SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. im thinking of picking up a Volvo V70 R AWD for a daily driver.

I'm under the impression that these cars are really reliable, as the only ones on eBay have more than 150K on them.

My mom had an 00 and absolutely loved it, as did I. It's practical, decent on gas, performs great and is an AWESOME sleeper.

This isn't it but it was exactly this

Anything for me to look out for? Trouble spots?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (chinny4290)

Welcome to Swedespeed!!

If you're looking for information concerning the '98-'00 series Volvo's, your best bet would be to check this forum. Unfortunately, the R Forum is pretty much just for the P2 series ('04-'07 S60 and V70R's).

Again, welcome to SS, and good luck in your search!!

-Steve

EDIT: This is one of the threads in that above linked forum that would be beneficial in your search.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (JRL)

They're reliable only if you keep up with the maintenance. They aren't Toyotas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (volvotool)

I have two Benzes, both of which I'm very punctual on maintenance with and take care of religiously so I'm aware of maintenace with Euro cars

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chinny4290 »
I have two Benzes, both of which I'm very punctual on maintenance with and take care of religiously so I'm aware of maintenace with Euro cars

These are different.
AWD components WILL fail at some point, it just depends at what mileage!

·
Registered
15,425 Posts

Since these cars are now 9-11 years old now, having a good idea of what service work has been done will be critical. They don't cost a lot to purchase but can cost a lot to bring back to stage 0 condition if no work has been done to it.

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
They don't cost a lot to purchase but can cost a lot to bring back to stage 0 condition if no work has been done to it.

How much you might be wondering? set aside $10k if you plan on using your Volvo dealer. Still want a V70R?
For a daily driver, a FWD T5 or GLT with some mods might be a more enjoyable, and less costly venture. But as Wayne said, these are all 10 yrs old so you will have some maintenance, no matter which model, so still set aside $5k-10k just in case and get to know your service adviser.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

How much you might be wondering? set aside $10k if you plan on using your Volvo dealer. Still want a V70R?
For a daily driver, a FWD T5 or GLT with some mods might be a more enjoyable, and less costly venture. But as Wayne said, these are all 10 yrs old so you will have some maintenance, no matter which model, so still set aside $5k-10k just in case and get to know your service adviser.

Holy Shnikies, 10K???!!!

Look, these things are not Hondas/Toyotas, and has been mentioned, it would be really good to get one with a decent service history. Like any European car, they will punish you for any maintenance/service that's been neglected in the past. But I wouldn't expect to automatically buy the car all over again in service costs.

Be patient and look around (maybe elsewhere than eBay - craigslist can be good), you will find a lot of R's. Most of these will be in the 100-130K mile range now, but once in a while one will be lower and the price will reflect that. Here's how mine went, and I think it's probably typical: I bought a 2000 V70R a year and a half ago long-distance for $10K, with 93K miles. History unknown (except for a Carfax), NO service records. When I got it, I spent about $2500 on it at my Volvo indy shop, doing the 90K service, all fluids changed, vacuum lines and whatever else it needed to get to Stage 0, including timing belt/water pump. That also covered a couple engine mounts, a missing gravel shield and some other little things. I've given it a workout as a DD since then, at about 22K miles a year. All I've had to do besides oil changes and tires is the ETM module (pull it put yourself and send it away for refurb, cheap), and reseal the angle gear. Total cost: about $550, in 30,000 miles. If I had spent even HALF of $10,000 on upkeep, I'd be serial-killer mad. The AWD components are vulnerable and will fail eventually over time, but I think it's manageable.

The potential is certainly there for one of these cars to be a money pit, but I think most are decent when serviced faithfully. When you do find one, having somebody (Volvo shop) look it over as a PPI would be money well spent. Notice that this isn't the way I did it with this one
, but I've done it with other cars and it's definitely the way to go.

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (Bearclaw)

Quote, originally posted by Bearclaw »

Holy Shnikies, 10K???!!!

Its a preparatory budget that might or might not be needed. Knowing what the potential could be for the next couple of years might give someone pause if they are on the fence between, say a used 2003 V70 T5 for a few thousand more or a 2000 V70R - not that the '03s wouldn't cost money but I think you get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Chris,

I am planning on buying a GLT or T5 and doing mods, but why is a R more costly to upkeep? Obviously any of them can be if not kept up with but what is it about the R? Just curious, I'm new to the Volvo scene but I have a friend whose wife has an S60 and he an S70. They both love them and say they've been great cars, hers almost 100k, his approaching 200k.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The GLT and T5 will have similar issues between each other. The R will have similar issues as well with the addition of its AWD system and the potential issues involved - same as an LPT AWD/XC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD ([email protected])

Well I'm a pretty good DIYer so I know I'll be saving money by doing that.

But really $5-10k for after-purchase repair? Honestly that's worse than my mercedes, but then again what I came across was rare (E320 Coupe, meticulously cared for, only needed 75K check up and new tires). Even then a year later we've only spent letss than $2k keeping it up and I put a solid 25k miles on it in one year.

And yes I still want an R

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

You can buy mine for $11,500, best 2000 out there, needs ZIP.
(The 5-$10K has already been spent on it
)

This is a better picture but has the Comets on that are not on the car anymore.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Re: Looking at 98-00 V70 R AWD (Bearclaw)

Quote »
I bought a 2000 V70R a year and a half ago long-distance for $10K, with 93K miles. History unknown (except for a Carfax), NO service records. When I got it, I spent about $2500 on it at my Volvo indy shop, doing the 90K service, all fluids changed, vacuum lines and whatever else it needed to get to Stage 0, including timing belt/water pump. That also covered a couple engine mounts, a missing gravel shield and some other little things. I've given it a workout as a DD since then, at about 22K miles a year. All I've had to do besides oil changes and tires is the ETM module (pull it put yourself and send it away for refurb, cheap), and reseal the angle gear. Total cost: about $550, in 30,000 miles. If I had spent even HALF of $10,000 on upkeep, I'd be serial-killer mad. The AWD components are vulnerable and will fail eventually over time, but I think it's manageable.

Wow. Our experiences are nearly identical. And the gloom-and-doom in this thread is a bit much. We purchased an R with the same mileage and have almost exactly that into it for maintenance, including the angle gear reseal.

The upside is, the car is STILL a blast to drive. Solid, tight and responsive. And this cannot be overstated: The AWD system simply blows away the FWD cars in snow and bad weather. So much so that you'd be hard-pressed to tell they're built on the same chassis. Short of black ice and four-foot drifts, nothing stops the R in the winter with snow tires.

I think the $10k figure is a worst-case scenario for all the major components failing at the same time, and you'd have to be an extremely unlucky person to have all that go wrong all at once.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Quote »
You can buy mine for $11,500, best 2000 out there, needs ZIP.

Nothing against your car Jim, by our silver R drives just as nice as yours even though we're up to 134k. It is entirely possible to keep up with the maintenance on these cars so that they're every bit as much fun to drive as a car with half the mileage.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by volvotool »

Nothing against your car Jim, by our silver R drives just as nice as yours even though we're up to 134k. It is entirely possible to keep up with the maintenance on these cars so that they're every bit as much fun to drive as a car with half the mileage.

Well since you bought it from me I should know exactly how it drove at 90K, (pretty good if I recall), except the Nivos were a bit weak.
Unless you replaced them it can't drive as nice as this one.
Right now it actually drives better than when I bought it at 75K miles.
The difference is I already spent the money on this one, bevel gear seals, t belt, 90K service, TWO tranny flushes, software and adaptors, blower motor and resistor, e-brakes, 2 speakers, etc, etc, etc! I forget half of the stuff I did.

BUT... the one BIG difference is that I can SEE better, (E CODES, $800
) and you can't argue that fact

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Let's not forget the entire front end rebuild with Konis four-five months ago

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

The point was that there's no need to fear mileage with these cars as long as one keeps up with the maintenance. In fact, I'd rather have a 100k-plus car with meticulous records than a "mystery" car with low miles.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by volvotool »
In fact, I'd rather have a 100k-plus car with meticulous records than a "mystery" car with low miles.

Absolutely

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Totally agree. Plus, you figure around 90K there's a lot of stuff to do. The major service stuff plus possibly a lot of suspension (dependent on where/how it was driven), plus a timing belt that is either over-due or due b/c of time at this point.

Probably a car that has 130K on it if it has a good history has had many of these things done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.