Here is the info the owner provided me today:

"1994 Volvo 850 Wagon
2.4 litre normally aspired inline 5
168 HP

Approx 160,000 miles
Black with Tan int.

This car is a base level III car.

Major Options:
Leather, sunroof (this option was paired with 4 headlight configuration instead of 2), winter package (traction controll, heated seats, headlight wipers), alloy wheels, child seat integrated into rear center armrest, electric drivers seat.

Engine was replaced a few years ago with a used one and has about 110,000 miles on it.

The main mechanical problem with the car is the transmission. 3rd gear is grinding. After having a Volvo mechanic inspect it, I was told that It can run for several thousand miles with that transmission, but the only way to get the grind to stop is a new gear box, which is nearly $2,000."

I won't tell you what he is asking, just that it is a real steal.

Here are the big questions...I have recently done a Subaru engine swap in my Vanagon, and have a 1973 Bug that I have restored, so I am a home mechanic with good experience; can someone like me swap a transmission in this car in my home garage? Any special tools I will need?

He also stated that he has owned the car for 3 years, maintained to the "T" and swears by the reliability and performance of this car. He spent 6 months searching for a 5 speed wagon, as they are pretty rare in the U.S.

Anything you guys can offer would be greatly appriciated. I have done a lot of research on 850's and love the idea of owning one, and have been lurking here for years, so I know enough to be somewhat dangerous, please keep this in mind.

Cheers!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Looking at a 94 850 Base III 5-speed wagon (krautwagen)

Rare wagon. It's called a GLT. not a "base III"
Tranny swap is a fairly big deal, about 7 hours and remember it may be even more than $2000 for a rebuilt one even if you plan on doing the labor yourself!
So, I sure hope it IS cheap
JRL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking at a 94 850 Base III 5-speed wagon (JRL)

Yeah, he is giving it away far a song... so maybe it is a good steal, even if I have to pay someone to do the work.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Looking at a 94 850 Base III 5-speed wagon (krautwagen)

Just bought a 97 854, and the owner replaced the transmission 2 years ago. He gave me the receipt for the repair, and he paid $2,500 for the transmission then. Volvo does not sell individual parts for the trans, only complete units. UGH. I've read in this and other forums that Erie Volvo, a salvage yard, has transmissions that are guaranteed for a short time, and people have had success with them.
http://www.erievovo.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.