SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went and looked at a 99 silver R for my girlfriend. It was in Wilton CT right on route 7. Car seemed fine when I was warming it up. Has the wood trim, Dolby speaker on the dash, seats are good, has the big cargo area rubber mat and nets.

The problem is the tranny. It has the 4 speed. When I was cruising at about 40 and go to lay on the gas the car just holds at around 3---3500 rpm and I can hear the turbo spool and all that. Then when I let off it makes a loud clunk from the mid or rear of the car.

He's asking 6K and it needs new tires. I'm thinking like 1,800. My buddy Ben just put a used tranny in one of his friend's 99R and got the tranny for 50$$. (4 SPD)

So should I try and get it dirt cheap and do it? Or can there be many other problems.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It was full of oil, but was a little on the brown side than red.

Also I tried flooring it from a stop and does the same thing in 1st gear. Goes to 3500 rpm holds and won't go any higher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
could be a TCM problem rather than actually trans itself where the TCM is not properly communicating with the trans telling it to shift...which will be far cheaper for you

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. That's what I am thinking. They have a tech there looking at it tmr. Still 6K for a 99 with 135K and a trans problem. Seems a bit insane. I was thinking before I knew it was bad that I would offer 4K. The paint is good and interior is real good. Just needs tires too. But haven't gotten it on a lift to check the angle gear and all that jaazz

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Bull
It's probably the trans.
You need to get a VIDA DICE on there for stored codes

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
yeah 6K is absolutely absurd.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No lights

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy told me it has a 6 month or whatever powertrain warranty and that I can buy it then have them fix it.. I was like wtf haha

I can do it myself with my buddy..the trans are real cheap for it. Just wondering how many other issues there are...

I just convinced my gf to go look at Chris' XC the on Wednesday night when he put it up, too bad its sold

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was just thinking about posting my 99R (silver) that has 100,000 and is a little needy for a lot less than that in price.
It will probably be a few days a I decide what to do t the car before listing it for sale.
PM me here for a phone number if you care to discuss the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts