SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls. Been a while since I asked a question since been super busy.

Well here it is.
I have really haven't enjoyed this summer trying to take out the Yellow out when I have a few hours on a Sunday for project time. The car will get closer to overheating in the Florida heat at idle. I been starting to plan on redoing the whole cooling system and would like some input. Going to order a Do88 radiator. And was thinking about getting rid of the volvo fan relay and installing an adjustable fan controller I saw online.
My reason for the adjustment fan controller is that I can set it up. to turn on at a lower temperature then the volvo one that seems to turn on around 220f. I want to try to get alot of that heat from the engine and turbo out of the engine bay quicker at a lower temp and have a safety zone before the car would get close to overheating.

What is everyone's 2 cent on this.

PS. Sorry for the grammar errors. It's Sunday and beers could be involved in my thinking about this fan controller.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Why not just delete/lock the relay and hard wire the low speed to run all the time like a pulley driven fan? Will still have high speed mode temp controlled.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
So bypass the low speed side of the relay. And connect to the red power wire
Basically. Would need to look at the schematic to have a better idea but that’s the jist. Plus side your AC will be superb!

·
Registered
812 Posts
All you need to do is turn the AC on. If memory serves the fan will always run with the AC on even if it's on ambient temps.
It will come on when required when the AC is on. The high side pressure needs to be around 3 bar, I think. Then it will turn on. The high-pressure switch helps dictate that.

If it's THAT hot, the AC is probably running anyway.

To me it sounds like more is wrong than just "Florida heat", honestly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct more is wrong then Florida heat. Just trying to figure it out if it's electric connection mostly or sensors and relay.
I picked up some fan relays at the junk yard today. Since it seems like the relay went out or the fan motor. When I get time next Sunday I will electric test everything for the cooling fan, power supply, and etc.
I am going to replace the radiator thou. Since its the original one.
I work on the car little bit here and there when I have time during summers and take it out on short trips. And each hurricane season I try to do the bigger jobs. So I order parts and everything ahead of time. Like 2 years ago when a hurricane came in. With power out for 4 days. I redid the whole inside of the car. Dash replacement. Fresher original seats.
Used the generator to power the shop lighting around the car and the fridge in the house.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So tested alot of connections for the cooling system and why the fan was having issues..

Found that the ground wire connection going to the fan was bad. So I added a temp wire connected to the ground wire and went over to the battery to ground it there. Fan started back up now when ac unit gets to the right level to signal the cooling fan to run.

So made next weekend I will start following the ground wire and see where it is officially having issues. Maybe at the engine block connection.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Glad you found the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts