SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That's awesome! Glad you got it back on the road after all these years. I think you're really going to enjoy this car.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Very jealous, we have no do it yourself car washes around here and to be honest any wash that is actually touching your car and not done by a professional is going to hurt your paint a wee bit.

Glad to see you weren't stranded too long! I had a similar conundrum when I washed my engine bay once. Water got into the spark plug wells, and it wasn't hot enough to evaporate for about an hour lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Very jealous, we have no do it yourself car washes around here and to be honest any wash that is actually touching your car and not done by a professional is going to hurt your paint a wee bit.
I've never owned a car that was worthy of a "two bucket" hand wash. However, this is the closest I have gotten to having a good looking paint job. I am excited to bring it to life.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
It might be controversial but I’m not gonna lie... If I were to buy a sedan at this point, I think I’d rather have a Platinum than an R, or even a T-5R. Love that pearl paint! Once it’s clayed, it will be amazing.

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
It might be controversial but I’m not gonna lie... If I were to buy a sedan at this point, I think I’d rather have a Platinum than an R, or even a T-5R. Love that pearl paint! Once it’s clayed, it will be amazing.
Not controversial at all; the Platinum market is going up right with the Rs. The Europeans are on to them and many of them are getting bought up by collectors there. One of the guys I met at Volvodrive Treffen bought a Platinum sedan and a Platinum estate in the past year since I was there. And this guy has everything you didn't know existed (2000 Laser, V70R, a 99 Cassis V70R, 97 M59 Aqua V70R, Laser S80 2.4T (no that was not a typo), Turquoise/Tan 855R, C70 Collection, etc.) When someone with a collection like that is buying Platinums I think you know the market is legit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The cam position sensor came in today. Removed and replaced the old one. Cha-Ching! Car fired right up and I took it on a drive.

The amount of work that will be required to fully detail this car is disgusting. I figure I will tackle it from top to bottom. So the roof, pillars, and windows are first on the chopping block.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Looks good! Needs E codes...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Major Progress

Very productive Sunday afternoon.

I went ahead and ordered a reman ABS module from Midwest to save time. Whenever I get around to it, I still plan on rebuilding my spare one for experience and to have it on the shelf. Easy install with a very rewarding outcome. No ABS or Trac lights!!! Just my service light which I need to figure out how to clear.

I took it for a drive and everything works as it should. No lights came on during the drive and the ABS modulates as expected when I stand on the pedal. So, I drove back and put the car in the driveway to begin the long awaited detail job. As I stated earlier, the roof was first on the chopping block.

Underneath the sunroof visor. Absolutely trashed.

After clay bar and polish.

All back together

The clay bar took a hit after the roof. Oooof. I might need a couple more handy for the rest of the car.

I started losing daylight so I called it quits after the roof. My steps;
-wash
-clay bar
-rinse
-polish with DA Orbital buffer (Meguiar's Ultimate Polish) using chemical guys hex logic pads
-applied Meguiar's synthetic wax.

This sums up my preliminary steps at knocking the grime off and getting the paint cleaner. Q-tips and tooth brushes will come this winter.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Hope you enjoy what is to come.

-

·
Registered
707 Posts
Very productive Sunday afternoon.

Just my service light which I need to figure out how to clear.

2 options.

1. If you're an Android user, the "850 OBDII" app will allow you to reset the Service light. (As well as read DTCs from more than just the ECU). I've used it with success several times.

2. Just remove the bulb. ;) (Seriously, if you're someone who does your own maintenance and logs it, all the light is is a nuisance.)

EDIT- If you want to keep the light, I'm pretty sure the OBDII app allows you to make changes to the interval that the light comes on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love the fact that you went looking for one thing and came home with something else entirely unexpected. Great read and great work! She's cleaning up nice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice work on the roof. That looks like the visor had never been taken off since the day it was installed. You may need to invest in some other type of clay substitute product. There's sponges, pads for your DA polisher, mitts or two-sided towels for when you're washing your car. You might want to used those for the broad strokes, getting the years of gunk off the surfaces, then use the clay bar for the smaller areas you're focusing on.

Also, I would strongly suggest buying some Iron X. I bet there's tons of embedded ferrous particles in your paint and because it's white it'll show easily as it's being dissolved.

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
Roof looks good. I would ditch that sunroof wind deflector. There is one built into the car. Not necessary at all and looks way better without it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Roof looks good. I would ditch that sunroof wind deflector. There is one built into the car. Not necessary at all and looks way better without it.
I would like to remove it however, the paint has been damaged from it being on for so long and never being cleaned. So for now it stays.

Progress on bumper restoration. Verdict: The product called "Solution finish" works. It's not a miracle, but it sure as heck beats the gray zebra bumpers.

I still have so much to do, but every little victory counts.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Looking good! Glad the Solution Finish is working out. Considering that your trim was almost white, it came out looking pretty great.

+1 for leaving the wind deflector off. I'd rather look at the scuffed roof than that thing, but it's your car of course.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Another day, another dollar.

Today I drove to a local shop (never been here before) that has the ability to read and reset SRS codes (Some previous owner disconnected the driver's seat belt without disconnecting the battery). Good news! They cleared the code and everything checked out. I paid $50 for the service and then spent a few mins talking with the shop manager. Cool shop. Now a viable option to save $50 would be to pull the SRS bulb, but that is not my style. Everything should operate as intended and so it shall.

NO LIGHTS ON DASH!!!

After work I found a little more energy to tackle another stage of detailing. I began to work on the driver's side (since I have to look at it more haha). Here is a little preview.

Before

After

This paint is really gorgeous when its cleaned up.

Now, I need suggestions. What should I do about this trim? Sand and polish? Plastidip? Replace? (Still available?)

Tomorrow I'll attempt to finish the passengers side and then detail the trim. Remember, I am doing a basic (rushed) clay, polish, wax just to get the car cleaned up and protect the paint to buy some time while I work on the out of sight areas.

Final suspension components should be here Friday so I am excited to finally get it handling properly.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have an Autel EU702 for my SRS and ABS stuff, but I used the OBDII app for the SRI light and other scans. It's like $3.00, maybe.

On the trim, I got lucky and found a good set for my 854 in the yard, but I think we're just going to PlastiDip the ones on the wife's 855. They had already been stripped/painted/sanded by the time we got the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Following. Such a good find! And I really like the way titans look on a platinum.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Great job! Keep taking little bites on the detailing and you'll have a gem. As far as the trim goes the previous owner had removed all the flaking bits and the aluminum is exposed - which looks good too. I just polish it up and it looks good. Others have masked off the car and painted them with trim paint or plastidip. Other's have replaced them altogether with the S70 trim which does a better job of channeling the water away from the sides.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts