SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 8 month pregnant wife got rear ended yesterday and totaled her Ford Explorer. She is fine and the baby is fine which means now it's time to get her a car. I'm bringing her into the Volvo family and looking at xc90s high is what we wanted for her before the accident we just planned on waiting... Now that can't happen.
I'm drooling over a 2013 xc90r with 33k miles with Volvo certification through 2020. What are the thoughts on them? Is the r worth the price. Should I be concerned about problems?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's a nice car but is it worth the price is really up to you. The r package adds some value later on, probably not as much as the price difference now though.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Suspension is a little stiffer.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm pretty sure the steering rack and suspension are different, but somebody who knows the specific differences will chime in with the correct info. But it's tough to gauge value when looking at a premium car, you know?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally understand. Is there anything to worry about with that particular car in terms of drive train?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
At that mileage and age I would hope not. It's the 3.2 right? The tranny problems were with the early t6 so the the later years are fine there. The only real high dollar issue the 3.2 can have is the read assembly, that can be 4-5k to replace. I believe they drilled a hole so that it doesn't collect water and ruin the bearings in 08? But I've seen threads of 2010s and 2011s with failures at pretty low mileage (under 100k), so it is a risk. It's not like a normal timing belt or chain that can be replaced in a timed interval ether.. The bearings just go bad and bam, big bill. So it's a risk.. Not saying yours will fail, but its there so it can down the road.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This read thing is a ghost. I have searched and searched and have come across exactly 1 post in all of the xc90 forums. I have an 08 xc90 (same drive train as the one you are looking at). It has been the best car I have ever owned. I have put 115k on it in 3 years 3 months, bought it with 60k on it. New baby on the way, your wife just got rear ended, look at the crashes online between an xc90 and other similar suv. If its in your price bucket, I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
So is this like a snapped timing belt? The engine has to be rebuilt?
If the read actually breaks, it would be worse because not only does the read have to be replaced but also the head would have to be fixed. The bearings are what were normally going on the read so only the read would have to be replaced. I'm not saying it's a widespread problem, and it was more of an issue in the earlier years, but there have been later ones failing too. It's just something to be aware of so you know what you're buying and what the potential repair bills can be, if.. And it's not an everyday thing that they fail, but its there so it can. I don't like the design at all, it adds nothing but potential for a high repair bill.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've found quite a few posts. If you search xc90 read in Google you'll find some, if spell read out you get some, if you put periods in you get some too... I don't think there should be wide spread panic, but its an issue. We bought an s40 that ran great for 4 months and everything checked out but one day the valves were bent (seriously lol, no issues otherwise) for no reason (!! Grrrrrr) and it just had 3500 bucks (yup) of engine work done which in itself turned into a nightmare. So you really never know.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm a 3.2 owner and this is news to me as well. Mine has 80k mi so far and it hasn't skipped a beat.

BTW that 'drilling a hole so water can't collect' thing you mentioned was a V8 issue, not a 3.2 issue.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You don't have to restrict your search to a 2013ish to benefit from the superior crash rating of the XC90 ... There are several low(er) mileage cars out there, including the V8.

Have you considered a V8 model? Test drive one ... you probably won't turn back.

As far as warranties: There are companies out there that are as good, if not better than the Volvo CPO warranty. I recommend Route 66.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm a 3.2 owner and this is news to me as well. Mine has 80k mi so far and it hasn't skipped a beat.

BTW that 'drilling a hole so water can't collect' thing you mentioned was a V8 issue, not a 3.2 issue.
Oh really? So was there no redesign or anything for the later read ones? I don't know.. I have a 2.5

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Oh really? So was there no redesign or anything for the later read ones? I don't know.. I have a 2.5

Ya, the issue was the angle gear in the V8 engine collecting water in the bottom of the V. The bearings would rust and seize. That was what was fixed in 2007 with the drilled hole. It allowed any water to drain. The READ problem I don't think Volvo ever fixed, as there were so few vehicles affected. From past threads, I would have to agree with the previous statement that the READ issue is a ghost. It shows up infrequently, and seems like a QC issue more than a design flaw. But anyone knowing more, feel free to correct me.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You don't have to restrict your search to a 2013ish to benefit from the superior crash rating of the XC90 ... There are several lowe(er) mileage cars out there, including the V8.

Have you considered a V8 model? Test drive one ... you probably won't turn back.
+1! You will also be able to find an older (but still face lifted) model for much cheaper. Even with the costs of 2013 tail lights, painted lower plastic, LED DRL's, and other minor upgrades, you will still come out ahead of a 2013+ model. But that's my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
And sorry for trolling here, but Autotrader shows a 2014 3.2 FWD R-D with 12,000 miles for just under 37k, while a very well optioned 2009 V8 AWD R-D (rarest XC90 combo, last year of the V8)with 57,300 miles is 22k. I also found the same year with 109,000 miles for 17k. With very few changes, you might want to look at an older model. But again, it's all personal preferences.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It all boils down to budget and expectations. Will a 40k car go 100k cheaper than a 15k car? And after they go 100k which will retain its value more. Once you figure out how much you want to spend and how much you want to lose..

·
Registered
440 Posts
So my 8 month pregnant wife got rear ended yesterday and totaled her Ford Explorer. She is fine and the baby is fine which means now it's time to get her a car. I'm bringing her into the Volvo family and looking at xc90s high is what we wanted for her before the accident we just planned on waiting... Now that can't happen.
I'm drooling over a 2013 xc90r with 33k miles with Volvo certification through 2020. What are the thoughts on them? Is the r worth the price. Should I be concerned about problems?
Do it. We have had our 2014 for a year and would do it all over again. With the R-Design and 2013/2014 years only facelift you won't pass yourself at every stoplight. A sporty SUV that holds the family isn't a bad deal at all!

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Ya, the issue was the angle gear in the V8 engine collecting water in the bottom of the V. The bearings would rust and seize. That was what was fixed in 2007 with the drilled hole. It allowed any water to drain.
Engine counterbalance shaft, center of 60 degree V, implemented to counter interbank vibration. http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii565/my2005xc90/volvoshaft.jpg

Transmission angle gear (aka bevel gear), convert transverse gearbox parallel output (front axles) to perpendicular output (rear differential). http://www.jimellisvolvoparts.com/images/parts/volvo/fullsize/GR-325127.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts