SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I think Volvo had them at the NY Auto show in a display cabinet, but my pics didn't turn out. They're by a company called Minichamps who actually makes quite a few Volvo 1:43 scale models. I've been thinking of starting a collection.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, but I'd have to get a cabinet to display them if I started a collection like that. I have a few Grand Cherokee models, but that's it. It would have to compete for space with my wife's Hummel & Lladro collection.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
At one time, Ikea made a shelf for CDs that was perfectly sized for placing two cars across. It was a stamped steel box that was available in red, blue and galvanized silver, had three glass shelves and a hinged glass front door and only cost $19.99.

When I bought it, it only had three glass shelves held in place by two steel rods, placed at the front and back of the shelf area through four holes drilled on a plain up the side of the box. There are holes drilled every inch or so, but at proper height for a 1:43 scale car, it had room for about 12 rows I think.

Anyway, I spent a little more money for some aluminum tubes about the same diameter as the rods, and some stainless hex cap screws to hold the rods flush with the box rather than extending out like the ikea design. I bought a red shelf (Audi colors) and have since filled it up almost 100% with silver Audis. The presentation is key, and thus my wife allows it to find a place in our house that's not hidden away (at least until I have kids that'll salivate as they eye those Audis).

I wanted to do a VW and a Volvo collection as well, but unfortunately IKEA has discontinued the product. At $19.99 I should have just bought a couple. Oh well, I keep watching ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I have many 1:18 & 1:24 scale models. So for the only volvo model I have is a 850 Saloon touring car I haven't build yet, (1:24 scale Tamiya kit) but should be nice!

I've seen an S70 model in that 1:48 scale but the price considering the limited detail in that size turned me away. It was more money than most 1:18 scale cars.
Still want it though, why isn't there more Volovo models anyhow? Volvo not selling its rights to model companies? I heard Ferrari is exclusive to hot wheels now, hold on to your Ferrari Burago models people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts