1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
245k miles

High side AC line leaks
Tranny + engine mounts weak
PVC check (less than 20k but smokes out dipstick)
After removing dipstick and oil cap the exhaust smoked for a while.
New tbelt but unsure if water pump done (asking his dad)
Rear wiper motor dead
Valve cover gasket weeping? Smoking badly from top of exhaust manifold. Normally this is an oil leak from the valve cover

Worried that its piston rings if still smoking.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You continue to look at cheap crap
I'm pretty sure you will eventually will wind up with cheap CRAP, so please don't come back here and whine when it dies!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is the first car I've gone to look at... so in terms of CONTINUING. that is inaccurate. I went because it had full service history and was a V70 T5M. I also happened to be in the area when I saw the
I appreciate that you buy and sell cars in great condition, but responses like that don't enamor yourself to me purchasing from you.

That said, I believe due to the issues listed above, I am going to pass. I was informed that these cars don't HAVE valve cover gaskets... and if it's smoking/leaking oil from the valve cover AND is blowing smoke from the dipstick even after having a recently replaced PCV system, that it's more than likely the piston rings.

If someone else is interested, here is the listing:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3290576137.html

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Actually you have.
You've mentioned (asked about) several cars, either with very high miles or potential issues for the past couple of weeks.
Go back and read all your posts in all the sites
This may be the first one you've actually seen but you need to understand that 99% of them will be total junk like the one you just saw.

The good ones people are still driving.

For the life of me I can't understand why that 99T5 (that I bought and subsequently sold in 2 days) was for sale in the first place.
It must be one of the nicest higher mileage cars I've ever seen (not to mention it being a Volvo)!
All it needed was a pair of spring seats and one wheel bearing, otherwise it's as perfect a used car one could find, not to mention at those miles, unreal!

I assume you have been checking out Matthews Volvo site?
A good portion of those cars with wild isssues are from people who were price buying their first Volvo and not understanding these cars and their pitfalls.
It's good that you've been reading up.
Please do some more and you will know what to look for

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, maybe my price range is not realistic and I should just give up on buying a Volvo at this point.

It seems like the good ones aren't for sale or are over my price range.

Maybe I'll end up settling on some toaster appliance for a bit...

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Actually, just about anything/everything less than $4k is going to be crap.

People are not trading/selling unless they HAVE to.

I scour all the local dealers wholesale trades and most of what I see is beyond economical repair, even at wholesale.

Yes, one occasionally will get lucky but that's the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'll keep an eye out. I don't mind a car that's got a bit of a beat up exterior, but I need to have something that's solid on the mechanical front and doesn't smell...
I've got a few more leads I'm going to follow up with.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
In my experience, a beat up exterior will also mean beat up mechanicals, needing a LOT of work...99% of the time.

A slob is a slob is a slob

·
Registered
216 Posts
and even then, the cars just require a lot of care. I bought my R from a Swedespeed member and very thorough mechanic, and it was a solid stage 0. Nonetheless, keeping it at stage 0 became a little pricey.....ABS module here, a half shaft there....then a 8 months later it was control arms, and then tie rods. Then brakes. And of course tires, along with a couple of alignments. And this summer a radiator, and now....LoL well, now an engine, since neither the radiator nor a head gasket solved the oil/coolant volcano in the reservoir problem, and we aren't in a position to delve deeper into the block to find the (probably fatal) culprit.

So $5k to purchase, and in 2 years another $5k in repairs, upgrading whenever possible. Cheaper than a comparably useful new car and the payments? Ya sure. Cheap? erm....no.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my experience, a beat up exterior will also mean beat up mechanicals, needing a LOT of work...99% of the time.

A slob is a slob is a slob
Not always true. I know plenty of guys who have cars that are immaculate inside and under the hood, but their clearcoats popped... Hell, my friend has a show winning VW R32 and his clearcoat popped off and he had to respray the entire car. He detailed that car weekly and nothing stopped it from flaking off on the roof and hood.

Greekone here has a lead on a car matching that description for me. Clean inside and done up under the hood but with a bad clearcoat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
hmm...that might explain all the leaks. my brother's 240 had a plugged pcv system and leaked out of the valve cover like crazy which all went away with a new breather box. i don't understand your logic with the leaks being tied to the piston rings. if it's smoking out the tailpipe a lot, it is probably the oil seals in the turbo, and if it's smoking at the exhaust manifold, it's probably leaking from the valve cover or top pcv vent and seeping onto the hot manifold. the rings would be one of the last things i would suspect. i wouldn't give up hope on this car (because it's a T5M), but be sure to leave some margin in your car budget to get the pcv fixed and make sure you're at stage 0 on the engine.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not always true. I know plenty of guys who have cars that are immaculate inside and under the hood, but their clearcoats popped... Hell, my friend has a show winning VW R32 and his clearcoat popped off and he had to respray the entire car. He detailed that car weekly and nothing stopped it from flaking off on the roof and hood.

Greekone here has a lead on a car matching that description for me. Clean inside and done up under the hood but with a bad clearcoat.
Yeah well, that's VW (and also GM from a few years ago) and Nissan etc the list can go on
HOWEVER
I find Volvo paint to be very durable and if taken care of lasts for a VERY long time.
However if it was re painted along the line all bets are off, at that point s**t happens!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm...that might explain all the leaks. my brother's 240 had a plugged pcv system and leaked out of the valve cover like crazy which all went away with a new breather box. i don't understand your logic with the leaks being tied to the piston rings. if it's smoking out the tailpipe a lot, it is probably the oil seals in the turbo, and if it's smoking at the exhaust manifold, it's probably leaking from the valve cover or top pcv vent and seeping onto the hot manifold. the rings would be one of the last things i would suspect. i wouldn't give up hope on this car (because it's a T5M), but be sure to leave some margin in your car budget to get the pcv fixed and make sure you're at stage 0 on the engine.
My S6 had bad oil seals in the turbo and it smoked badly under acceleration. this one didn't.
Assuming the PCV system was replaced (like I was originally told) the next possible case was the internals

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah well, that's VW (and also GM from a few years ago) and Nissan etc the list can go on
HOWEVER
I find Volvo paint to be very durable and if taken care of lasts for a VERY long time.
However if it was re painted along the line all bets are off, at that point s**t happens!
I've seen plenty of 850s with peeling clearcoat. I figured it was a common issue.
I've also seen 850s with a single stage that are badly faded.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My S6 had bad oil seals in the turbo and it smoked badly under acceleration. this one didn't.
Assuming the PCV system was replaced (like I was originally told) the next possible case was the internals
perchance...but worn rings would produce smoke from the tailpipe, not from the top of the exhaust manifold as you list in the first post. i think that a new pcv system would do this car a lot of good.

imho, if you are looking for a car to just drive and be inexpensive to maintain, look for something else. if you don't mind wrenching and spending money on maintenance and getting a decent, solid car in return then consider the T5. ask me how i know.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've seen plenty of 850s with peeling clearcoat. I figured it was a common issue.
I've also seen 850s with a single stage that are badly faded.
Nope
850s did not come with base coat/clearcoat, whatever you have seen was a (poor) repaint.
ALL are single stage as far as I know

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
well, that's better then... the 855R I'm looking at could potentially be brought back to life with a proper buffing pad.
The car has not been resprayed, but the hood and roof are shot.
Looked like peeling clearcoat to me.

but I guess it could be just an oxidized single stage.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Nope
850s did not come with base coat/clearcoat, whatever you have seen was a (poor) repaint.
ALL are single stage as far as I know
Wrong, Jimbo. 95's didn't, but some 96 + 97 did. Depends on the paint; black ones had clearcoat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts