SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here currently living in Spain. Looking at a 2004 V70R tomorrow with 210,000km (130,000 miles) on it and wanted to see what I might be getting myself into should I get it.

Has a rebuilt CEM by XeMODeX (no idea who that is), new OEM 4C shocks/struts/springs, an entirely new fuel system all OEM except a Skandix pump, new OEM water pump, new OEM timing belt, new OEM plugs, new OEM O2 sensor and a list of other small maintenance stuff all done by a local shop here in Spain that I actually have been to and know is good.

Its metallic black with the atacama leather. Says garage kept and in the pics it looks mint inside and out. Asking price is $13k USD. Says the only issue with the car at all is the sunroof is inop currently.

Anything specific I should be looking for or asking about? Thanks in advance.

Registered
Have it scanned with vida to make sure all modules and elements are operational and communicating. Get under it and look for leaks. Axles, rack, turbo, angle gear, motor rms at (firewall side) and the front of the motor left side if looking at the car. Xemodex is in Canada and does a reflow of key modules so this is good. CEM is key for sure. 馃榿 Look at all the hoses for dry rot or cracks. Pull the dipstick and the filler cap and see if oil is clean. Put dipstick back in and do a glove test both at idle and under a bit of load to see if pcv is clear. If it鈥檚 an automatic drive it warmed up and see if you notice ANY shift flares. Pretend like you鈥檙e in traffic and pay attention to up and downshifts under different conditions like coast and upshift at different speeds from low to high and vice versa.
If you can find a hydrocarbon test nearby see if you can snag and check for cracked block. If not maybe put a deposit contingent upon a clean test if you like the car.
Nice find with atacama!

Registered
Also- get a look at all receipts. The sunroof may simply be that someone pulled that fuse as it鈥檚 tied to the alarm module and they go bad- sometimes sounding off because the internal module battery leaks onto the board. That鈥檚 not an awful fix.
Hi, new here currently living in Spain. Looking at a 2004 V70R tomorrow with 210,000km (130,000 miles) on it and wanted to see what I might be getting myself into should I get it.

Has a rebuilt CEM by XeMODeX (no idea who that is), new OEM 4C shocks/struts/springs, an entirely new fuel system all OEM except a Skandix pump, new OEM water pump, new OEM timing belt, new OEM plugs, new OEM O2 sensor and a list of other small maintenance stuff all done by a local shop here in Spain that I actually have been to and know is good.

Its metallic black with the atacama leather. Says garage kept and in the pics it looks mint inside and out. Asking price is $13k USD. Says the only issue with the car at all is the sunroof is inop currently.

Anything specific I should be looking for or asking about? Thanks in advance.

Registered
2004 V70R (Titanium Grey/Nord) / 2016 XC90 T6
Also- get a look at all receipts. The sunroof may simply be that someone pulled that fuse as it鈥檚 tied to the alarm module and they go bad- sometimes sounding off because the internal module battery leaks onto the board. That鈥檚 not an awful fix.
Agreed. Press the panic button and see if the siren works, if you hear nothing, I bet that's the problem. Happened on my old S60. Instead of replacing it I just cut the wire to it and sunroof worked.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I'll have to look up what a couple of the terms are for this car but that shouldn't be too bad thank you guys for the helpful posts and the advice. I'm going to assume since nobody said anything that the price is fair I looked at a couple comparable ones and it seems like this might be actually underpriced but I'm not super familiar with the market for these right now.

I'll make a list of all the stuff as far as the checklist goes and make sure I take check the boxes off it's a 6-speed manual so that's awesome too. The car is owned by an older guy who's moving jobs and was planning on keeping the car but he's getting sent back to the US a lot earlier than he thought and the car isn't old enough to take back to the US without a significant investment to make it legal before it turns 25 years old.

Registered
Didn't see it in the list, but ask if the angle gear/sleeve has been replaced in recent year(s). When I got mine(couple weeks ago) seemed aside from the normal items (timing belt, water pump, etc) the 4C suspension and Angle gear were unique/common to s60r/v70rs.

Make sure to drive and use every gear.

If 4C Suspension is not working properly, or warnings on dash for configuration, that is a expensive repair.

If you notice any clutch slipping or transmission/flywheel issues, that is also a very expensive parts + labor intensive job.

Ensure driving plenty of time to get it up to temp and under load. If any issues with overheating, etc be very concerned(walk away). Temp should stay steady once warmed up.

These cars are also known for cracking their blocks. One of the first things I did after buying was test for that, not sure how weird that be to do before buying the car tho :X

In general anything that made me feel the engine had any sort of issue -- from overheating to misfires -- i'd at minimum do a combustion test, vida, and get a very good understanding of what the problem is.

I've had some bad luck with mine, still happy with the car. Will fix what needs to be fix and drive it, but it is not going to be cheap. I'm up to atleast 2500 USD in just parts -- brakes, suspension, clutch/flywheel .

Premium Member
I was betting that being a Euro model, odds were it was an MT. Big thumbs up on that.
Considering that fact, and the condition, service history, and if everything works as it should (besides the sunroof). I'd say the price is Good to Really Good 馃槈.
Edit: And that's in comparison to the American market. In the European market, it sounds even better.

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cracked blocked that sounds like it could be problematic... Is that something that can happen anytime or if it was going to happen I would have already happened? Anything you can do to prevent it or was it just something where there was too much power for the block to handle? This is an 04 from my understanding did not have as much torque as the 05 through '07 so maybe that's a good thing?

For the 4C suspension he claims it's all new and was installed by a shop around here that I've been to before so I'll be able to check the records there if he doesn't have them but I'm sure he does.

Registered
2009 C30 T5 R-Design; 2008 XC70 3.2NA
Honestly, with the V70R MT becoming an increasingly rare beast as time goes on, I'd be ok with even something as catastrophic as a blown engine. So long as the exterior and interior are in good shape, I would happily deal with any mechanical issues. Congrats on the find. Hope it works out!
Just be ready to pull the trigger because as soon as you test drive it, you won't be walking away. ;)

And yeah. Xemodex is very reputable. A bunch here have used them. They do good work and back it up too.

Registered
Cracked blocked that sounds like it could be problematic... Is that something that can happen anytime or if it was going to happen I would have already happened? Anything you can do to prevent it or was it just something where there was too much power for the block to handle? This is an 04 from my understanding did not have as much torque as the 05 through '07 so maybe that's a good thing?

For the 4C suspension he claims it's all new and was installed by a shop around here that I've been to before so I'll be able to check the records there if he doesn't have them but I'm sure he does.

Honestly no idea, just was one of the concerns when I was researching a few weeks ago. Symptoms can vary from very noticeable to not at all. Naturally something like overheating or 'head gasket issue' is 9/10 going to be the cracked block. The preventative is to shim the block, no idea how many folks actually do that though, as it requires pulling the head.

I had some bad luck with mine - The new 4C Strut ripped a wire out 30 minutes after buying it while driving home, rendering 4C dead and need to replace both front struts to fix :)

After the bad luck it made me want to double check the block before investing in the car (suspension, brakes, etc) even tho I had no symptoms of a crack. It's a cheap test kit but does require 20-30 minutes, and the car to not of been driven when you arrive (So you can remove the reservoir cap). No idea if doing one be paranoid, or if i was wreckless not doing it when I bought mine :)

Registered

The block cracking seems to happen to about ~20% of cars. Can happen anytime really (ask me how I know 馃檭). A lot of people will never have to worry about it but it seems to kinda happen out of the blue. I wouldn't worry too much about it but it's definitely something to consider. You can shim the block but that obviously requires pulling the head.

Only the 04-05 automatics were torque limited. MT cars got all the juice.

Aside from all that it seems like the car has been well maintained and is also a really nice spec. Everyone so far has offered great pre-purchase advice and if it all checks out I'd go for it. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went and saw it.

The Good:

-Body very clean, paint could use a touch up or re-spray but its OG 2004 paint so that's expected. It's in very good shape for 2004.
-Interior has a few head scratchers like "how did that ding/scratch get there, what on earth was going on?" but overall good. Seats are good, carpet is good.
-0 leaks I could see, smelled no oil or antifreeze or anything with the car running before and after test drive. Hoses were new looking, glove test passed, everything was dry.
-Shifted well, clutch had good engagement, the 4C suspension is brand new and worked in all 3 categories, definitely has power hiding up top in the RPM band, not like the V8s I'm used to but was not expecting it to be.
-All interior items worked fine minus the sunroof which may actually work but the module is showing red and the owner really didn't want me to try to open it and then have it stick or jam up so I didn't. The panic button worked.
-Pilot Sport S tires are brand new, car tracks straight.
-All switches, buttons, windows etc... worked. AC cold, heat hot. Did not smell antifreeze with the heat on.

The Bad:

• All 4 rims have pretty bad curb rash, I could see it pulling up from a good distance away.
  • The center console looks like Van Damme had just used it but the owner said the center consoles are a known issue and a replacement kit is made so I'll look that up.
  • Shifter knob was pretty sloppy/loose
  • Brake Pressure Sensor 1 is flagged on cluster, the owner does have 2 brand new ones and it looks like they are easy to get at.
  • I really had to get on the brakes to bring the car down from speed but this may be me just not being used to them and also this is a heavy car. Maybe because of the sensor?

I made an offer on it, the seller has one other interested party so I will hear back and go from there.

Registered
2004 V70R (Titanium Grey/Nord) / 2016 XC90 T6
Went and saw it.

The Good:

-Body very clean, paint could use a touch up or re-spray but its OG 2004 paint so that's expected. It's in very good shape for 2004.
-Interior has a few head scratchers like "how did that ding/scratch get there, what on earth was going on?" but overall good. Seats are good, carpet is good.
-0 leaks I could see, smelled no oil or antifreeze or anything with the car running before and after test drive. Hoses were new looking, glove test passed, everything was dry.
-Shifted well, clutch had good engagement, the 4C suspension is brand new and worked in all 3 categories, definitely has power hiding up top in the RPM band, not like the V8s I'm used to but was not expecting it to be.
-All interior items worked fine minus the sunroof which may actually work but the module is showing red and the owner really didn't want me to try to open it and then have it stick or jam up so I didn't. The panic button worked.
-Pilot Sport S tires are brand new, car tracks straight.
-All switches, buttons, windows etc... worked. AC cold, heat hot. Did not smell antifreeze with the heat on.

The Bad:

• All 4 rims have pretty bad curb rash, I could see it pulling up from a good distance away.
  • The center console looks like Van Damme had just used it but the owner said the center consoles are a known issue and a replacement kit is made so I'll look that up.
  • Shifter knob was pretty sloppy/loose
  • Brake Pressure Sensor 1 is flagged on cluster, the owner does have 2 brand new ones and it looks like they are easy to get at.
  • I really had to get on the brakes to bring the car down from speed but this may be me just not being used to them and also this is a heavy car. Maybe because of the sensor?

I made an offer on it, the seller has one other interested party so I will hear back and go from there.
Sounds like a great deal, If you're a DIYer 05+ console swap is the way to go.

Show me 4 original pegs with no curb rash and Ill give you a high five. Most people get them refinished and powder coat them.

Seems like a solid car I hope it all works out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had four wheels on my cobra that were in way way worse shape that I had to refinished at a local shop for $100 each but where I am now I have no idea where I'd even start to look but I'm sure somebody does.

Definitely DIY I've done engine swaps transmission swaps electronics a whole bunch of different things on my Cobra and other mustangs and a couple other cars so yeah.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So my offer was accepted! Now I am fighting my bank which of course flagged the transfer of funds as "possible fraud" and I'm 6 hours ahead of them timewise so that's fun. Ah well I'll get it done. One of the issues living overseas.

Anyways, gonna do my normal fluids/brakes once I have it and then go from there. Definitely am going to want to swap the console to 05+, there is a gouge in the glovebox so I'll be looking for a replacement that is clean and then the aluminum trim on the driver's door around the handle has a bunch of little dents in it. The piece is listed separately on Tasca so I'm assuming it is swappable but I'll have to see. After that it'll be figuring out how to put a nice Android Auto touchscreen in and how much of a pain it is to do better speakers. Apparently adapter brackets are needed for speakers? Saw a few articles that said its a pain and you have to DIY brackets but I have a 3D printer so I'm sure I could print adapters if nothing is available.

And for the console, I see the console is available on Tasca but not sure if its the whole thing or exactly what parts I need or if its better to just get a clean 05-07 from a parts car so any advice there would be awesome.

Registered
Do the console swap, it's simple enough. Find an 05-07 in good condition and get rid of the tired one you have.

Dings on interior panels are common these. with some of the trim being just brushed aluminum you can easily ding it by dropping the key on the shifter surround.

If the shifter feels very sloppy, pull the air box and check the cables where they attach to the gearbox. I had to replace them on my 04. Hopefully you can still find them in Europe, I know there was some issue with finding 04 specific ones in the US 10 years ago and people were swapping out the shifter plate on the trans at the same time as they were replacing the cables. Not an awful repair, it's just more of a nuisance than anything.

Curb rash will most likely be something to watch out for as you drive it. These cars have the turning radius of a container ship.

Registered
Same problem with all 2.5T with higher output. Even a small numbers of stock 2.5T have gotten cracked cyliner walls. You could check the toruqe on the headbolts or replace with ARP or new OE. If you get water in the cylinder during a WOT, cylinder walls will not last long. I was lucky my block survived when my head gasket and coolant hose blew.

Can be mitigated somewhat with a good tune with boost control on lower revs.
2.4 have thicker walls and the older R engines had 2.3 block. Both prefered over the 2.5 block by tuners with big turbos.

But yeah if your engine have survived this far, its less likely to happen imo.
Good oil and let the engine heat up before thrasing it, but those rules apply to most engines.

Registered
Happy for you! Post pics when she鈥檚 home!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts