SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found a v70r here in Denver randomly and now I'm trying to see if it would be worth buying. It's an 06 with 98k on it, one owner for 12.5k. I've confirmed that the timing belt has not been done yet, but haven't asked anything else yet. What other items should I ask about? Rear seal? This car just popped up and I had pretty much given up on buying an R, but I don't want to pass this one up if it would be a good buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
MT or GT? The 06 GT (auto) cars had valve body issues.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, it is an automatic. Seller has said that "auto has been very well maintained". Just because there hasn't been an issue yet, doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Sorry, it is an automatic. Seller has said that "auto has been very well maintained". Just because there hasn't been an issue yet, doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Good to know, thanks.
If the valve body is before a certain serial # it is pretty guaranteed to fail. Records records records.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. So the serial number on the transmission itself correct? I wouldn't be able to determine the likelihood with the vin by itself right?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Gotcha. So the serial number on the transmission itself correct? I wouldn't be able to determine the likelihood with the vin by itself right?
I'm pretty sure it's the serial # on the tranny. You should ask someone with an 06 GT car or look up the TNN for the valve body.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Make sure the struts are in good shape. The shocks should be fine for a while at that mileage. Make sure all 4 tires match and have even wear.
Test the 4C system on test drive. Check all hoses. Sniff around for the sweet smell of maple syrup. Run the heater / AC. Get underneath to check for any leaks. Don't know if needed at that mileage but the PCV system could need a refresh. As mentioned above....records, records and more records.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just curious as to what the cut-off is for the serial number. I just recently purchased an 06 VR automatic and so far have not had any issues.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Even if you fall into the wrong serial number group you are not certain to have the issue, but the risk is there. Its not like every car with that valve body got the cracks so just hope you might be one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all of the information! I just have one additional question. If the car has been maintained well, and I plan on doing the same, can it be a reliable daily driven car. My commute is only 10 miles, but I would let my wife drive it if the snow was bad on her longer commute to be safe. I just don't want to buy a time bomb. Just asking honestly.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Like any other complex modern car, your car may be a nightmare or a dream depending on many things, regular maintenance being one of the most important.

As the old saying goes. 'your mileage may vary', but lots of us love our Rs as a daily driver. Don't let this site spook you too badly since this is the one place many people come when they have issues, but we are still a small percentage of all R owners.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think that Stealthy said it best - these forums are for people with a need. People without a need, or who do dealer service/independent shop service don't need to frequent a site like this.

So yes, you might hear from a bunch of people with X failures, but that doesn't mean they are catastrophic.

I bought the WORST example of an R possible and its not any worse than any other Euro I have owned that was in sad shape.

Do you do your own car work? also, I'm in Denver area if you want someone to go look at it with ya.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
As a fellow CO member, the R is an awesome high altitude car. Enjoy zipping through the high passes at full speed as all the lesser vehicles barely huff through the uphills well under the speed limits, lol. :cool:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that Stealthy said it best - these forums are for people with a need. People without a need, or who do dealer service/independent shop service don't need to frequent a site like this.

So yes, you might hear from a bunch of people with X failures, but that doesn't mean they are catastrophic.

I bought the WORST example of an R possible and its not any worse than any other Euro I have owned that was in sad shape.

Do you do your own car work? also, I'm in Denver area if you want someone to go look at it with ya.
I certainly may take you up on that offer. I appreciate it. I guess the car was serviced at Tim's Volvo service up in arvada since it has been out of warranty. Do any of the Colorado members know anything about that shop? Seems to be pretty good online.

I'm not a stranger to working on my car. I've done a supercharger install on my mustang along with multiple suspension fixes on a few cars of mine so I could do some of the work myself.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
That Passion Red is sexy!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I've yet to hear of a bad Volvo shop in the Denver area.

When you do get it, be sure to watch the regional forum for get together announcements, we're dormant in the winter but moderately active between spring and fall, we do a meet and drive about once a month with some meets that are annual traditions. Several of the regular meet attendees are technicians at the local area Volvo shops as well, so advice is free and easy to get at meets.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, I found a v70r here in Denver randomly and now I'm trying to see if it would be worth buying. It's an 06 with 98k on it, one owner for 12.5k. I've confirmed that the timing belt has not been done yet, but haven't asked anything else yet. What other items should I ask about? Rear seal? This car just popped up and I had pretty much given up on buying an R, but I don't want to pass this one up if it would be a good buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an 06 V70R and I am currently at 140,000 miles. I just changed the shocks/struts, which were probably overdue to begin with. At almost 100,000 miles, I would factor in some maintenance if not already performed as I believe 12.5K is on the high side and if it needs these items, you are going to spend some good change! (timing belt, serpentine belt, thermostat, plugs, fuel filter, and possibly brakes).

Other than regular maintenance, I have not had any real issues...just normal wear and tear items.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I've yet to hear of a bad Volvo shop in the Denver area.

When you do get it, be sure to watch the regional forum for get together announcements, we're dormant in the winter but moderately active between spring and fall, we do a meet and drive about once a month with some meets that are annual traditions. Several of the regular meet attendees are technicians at the local area Volvo shops as well, so advice is free and easy to get at meets.
Since I live just a few hours to the south of you guys I plan on attending one of these when I can. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts