SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
DO88 Intercooler first impressions

Today my intercooler showed up. First impressions;

1. Heavy (This thing feels like its at least 35-40 lbs)
2. It has been spray painted
3. Finish product looks rushed

After further inspection, I noticed how the cast tanks had the excess cast flashing removed with a flap disc of some sort. Awesome, however it looks as though someone got a little too aggressive with the grinder and it shows.

Considering this thing is so tucked up under the core support, I could care less what it looks like as long as it performs as advertised.

I did manage to get one thing accomplished on the car this evening. When I first started to disassemble the engine, the cam sensor connector decided to crumble apart when I looked at it. So, I repaired it the best way I could.

That's all for now. Timing belt and water pump this weekend. Maybe I will even get it buttoned up and fire it up!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Suspension parts are showing up

When I was driving the 850 to my garage (before its current state of being torn apart) I made note of the suspension that was in need of replacement. Lots of clunking from the rear and and the front strut hats were completely dry rotted, allowing the strut rods to move freely in any direction.

So I made use of a few tools online and assets at work. I managed to source a set of Bilstein front struts and rear shocks.....Total cost? Under $400 for all four!

Also, I got my new radiator and applicable gaskets and clips to attach it back to engine and trans.

I told myself I wouldn't spend money where it didn't need to be spent until the car was 100% stage 0, but I had an opportunity to pick up an "R" exhaust manifold and I grabbed it. This is piece number one towards a little more power.

After examining the casting and taking a closer look at the machining, I grabbed a magnet and low and behold it's cast stainless!
On the shelf it goes, to collect dust until I find time to install it...like everything else I have.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congrats on finding those parts at a good price. I have the Bilsteins as well. They are stiff. They might be better if you have stock springs, but with lowering springs they are unforgiving. Definitely keep your 17" wheel/tire package and don't go any bigger. It may look nice, but the ride will become unbearable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Congrats on finding those parts at a good price. I have the Bilsteins as well. They are stiff. They might be better if you have stock springs, but with lowering springs they are unforgiving. Definitely keep your 17" wheel/tire package and don't go any bigger. It may look nice, but the ride will become unbearable.
Are you running progressive springs? The shocks are going to the dyno next week and I'll see what they are in factory trim. With a set of progressive springs they shouldn't be too bad at all. What is your complete suspension setup?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yesterday was the first day I've been able to get any progress on the 850, and so much progress was made!

First let me show you my $100 score. A couple weeks ago I met with a guy that was parting out his wrecked 850R. I left with the front and rear seats, door cards (with alcantara inserts), stainless door jamb placards, and a plethora of switches and various small plastics. Seats went into the house for a good cleaning and were coated with leather treatment. They are in way better condition than the seats I have and I cant wait to convert to a black interior.

Yesterday was the first day I've felt able to work in the garage (neck problems are a mood killer). Accomplished items are as follows;
-new water pump
-new idler
-new tensioner
-new timing belt
-new vacuum lines
-new TCV
-new air filter
-new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs

On the topic of the water pump. In the past 15 years of working on cars I've done just about everything from oil changes to doing engine swaps. Removing the water-pump gasket on this motor made me swear the most. The mirror is absolutely a must. It was stuck to that block with some kind of voodoo because it took a solid 2 hours of frustration to get it properly prepared for a new pump and gasket.

I persevered and pushed through. The final result.

Buttoned everything back up and tossed the battery in. Fired right up....duh! A little chatter from the valve train (been sitting for awhile) and it went away after idling for a few seconds. While the car was warming up, I started pushing buttons to see what worked and what needed fixing. 100* outside so testing A/C was first. Bummer, no cold air but the compressor kept clicking on and off.

So I hooked my gauges up and what do you know, it was low on refrigerant. Pumped it up and voila! Cold air blowing! (Yes I know my hands are disgusting, the timing belt really got the best of me)

<video id="video_1_html5_api" poster="//live.staticflickr.com/31337/48329286081_09af6fa69f_o.jpg" class="vjs-tech no-outline" tabindex="-1" src="https://live.staticflickr.com/video/48329286081/6d0bcb02cc/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo0ODMyOTI4NjA4MSwiZSI6MTU2MzYyODYzMywicyI6ImYwNTA2NGZhZmVjOGUxMTg3MDkxNzBkMjZkOWVkNjAwZmEwZWY4ZDgiLCJ2IjoxfQ"></video>

Next step is to diagnose the "ABS" & "Trac" light. Probably the control module that everyone says is a common issue. I guess I'll crack it open and take a look at the solder joints and re-flow the cracked and broken joints.

Car is getting a tag on Monday and then the real begins with all the new gremlins that will reveal themselves while driving around town!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Good score on the interior! I grabbed my "R" stuff out of a JY. Got a decent price, but not that good.

Those waterpump gaskets can be a pain. Just not enough working room to get to it while the engine is in the car.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
I'd just go ahead and order a rebuilt ABS module from Midwest ABS. Taking the module apart is a nightmare. First time I had to do one I was fresh out of college and unemployed.....and, even then, I determined it wasn't worth my time. You'll probably screw up the casing getting it apart, and then Midwest won't even take it as a core.

Awesome score on the R interior. How badly crashed was the car? The WHIPS system is integrated into the seats and, if it was crashed bad enough for that feature to come into play, you should swap the seat skins and cushions onto your seat frames. My understanding is it takes less crash than you'd think to trigger that system. Fortunately there is nothing special about the frames so you'll have all the R goodness if you swap the cushions and skins.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Awesome score on the R interior. How badly crashed was the car? The WHIPS system is integrated into the seats and, if it was crashed bad enough for that feature to come into play, you should swap the seat skins and cushions onto your seat frames. My understanding is it takes less crash than you'd think to trigger that system. Fortunately there is nothing special about the frames so you'll have all the R goodness if you swap the cushions and skins.
Last time I checked, the Volvo 850 never came with WHIPS.

Challenge accepted on taking apart the module case. I've got an extra one to experiment with. If I can get it done in under 2 hours, I'd say its worth my time.

·
Registered
707 Posts

Challenge accepted on taking apart the module case. I've got an extra one to experiment with. If I can get it done in under 2 hours, I'd say its worth my time.
I think he's referring to the "SIPS".

I've reworked a couple modules. One has been flawless for the past 3 years. Just be careful sawing through the case and don't go too deep.

I need to replace the one in my T5, but I need to wrestle the stripped bolt out first.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts

ah yes. WHIPS came out in 99. Last time I had any interactions with crashed seats they were from a 99 so that must have been what I was thinking of. Carry on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The weather was bearable yesterday so I pulled the car out to assess the detail work I have in my future. Needless to say, I couldn't contain myself and started to work on the trunk area. The drains were filled completely with all sorts of junk. A quick blast with the steam cleaner and a bore brush cleared them right up. The rear gasket was in great shape and I wiped it down with some Shin-etsu grease, courtesy of Honda. Here are the progress pictures, Enjoy.

Hopefully the rest of the car cleans up this nicely.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Those cleaning shots have made my OCD very happy. Good job so far!

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Nice. If that gross strip of protective film is bothering you, peel it off and replace with clear bra material. Or they might still be available new. But clear bra material will do the same thing and be cheaper lol. Just make sure you replace it if you do take it off; it's there for a reason!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice. If that gross strip of protective film is bothering you, peel it off and replace with clear bra material. Or they might still be available new. But clear bra material will do the same thing and be cheaper lol. Just make sure you replace it if you do take it off; it's there for a reason!
It didn't bother me until you said something...dang it. I'll peel it off when I go to clay bar and compound the car. On the topic of cosmetics, what does everyone use for faded bumpers? I'm not particularly interested in painting them.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
It didn't bother me until you said something...dang it. I'll peel it off when I go to clay bar and compound the car. On the topic of cosmetics, what does everyone use for faded bumpers? I'm not particularly interested in painting them.
lol sorry. well just make sure you put something back on there so the wing doesn't wear on the paint.

are you talking about the bumper trim or the paint itself?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
This is a great thread about a great find and someone who obviously appreciates a car like this. Doing a great job so far!

As far as the trim goes... check out “solution finish.” You will only need their tiny bottle to do the whole car and you’ll still have plenty leftover. This stuff gives you as close to a factory fresh look as possible and it lasts years. I had it on my s60 for about 3 years and just recently did another paint correction on it and decided to remove and reapply the S.F. It still looked good after three years, I just knew I would hit the trim with the DA buffer so I removed it before I started. Then I reapplied with the same tiny bottle I bought years ago. Still have a lot left.

Good luck!

·
Registered
707 Posts
On the topic of cosmetics, what does everyone use for faded bumpers? I'm not particularly interested in painting them.
We used "Wipe New" on the wife's GLT

They were pretty faded, and you can still see a hint of it, but it still looks the same after about a year.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This is a great thread about a great find and someone who obviously appreciates a car like this. Doing a great job so far!
Thank you! I love doing this. I just can't wait to get a tag on Monday and drive the thing on something other than my driveway.

I'll order some Solution Finish. Those pictures look great. Thank you for the suggestion. The detail job on this car is going to be a week long process for sure. Trying to get all the nooks and crannies clear of organic gunk and not to mention the polish and wax job. Thankfully this car is a "brick", so it will be less painful with my dual orbital.

Tags tomorrow!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Shakedown time!

Ohhhhh man.

Car running...Check!
No leaks.......Check!
Insurance......Check!
Registration....Check!

All status lights green and I pulled onto the main roads for the first time. It has been six years since this car has been registered! I drove for 50 miles or so up and down the interstate. Took it up to speed limits and stood on the brakes a little bit. Initial checks were great. No smoke. The car pulls hard and stops quick. Steering is minutely shaky (probably a wheel balance or alignment issue). The shocks are beyond blown so its a good thing I have a set on standby. This car is fun and comfortable.

I decided to take it to the local car wash to rinse off my grimy hand prints from the fenders after all my work. I'll chalk this up at the first preliminary wash before the clay bar. I know ill wash it again too. Pulled in, shut the car down and started scrubbing. Don't worry guys...I brought my own wash mit.

All finished up and hopped back in the driver's seat. *Turns key*......(engine turns over.....no start). *Turns key again* This time with a nervous twitch......(engine turns over.....no start).

After a sigh of defeat, I popped the hood and pulled the wire from the coil leading to the distributor to see if I had spark. Survey says...no spark. Earlier, I repaired the cam position sensor connector because it was falling apart. Well, I guess the wires inside weren't worth the effort because they must have been broken inside the casing. I jiggled them around and attempted to fire again. I got spark but the car died. Cool, I found the problem but how do I fix it enough to get home?

*phone rings* My fiance is leaving work. Asks me how I am doing. Long story short, she stops by the house and packs a bag of tools for me and headed my way. She waited for me to either fix it or wait for a tow. A few wires cut here, some electrical tape there and I was back on the road! I already ordered a new Cam and Crank sensor to prevent any future car wash repairs.

So all in all, I would say it was a good first trip. Hahaha.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts