SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see an '06 XC70 T5 with 71k on the clock... what should I look out for besides normal used car common sense stuff? Are these as bulletproof as their predecessors? Anything specific I should look out for?

TIA:beer:

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
No you're not
No such a model exists

·
Registered
74 Posts
06 should be fine- the first two or three years had transmission issues.

If you want to be safe look for orange fluid stains leaking out of the angle gear. If there is a full splashguard under the car its just remove a couple bolts and it drops down and you get a clear view of it.

Next up take it for some tight turns at slow speeds like pulling in/out of parking spots and drive-thrus. Listen for a squeal, clunk, or feel for a lurch. I had this issue in my 04 and I never would have guessed it, but replacing the power steering line fixed all three. It was expensive though.

There's something about a software update, not sure what the deal is with it, but look for a date under the hood on the cover to one of the control units.

Finally get ready to be confused- I'm still new to this, but so far I've run into a lot of confusing situations because they switched up parts and there's no rhyme or reason to it. For example- my most recent confusing issue was as simple as buying new rotors, 01-07 has two or three different sized rotors and they do not match up with wheel size and are not specified in the VIN, the only way to find out is to measure your current ones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That would be a good car provided it has been maintained properly. My wife as an '06 and it has been exceptional.

Check control arm bushings, lower transmission mount, upper engine mount, angle gear, brake pads/rotors and auto transmission fluid. (on the tranny fluid, book says it is a lifetime fluid but it really ought to get flushed every 40k or so).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts