a when not if? How long does a trans go usually before this issue rears its head?

If the ETM was replaced, was the replacement reliable?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Not necessairily, I have an 2002 Auto GearTronic and have never changed anything in the trans but the fluid without issue and I'm at almost 200,000 miles with tuned setup and agressive driving. I still have my original ETM too so it's not all 2002 models. Most of the issues I see posted with trans seems to be '01 and easy to fix with a new solenoid cover.

Honestly you see just as many problems with manual transmissions on here and even the newer cars have ETM issues once in a while.

I'd say '02 or newer to be safe, obviously look for a clean car with complete service records, the seller should be open about the reason he's selling, don't rush into anything, take the time and buy a nice car.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Do you prefer MT or AT?.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts