SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is looking for a new business sedan, (she currently drives a 2010 Jetta with 180k :thumbdown: ) The seller is asking $5500, he says he has 3800 in receipts for service all done locally, but he didn't have the timing belt done. Otherwise it looks pretty clean. I really like my 2005 M66 T5 AWD, but it's at 76k so I really don't know much about how they age. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow for her since it is right next to my house.

Compound question:

1.) How much has a timing belt cost your guys if you had it done at a shop?
2.) How much should he reasonably come down because of this needing to be done?

Other advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
1. Timing belt at shop will be upwards of $500 but ive been quoted as high as $1,500 at the dealership.
2. At the end of the day whats reasonable is going to be based on discretion, whats the condition of the car in relation to the amount you will spend on maintenance and can you find a better bargain - it never hurts to use as leverage to get a better price.

At this age and mileage you will also need to consider the PVC system, the upper radiator hose and the front suspension if it has not been tended to already - these will go soon if they have not already.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Timing belt at shop will be upwards of $500 but ive been quoted as high as $1,500 at the dealership.
2. At the end of the day whats reasonable is going to be based on discretion, whats the condition of the car in relation to the amount you will spend on maintenance and can you find a better bargain - it never hurts to use as leverage to get a better price.

At this age and mileage you will also need to consider the PVC system, the upper radiator hose and the front suspension if it has not been tended to already - these will go soon if they have not already.
What typically goes on the suspension?

I probably need to think about an upper radiator hose for my current S40 as well...I have an engine mount waiting to go in too.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Lower control arms (LCA's), struts and mounts, and hubs are pretty common. IMO the parts are very affordable but only if you intend to do it yourself as most shops wont take parts.

·
Registered
723 Posts
$5500 seems a tad high, my daughters 07’ 2.4, at 87k miles was $4500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks, do the AWD/T5 cars typically fetch any higher price over a 2.4 at this point in these cars age/mileage?
I'm sure they do, would want to see it around $5000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
192 Posts
Figure out a decent price and take 2/3 of the timing belt cost off it and offer that- plus check the receipts- I bought one car where the sticker showed it was changed 120000km previously but had a receipt within 14000 km

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks OK to me, interior could be cleaner. Check headliner for droops and check carpet for dampness. Pictures were taken at twilight when cars all look dreamy.

I think it has premium sound (center speaker), that's a big plus to me, as I have the base audio and it's kind of horrible... our cars have several other options that you may want - heated seats, seat memory, blind spot detection, advanced stability control (looks like it doesn't have this), auto windshield wipers, auto dim mirror.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there appears to be some dirt on the interior. My '05 has premium sound, and it's pretty nice, but no aux jack or bluetooth, both of which are to be expected with a 2005. Do the later cars have these features?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at it, turns out that the timing belt, water pump, front struts, engine mounts and some other stuff has been done at 94K.

The interior was like 6/10, with some tearing on the driver's seat leather, loose E-brake boot, worn stereo buttons, other general wear. Paint looked ok, the headlights were very suspiciously brand new looking. The car was warm when I got there, so I could not start it and listen for the squeal followed by chugging sound that indicates loose nuts and/or a bad exhaust manifold gasket.

Overall a decent little car, and I'd pick her up right now if it were $4k.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I would highly suggest taking an OBDII reader with you to see if it kicks any codes after a drive, as for the chugging noise that also sounds like a bad coil pack.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Has Orpheus wheels on it from the P2 series so it's running hub rings (most likely) or adapters.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure on which headlights, I forgot to ask. I have HIDs in mine, Halogens would be a buzzkill for sure.

I'm not fond of seat tears either...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
They look like the same wheels as my 2009 s40 which are stock, so I think they are probably a direct fit.
Not 100% saying you're wrong but I've had three sets of Orpheus over the years and I'm nearly 100% sure those are the wheels on that car (leaving myself .01% leeway :D )

Those are definitely not Spartacus wheels which are probably what you have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts