SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things that I should be looking at?

Usually just the 3.2 FWD

But I have seen some T6 AWD..

I currently have 2006 S40 and 2015.5 XC70 :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey glad to hear you’re looking to add another Volvo to your fleet! I’m not quite sure what you’re asking, could you be more specific on what you would like to know?
Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For example with s40s we should look at the upper radiator hose (known leak spot)
Motor mounts and lower control arms for one ;) Ok the entire suspension lol...

Still learning the xc70 but it was a cert preowned.. Still under warranty.. So nothing to do yet ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
For example with s40s we should look at the upper radiator hose (known leak spot)
Motor mounts and lower control arms for one ;) Ok the entire suspension lol...

Still learning the xc70 but it was a cert preowned.. Still under warranty.. So nothing to do yet ;)
Everything here is off the top of my head, hopefully others will chime in.
Alternators (Most common on the V8 models but they do go bad on the 3.2 and T6. Mine went at 112k miles.)
Upper torque mount on the passenger of the engine (Easy to replace and inexpensive.)
The engine mount underneath said torque rod. (Slightly more difficult but still easy and inexpensive.)
Torque converters on 2007 and 2008 models are something I've heard of. Seems to cause annoying shifting rather than just failing. The car can still be driven I think.
R.E.A.D. Assembly (Very rare but if it does happen, you'll be out a decent amount of money, upwards of $3k and above depending on the repairer. It's characterized by a loud grinding noise coming from the belt area. If you here a noise from there, don't assume the worst. Most times it'll be something else like a pulley or water pump. But definitely have it checked out before buying if something sounds off.)
Some of the 6 cylinders had oil consumption issues. Most cars with this issue were likely repaired under warranty. But be aware of it.
Power steering making noise, likely due to the reservoir filter being clogged up. This remedied by replacing fluid and reservoir usually. People mistake this and replace pump when it wasn't necessary.
Differentials on AWD models is something that is talked about sometimes. Volvo will try to replace the whole thing, but a service kit is available from Land Rover. I think it makes a whining noise at high speed but I am not positive. Most cars with this issue seem to be V8 models and not the T6.
PCV Box (Same exact symptoms as an S40. You'll get a very loud high pitched whistle. The PCV can be replaced in under 10 minutes, it's located on top of the engine behind the coil packs, it's a big black box.)
Vacuum pump seal, not a big deal and easy to replace. It causes an oil leak from the driver side.
Rear trailing arm bushings. Not sure how common this is, but it's been mentioned before.

Ok so with all those it sounds like these cars are unreliable. I would argue against that, the only issues here that you will probably experience in your ownership are the torque rod failing, the mount under it failing, the leaky vacuum pump seal, maybe the PCV, and maybe the alternator. I put maybe before the last 2 because those do not seem as common as the first 3. All 5 of the items are easily replaced and diy friendly with the alternator being the most difficult because of it's location. The remaining issues are either rare to begin with, or would likely have occurred early in the car's life and have since been repaired. As with all used cars, use your best judgement when shopping. Look out for unusual noises while driving and odd shifting behavior. Make sure the everything that you care about works. The most reliable S80 configuration will the FWD 3.2. The T6 adds complexity with AWD and turbos but is still a robust car. Be aware that the drive belt is due to be replaced at 150k miles and isn't particularly easy to replace either. The suspension on these cars is far more durable than the P2 or P1 cars it seems. Best of luck with shopping and hopefully anybody can add things I forgot or correct me if I'm wrong about some things.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What are some things that I should be looking at?

Usually just the 3.2 FWD

But I have seen some T6 AWD..

I currently have 2006 S40 and 2015.5 XC70 :)
Here's what I can report based on experience with a 2010 T6... now at 94K miles and owned for about 5 years since about 48K miles.

1. No oil consumption ever with changes at about 7,500 miles
2. Replaced rear differential... that whining sound mentioned elsewhere was the key alert.
3. Replaced rear trailing arm bushings.. a corrosion problem that supposedly was fixed by new, more durable parts. (This is a Michigan car.)
4. Fixed the vacuum pump seal with a rebuild kit... although the "leak" was best described as "seepage" with no actual oil loss over 6 months or so.
5. Replaced the driver's side door lock mechanism.

Best of memory right now, that's been it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bestbob what is sound of rear diff ? My car makes strange howling sound in 6 gear.

My experience with S80 3.2 AWD 2007 with 340k km's (owning it about 3years)

1. Replace transmission valve body (was hard shifting 2-3 and R) Now it's normal but sometimes it shifts strange but I don't bother because it's old car. 1 year ago
2. Replaced engine radiator 1 year ago (started to leek)
3. Replaced engine fan last week (bearing went bad)
4. Replaced vacuum pump seal (leaked oil)
5. Replaced fuel pressure sensor (showed wrong numbers and car stalled sometimes)
6. Oil is leaking a bit somewhere near R.E.A.D. (It could be through that small pulley with seal)
7. I think PCV is original because the date on it is 2006
8. Previous owner replaced rear differential
9. Replaced all engine mount's except transmission mount (I think it also should be replaced)
10. And car makes strange vibration in about 80-100 km/h (not through steering wheal but through body. I think it's cv axle)
11. Steering pump sometimes makes strange sound (Fluid was changed and reservoir was cleaned)

It's a really pleasant car to drive. 3.2 Is not so sporty but it's also not slow. Awd really helps in winter. (Never been stuck in pile of snow :D)

I think Volvo has few largest problems for me is:

1. Valve body is not cheep to replace and shifts are not super smooth after paying 1k but it's better than it was
2. I think Volvo parts is a bit expensive comparing to bmw or audi.
3. Add genuine backup camera or usb cost's a lot of money (Volvo programming is really expensive)
4. I think navi was already outdated in 2007 comparing to other cars.

if not valve body I could say that other fixes are not so expensive :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
1. If you work on your own cars you can do the Valve Body yourself. Don`t buy a a rebuilt Valve Body as Edgaras or you`'ll have his less than perfect result. Buy the OEM from Volvo for around $1400.

2. Volvo parts in the USA can be had for not overly expensive prices by using part suppliers like FCPEuro.

3. Backup cam can be done inexpensively Volvotech`s CFE+ and their Cam for $300, plugs into the OBD 2 port. The OEM Volvo cam is a nightmare to install and overly expensive.

4. The Nav is OK, but every year they get better so that`s a battle you can`t really win.

There`s a V8 AWD also. For the least amount of upkeep costs the 3.2 is best bet. V8 and T6 AWD will be about the same. V8 Gas mileage is not great, but not horrible.

·
Registered
221 Posts
VB was new. Not rebuilt :)
TF80SC is not Volvos. This VB is used in a lot of other cars. And yes if you buy directly from Volvo it will cost more.
Transmission is not perfect but maybe that's how it works. Never tried other s80 3.2 so can't compare :)
The one problem that I have is random shudder shifting 3-4.

And yes about CFE+ you're right :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The symptoms are VB body problems still. Yes this transmission is used in many cars. From whom did you purchase you VB from? I Just replaced a VB in a V8 with shifting issues like yours using OEM Volvo $1400. Now it`s perfect. No, the way your transmission shifts is not how they work.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This is what a bad rear diff sounds like
https://youtu.be/isOtV_vYxTY

If it goes bad it’ll be an expensive repair, but there are other options other than a new Volvo diff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is what a bad rear diff sounds like
https://youtu.be/isOtV_vYxTY

If it goes bad it’ll be an expensive repair, but there are other options other than a new Volvo diff.

That's about what mine sounded like... although I never heard it from outside the car, it was an obvious whine at maybe 60 mph or so from inside the car. Cost for new unit at Volvo dealer was about $5700 installed. Had an indie quote for about $7200 for new, installed. Dealer install has lifetime warranty to owner at time of replacement.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You can buy a rebuilt diff from Land Rover for way less than a Volvo one. It bolts right up, only difference is it has extra mounting holes on the bottom that you don’t use on the Volvo

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't know because service where I fixed my car they ordered new part and installed. They were specializing in automatic transmissions repair. And at local Volvo dealer updated transmission software.
So new VB fixed 2-3 and R problems, shifting falres but after a while I noticed shudder 3-4 (random). I called to the service guy, explained and they said that it must be torque converter. So it's about a year and nothing is going worse. I think I will replace just fluid and do adaptation :)

And about rear diff. I don't know if this rear diff sound but mine makes exact same sound at same speed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DuVu6piu0s
Fluid in rear diff is also replaced.

So going back to helping a guy to pick a right car :D

1. 3.2 engine is great for maintenance and durability. Mine has 340k km's and no serious damage. I seen one with about 450k km's (It looks like 3.2 engine last's longer than turbo engines)
2. Before purchase ensure that rear wheels spins. (haldex works)
3. Check for strange shifting, kicking, slipping. (mostly with tf80sc is 2-3 and R)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sounds like torque converter. Adaptation won`t change a thing and you have fluid that`s basically new. Nothing lasts forever with cars and 340km is getting up there.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The video you posted sounds exactly like my car did from the inside when the rear diff was going out

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm thinking it's torque converter or rear diff. But the sound is there for about 2 years and everything is the same.
Sound is only in 6th gear at certain speed. When car is in 5th gear and in same speed no sound.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm thinking it's torque converter or rear diff. But the sound is there for about 2 years and everything is the same.
Sound is only in 6th gear at certain speed. When car is in 5th gear and in same speed no sound.
My XC60 does this. Has something to do with the shifter cable vibrating. There is a TSB on it to install a vibration dampener. I’ll try to find it. Nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The TSB code is TJ25918. If you google that code it should give you all the info you need.
Cheers,
Zach

1 - 20 of 23 Posts