SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -
I'm on the hunt for a 2007 XC70 (WITH AUX!!) and I've found one with 90k miles, but it's the turbo engine. Should I avoid that engine? We are trying to find a reliable car that is under $10k and has to be AWD.

Thank you,

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Every 1998-2007 XC70 has a turbo. The 2.5t is pretty bulletproof. Also turbos are fun and increase drafty because they give a 3800lb car the ability to get out of its own way...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Check maintenance records. 2007 will need a timing belt at 10 years, check PCV system, drive for 1/2 hour to evaluate transmission. Front suspension bushings probably need replacement. Plan on changing all drive train fluids. Make sure the AWD system works.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Check maintenance records. 2007 will need a timing belt at 10 years, check PCV system, drive for 1/2 hour to evaluate transmission. Front suspension bushings probably need replacement. Plan on changing all drive train fluids. Make sure the AWD system works.
All of this. When you test drive it make sure to hit redline... An aux jack is less important than premium audio... Stock P2 sound it mediocre in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I will never buy a non-turbo Volvo ever again. It takes nothing from the reliability and adds a tremendous amount of power and torque.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Make sure you floor it from a stop to make sure the awd works! An 06 I looked at with only 72k miles didn't have working awd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most car forums are populated by posters looking for info or help fixing this or that and Volvo forums are no exception. However I have observed that there are very few questions or problems being posted about XC70 engines.

I may have missed it but I did not see anything in my owners manual saying that you should let the engine idle for a minute or two before shutting down the engine after hard boosted driving. I make sure I do this to my XC70 as well as with my other turbo car and truck.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
My 04 manual definitely says to idle down after spirited driving. But I only recently noticed that :) I try to do it now when time allows...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yeah its in the 04 manual, and if you can't find it, here is anecdotal advice: to preserve the life of your turbo, let the oil warm up before making the turbo work when cold, and let the turbo cool after you have forced it to work. As far as I am concerned, I let the temp gauge lift off a bit before I consider getting on the throttle, and I try to get a minimum of a mile of "granny driving" before shutting down. If I can't go that distance I let it idle for 20-30 sec. Is it enough? maybe, maybe not. But I haven't had any real issues present themselves yet after 6 years of ownership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I lost a real nice 2006 today with 44k miles on it. The dealer just wasn't making any concession on the xc70 nor my trade... frustrating. Someone after me came in and scooped it up for list price and didn't even ask questions (there were a few things needed, such are timing belt replacement). Damn.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Hostileharry- that one wasn't meant to be. Keep looking, find one, and try everything you've been reading here, and then drive more of them. You'll get a feel for them and which ones were taken care of and which ones were flogged and trashed or neglected. Mine had a lot of work done to it and I could tell by driving but three times now in a year it has been towed. Seal blew for the recirc venting (clogged pcv), the coils died and now the alternator. Other than that, the price was really good and the car was and is solid. Can't beat these for safety, comfort and just plain style that doesn't come with a Japanese car. Can't fault those but they have no souls and aren't as comfortable. Forget aux and get a grom. That's my next purchase after tires for my s60.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
A Volvo tech friend of mine also said never shut the car down if the radiator fan is running, that's a sign that the engine is super hot and needs to keep circulating the coolant for a minute or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts