SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2006 V50 2.4i with 40k miles for $10,000. It seems to be a decent price and the car is in excellent condition, inside and out. Sunroof, premium audio, etc.

Anything in particular I should look for? Stay away from the V50 completely? Fair price?

Thanks in advance! I'll be posting here more often of I buy the wagon!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Ask if the PCV system has been fixed under extended warranty (it has to have shown problems before being fixed). If not, be prepared for it to happen eventually. Also might want to ask about wheel bearings - those tend to go way too soon and aren't cheap to fix! Otherwise, I'd say a good buy given the mileage, for sure!

·
Registered
882 Posts
if that mileage is legit.. its very low for a 2006

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check out the following:
Control arms bushings. They are hydraulic and notorious for leaking the fluid and start making suspension noises. Particularly in rough pavement places. You have to replace the whole control arms because the bushings are not sold separately (there are some aftermarket ones but I don´t think they are very good).

I don´t know about the 2.4i engine (non-turbo) but the T5s tend to have problems with the engine and transmission mounts. If you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, its a sure sign of worn out engine mounts.

Those two seem to be the main issues with the S40/v50. Other than that, I´d say they are solid and reliable cars, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
we have v50 coming up to 3 years old.Problems with wear /torn upholstery on drvers seat.22,000 mile on clock.currentlly persuing volvo as refusing to repair/replace under warranty.
feel material is not fit for purpose-something to check.
Also raised on this and other forums.
otherwise really pleased with car.
Regards
Ennis

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
we have v50 coming up to 3 years old.Problems with wear /torn upholstery on drvers seat.22,000 mile on clock.currentlly persuing volvo as refusing to repair/replace under warranty.
feel material is not fit for purpose-something to check.
Also raised on this and other forums.
otherwise really pleased with car.
Regards
Ennis
Was it textile or leather upholstery? This V50 has light grey leather (or vinyl?).

I ended up buying the V50 for $9,000 flat. Most of the interior is in very good condition. The cheap shroud around the parking brake is torn. It seems unlikely that such thin, weak material wouldn't end up torn after using the brake a few times.

The exterior isn't in amazing condition, but it's pretty good; PDR in a spot or two. It had 100% clean CarFax and full service records. The paint could definitely use a buff and seal. The black plastic pieces between the door windows are a little sun dried and faded. Is there anything that I can do to bring back the original deep-shiny-black look? There is also some built up wax around some of the trim pieces and door handles, but that's an easy fix.

Overall, it seems like it was a great deal for $9,000. I'm going to add a Thule or Yakima or RockyMounts rack system for my bikes, some 18" matte gold BBS rims with rubber that a friend is giving me for free, and I'll look into upgrading the speakers. Buff out and seal the paint. I have a guy that will donate his time on the PDR and paint. The car is a bright royal blue, so I think it will mirror the classic WRX color scheme; blue on matte gold rims. Tacky? Maybe. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out the following:
Control arms bushings. They are hydraulic and notorious for leaking the fluid and start making suspension noises. Particularly in rough pavement places. You have to replace the whole control arms because the bushings are not sold separately (there are some aftermarket ones but I don´t think they are very good).

I don´t know about the 2.4i engine (non-turbo) but the T5s tend to have problems with the engine and transmission mounts. If you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, its a sure sign of worn out engine mounts.

Those two seem to be the main issues with the S40/v50. Other than that, I´d say they are solid and reliable cars, definitely worth it.
This was a grocery getter for an elderly couple. I still have the handicap plates on! They drove it very, very slowly and were the original owners. They moved into an assisted living facility and were liquidating their assets. The car was driven on fully improved driving surfaces and the suspension was silent.

I was really hoping for a deal on a T5, but comparable 2.4i V50s are selling for as much as $14,600. A high mileage T5 was $14,500. For $9,000 flat, I am okay with the non-turbo engine. I'm sure the T5 is much more lively, but this wagon is just a hold over vehicle until we can buy the new Audi A4 Allroad, hopefully diesel, when they are released in the US.

There is no vibration in the steering, at all. The brake pads and rotors are in great condition. No grooves or trenches. The A/C blows freezing cold air; I had to open the sunroof vent to compensate!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if that mileage is legit.. its very low for a 2006

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.
As said in another post, it was a grocery getter for some pensioners. I thought that was a sales ploy, but it wasn't. They drove to church, the store, and to restaurants, with the occasional 3 to 4 hour highway trip to see grandchildren. An easy 40,000 miles over 6 years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ask if the PCV system has been fixed under extended warranty (it has to have shown problems before being fixed). If not, be prepared for it to happen eventually. Also might want to ask about wheel bearings - those tend to go way too soon and aren't cheap to fix! Otherwise, I'd say a good buy given the mileage, for sure!
The PCV system has not been replaced yet. According to my research, it is a fleet-wide free service campaign that is covered even after the standard warranty period expires?

I'm going to have to go in to a dealer to have the all-windows-down functionality enabled. I read that when the writing harness were corroding, owners would walk outside to find all their windows rolled down. To fix the problem, Volvo started disabling that feature. I want it enabled!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts