SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So low down. 04 R 113K miles. Black/Black/Atacama

They put about $2K into suspension refresh (all 4 new 4C, upper & lower control arms + all bushings, strut mounts & bearing, ect.) They also put a new clutch in. Never owned a manual of these so I'll try and describe this best I can. Lay your foot on the clutch pedal just enough to go past the dead space to where it would start pulling the clutch in and rest it there and I can feel an almost grinding, I don't know if this is just mechanical feedback from all the moving parts or what. I wish I knew how a proper R felt like. Shifter has a little play from dead center, but I suppose thats to be expected on a 8 year old caR.

It has a chassis service req message which they say is from the previous owner who got a 4c replaced and they tried to splice it back in. Apparently one of their mechanics used to be a Volvo tech. All chassis settings work fine, but when you start it no matter what setting you had before, it always starts in sport. Is this normal, I've never owned an R. Could this just be from not calibrating it after the strut install? They said that it was getting a signal from the strut but Vida says it is still the strut. The guy I talked to couldn't tell me if it was low signal/high or what it said.

Either the steering rack or the pump is going out. I can barely hear it whine, but I can feel it more than anything turning at low speeds.

Engine/Turbo is very clean, couldn't tell if the angle gear was leaking or not by trying to look under it but as far as I could tell it wasn't.

Atacama is cracked up but not too bad, I could live with it. Clean car but has a faint smoker smell to it.

Anyway they're asking 13K which I know that year they're only worth 11,500 in PERFECT condition with a little lower miles. So whatcha think? What would you offer?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
So low down. 04 R 113K miles. Black/Black/Atacama

They put about $2K into suspension refresh (all 4 new 4C, upper & lower control arms + all bushings, strut mounts & bearing, ect.) They also put a new clutch in. Never owned a manual of these so I'll try and describe this best I can. Lay your foot on the clutch pedal just enough to go past the dead space to where it would start pulling the clutch in and rest it there and I can feel an almost grinding, I don't know if this is just mechanical feedback from all the moving parts or what. I wish I knew how a proper R felt like

It has a chassis service req message which they say is from the previous owner who got a 4c replaced and they tried to splice it back in. Apparently one of their mechanics used to be a Volvo tech. All chassis settings work fine, but when you start it no matter what setting you had before, it always starts in sport. Is this normal, I've never owned an R. Could this just be from not calibrating it after the strut install? They said that it was getting a signal from the strut but Vida says it is still the strut. The guy I talked to couldn't tell me if it was low signal/high or what it said.

Either the steering rack or the pump is going out. I can barely hear it whine, but I can feel it more than anything turning at low speeds.

Engine/Turbo is very clean, couldn't tell if the angle gear was leaking or not by trying to look under it but as far as I could tell it wasn't.

Atacama is cracked up but not too bad, I could live with it. Clean car but has a faint smoker smell to it.

Anyway they're asking 13K which I know they're only worth 11,500 in PERFECT condition. So whatcha think?
Over priced and sketchy about the codes and splicing. Oh an the clutch noise.. I would pass.

·
Registered
491 Posts
^+1

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the input that's kinda what I thought. I'll prolly offer 9,500 and of they want to fight it I'll just walk out. Just not worth it

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hell offer 9k. I got my 05' with 115k miles for 10k and its in pretty good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'd offer 9k

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd offer 5grand and use it for spare parts?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll take 9500 for mine. It has new front struts and 114k. Newer clutch as well. Only selling to buy a v70r.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
919 Posts
if for some reason you did buy this I've got a spare steering rack I could sell you.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'd pass, but if you get it for a more appropriate price and you like working on cars maybe it would be worth it. Are you certain the AWD is working? That's another big problem area, especially for cars with uncertain histories.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just did an engine swap on mine so it's no biggie to work on them but get this. Went in and told him what it should be worth along with the multiple little problems with the car and he was almost speechless but mostly pissed off I schooled him on his own car. He tried to talk me down on the problems and i responded that I know Volvos like my own child, lol I can say that since I don't have kids and these cars really are my children.

Funny part is some guy was looking at it too and traded in his last gen mustang for this and paid almost the $13k they were asking.

How do car salesmen get away with this? I'm in the wrong career

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have an 06 and it will not re-start in Advanced...it will always bring it back to Sport when you start it up again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
4c button programming

the 4c buttons are programmed to operate as you describe, if you hit comfort, it will stay there. if you hit sport, it will stay there, if you hit advanced, it will go to sport the next time you turn the car back on

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hell offer 9k. I got my 05' with 115k miles for 10k and its in pretty good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell, offer $8K. I got my '04 with 104K miles, angle gear fine, 4C fine, had to do the Timing Belt and Tensioners, excellent condition interior, etc. for $8300.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts