SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nobody would read this if I typed my life story so I'll cut the fat off and get straight to the point.

Cars I've owned: 3x 242 Turbos, 1x 244dl, 1x 945 Turbo, and now my first FWD: 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Platinum.

Cliff notes on purchase: Went out of state to purchase another BMW (I also own an E30). Deal fell through when I arrived because the seller failed to represent the car accurately (showed old pictures online from before he hit a deer). Drove back with a truck and trailer and I see this sitting on the side of the road.

Stopped to talk with the owner and after a little negotiating, it was loaded up. The seller told me it was an "R" but the badge placement was off and the interior was not "R" spec. Little did I know, I bought something a little more rare. After some research and a call to my Volvo dealer, I found out that I got a hold of a Platinum 850 Turbo. The car has been sitting for over a year. So I am starting this thread to document my trials of getting it back up to spec and enjoying it on the road...Oh and it only has 65,000 miles on it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clean up and fuel tank cleaning.

Hosed the car off and removed all (Hopefully) of its inhabitants today.

Dropped the tank and rinsed it out with fresh gas and washed the outside.

Also got a hold of a Walboro 255 and put that in with a new strainer and filter. Flushed the fuel lines and loaded up the tank with fresh 93.

Next on the list;
Refurbish all hoses in the engine bay.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase! You also have Titan wheels on it. They originally only came on the T-5R, but look great on the Platinum.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Looks pretty clean.

Nice score!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulling Intake Manifold for inspection and cleaning.

This morning I woke up early and got to work. Pulled the intake manifold off and inspected everything. I took a lot of notes and made a list of items (gaskets, hoses, and sensors) that I would need.

The block was a little dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. I gave it a spray with some dish soap and let it sit while I inspected the intake valves.

CYL 1

CYL 2

CYL 3

CYL 4

CYL 5

The pictures might be a little fuzzy but I am happy with what I saw. The intake tract and tops of the valves looked clean. I scrubbed and rinsed off the block. Cleaned the quick disconnects on the knock sensors and wire brushed the ground contact points. I then installed a new PCV box and its affiliated hoses. Packed up the fuel rail and intake manifold and headed to my work.

Disassembled the fuel rail. O-rings and seals weren't in the worse shape but the fuel hoses were past their time. Boxed up the injectors to ship off tomorrow to our injector cleaner for cleaning and flow testing. They were single pintle injectors and I was a bit surprised by this. I might look into a newer design III injector.

I also took the time to degrease, clean, and seal the intake manifold. I'm happy with how it came out and the sealant should help make it easier to clean in the future when installed. Now to order gaskets and maybe get the front buttoned up next weekend.

Next: Thermostat, water pump, and timing belt.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
Wow, awesome find and impressive progress. Hopefully you are using genuine Volvo seals and PCV parts?

Where was this car located when you found it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, awesome find and impressive progress. Hopefully you are using genuine Volvo seals and PCV parts?

Where was this car located when you found it?
Thanks! I am using Volvo gaskets and seals. However, the PCV kit is IPD assembled. I could not find any reason online not to use it.

The car was located in North Alabama. Carfax states it was a Florida/Alabama car its whole life. Sadly the seat leather has been abused by the Florida sun.

·
Registered
16,142 Posts
Nice find! Already digging in hard I see. What’s the aim/goal with this lovely platinum?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice find! Already digging in hard I see. What’s the aim/goal with this lovely platinum?
The main objective is to get the car back on the road. However, I plan to improve what I can within my budget. Just an OEM+ rebuild. I know very little about these motors so I spend a couple hours every night reading.

Ideally, if I could manage to squeeze 250-275 out of this engine with minor fuss I would be more than content.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
The main objective is to get the car back on the road. However, I plan to improve what I can within my budget. Just an OEM+ rebuild. I know very little about these motors so I spend a couple hours every night reading.

Ideally, if I could manage to squeeze 250-275 out of this engine with minor fuss I would be more than content.
If you're looking for those numbers at the crank, that's totally doable. Intake, exhaust, 16T/18T, injectors, tune and DEFINITELY a intercooler especially since you're down south (don't get a front mount; they're tiny compared to the drop ins)

OEM+ is an awesome strategy on these cars. My 850R is being built almost exclusively with parts from the Volvo parts catalog and I'll probably be making 330-340 bhp and getting 35+ mpg on the when it's done. I could count on my hands the number of relevant parts being used in that project that aren't Volvo or OE equivalents.

If the IPD PCV kit was made out of Volvo parts you're fine. If not, probably wanna replace that now because every aftermarket PCV that anyone I know has ever seen the endgame of has ended in a disaster of premature failure. Easier to put the Volvo parts in there now while you have everything apart and it hasn't started disintegrating yet. And PCV is cheap for N blocks too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're looking for those numbers at the crank, that's totally doable. Intake, exhaust, 16T/18T, injectors, tune and DEFINITELY a intercooler especially since you're down south (don't get a front mount; they're tiny compared to the drop ins)

OEM+ is an awesome strategy on these cars. My 850R is being built almost exclusively with parts from the Volvo parts catalog and I'll probably be making 330-340 bhp and getting 35+ mpg on the when it's done. I could count on my hands the number of relevant parts being used in that project that aren't Volvo or OE equivalents.

If the IPD PCV kit was made out of Volvo parts you're fine. If not, probably wanna replace that now because every aftermarket PCV that anyone I know has ever seen the endgame of has ended in a disaster of premature failure. Easier to put the Volvo parts in there now while you have everything apart and it hasn't started disintegrating yet. And PCV is cheap for N blocks too.
Honestly I didn't think it would be much hassle to pull that to the wheels. My S50 in my E30 puts out 222whp and that is N/A.

Stage 0 is the first step, then suspension/brakes/tires. What are the build specs on your 850R?

I'm almost 100% sure that none of the components in the PCV kit were OEM Volvo. I have never been wronged by IPD products so I trust what they offer. However, if a catastrophic failure occurs I will be sure to document it for others to learn. I can't justify taking a brand new part off, throwing it away, and eating the cost. I do appreciate your suggestion though. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
Honestly I didn't think it would be much hassle to pull that to the wheels. My S50 in my E30 puts out 222whp and that is N/A.

Stage 0 is the first step, then suspension/brakes/tires. What are the build specs on your 850R?

I'm almost 100% sure that none of the components in the PCV kit were OEM Volvo. I have never been wronged by IPD products so I trust what they offer. However, if a catastrophic failure occurs I will be sure to document it for others to learn. I can't justify taking a brand new part off, throwing it away, and eating the cost. I do appreciate your suggestion though. I guess time will tell.
The short answer on my 850R.....B5234T9 short block with a B5254T4 head that's been CNC ported through Rolling Motors. The T9 short block has the best rotating assembly and the B5254T4 head has dual VVT and flows the best of the whiteblock heads even before porting. Going to use a 18T to start. 19T is an option if I don't get where I want but I think I'll probably be happy with the 18T.....trying to build a reliable GT car not a racecar. I'll also have a Snabb intake, Do88 intercooler, some sort of angle flange DP hooked up to a Simons catback. Probably will flip the IC piping around to the pre-recall layout too.

The woes of aftermarket PCV parts are pretty well documented already. I have a friend who just went through replacing aftermarket PCV on his 99 T5M........was...ugly. Hoses were literally crumbling in their hands as they were working on it. And it was only a few years old too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The woes of aftermarket PCV parts are pretty well documented already. I have a friend who just went through replacing aftermarket PCV on his 99 T5M........was...ugly. Hoses were literally crumbling in their hands as they were working on it. And it was only a few years old too.
If it has been documented, I couldn't find it via the search function. I only found 2 threads discussing FCP vs IPD kits. One thread even states that the IPD was a great option. If you could, attach a link to were it is documented.

Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monday update!

I contacted IPD today to discuss the questionable quality of their PCV kits. Short answer: They were aware of a past issue, took the kit off the page, and now they sell an updated kit with no reported issues.

Now, on to the good stuff!

Found out the ECU that's installed is either from a T5-R or 850R. From what I've read online, this was the only major drive train difference between the turbo and the "R" & "T5-R". This leads me to believe that my car must have been owned by an enthusiast of some level. I wonder what else has been swapped.

I know it isn't a necessity but every time i get in the car, I have to stare at this abomination...

So off it came and a nice Junk yard find went in!

I have zero room in my garage now so all my parts are getting stored away in the trunk.

Hopefully I will have the parts I need to actually make some headway on getting the engine up to spec soon. Still waiting on the timing kit and a few extra things from IPD.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
I'll be interested to see how this "revised" IPD PCV setup holds up.

Curious, what's drawing you to buy parts from IPD rather than FCP or the dealer? All the IPD stuff has been tried in the Volvo circles in hang in and, in general, it hasn't produced good results.

Great to see so many genuine Volvo parts in that trunk though. Hopefully the handful of IPD parts don't let you down prematurely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be interested to see how this "revised" IPD PCV setup holds up.

Curious, what's drawing you to buy parts from IPD rather than FCP or the dealer? All the IPD stuff has been tried in the Volvo circles in hang in and, in general, it hasn't produced good results.

Great to see so many genuine Volvo parts in that trunk though. Hopefully the handful of IPD parts don't let you down prematurely.
I have always used FCP when purchasing parts for my Bimmer and I've ordered stuff for my volvos through them too.

To be honest, my interactions with IPD have been genuine and I like to support that. If I ever have a question and call them, a human that knows Volvos is on the other end. Order messed up, they fix it promptly. I call to discuss a questionable part, they are transparent about what the problem was and how they fixed it. I will always support a company that falls into these lines. The dealership is the last resort when it comes to parts searching...and I've been at BMW more times that I'd like to admit.

I've read through you 850R build thread and I am impressed. I really enjoy reading threads that are documented and informative.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
I have always used FCP when purchasing parts for my Bimmer and I've ordered stuff for my volvos through them too.

To be honest, my interactions with IPD have been genuine and I like to support that. If I ever have a question and call them, a human that knows Volvos is on the other end. Order messed up, they fix it promptly. I call to discuss a questionable part, they are transparent about what the problem was and how they fixed it. I will always support a company that falls into these lines. The dealership is the last resort when it comes to parts searching...and I've been at BMW more times that I'd like to admit.

I've read through you 850R build thread and I am impressed. I really enjoy reading threads that are documented and informative.
Just to be clear I respect IPD as a company and they make some great stuff for some cars....just not into their P80 offerings, and their pricing and shipping doesn't really work for me either. That said, I do buy things from them occasionally when they have good deals on stuff I want and have had great experiences getting issues resolved on the problem or two I've had with parts that came from them. Maybe the shipping is ok if you're on the west coast or FCP isn't 150 miles away. If you're not having a good time getting parts at the dealer, you're probably at the wrong one.

Thanks, my 850R has been a long process with many, many revisions in the plan along the way as I've learned more about these cars over the past 6 years since the idea for that project was born. It's a very conservative build considering what is going into it (that engine would support making 500+bhp if I wanted it to), but the idea was to build it the way Volvo would have 10 years later in an effort to build the ultimate P80 GT car that I'll be able to drive 100k before I need to do any major work to it. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If your goal is 250-275 to the crank and measured on a realistic dyno, you dont actually need all those kind of mods, just a stage-0 and a descent mapping should get you there on a stock 15G turbo

16T might bring you close to 300, 18T will get you over, but the latter would not be advised on a B5234T4 or B5234T5 engine with stock rods and an automatic gearbox.

Exhaust, Intake and bigger injectors arent needed, but the intercooler would be a plus to prevent heatsoak in a hot climate indeed.

Keep that money in your pocket till you have decided that your power goals have changed ;-)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exhaust, Intake and bigger injectors arent needed, but the intercooler would be a plus to prevent heatsoak in a hot climate indeed.
The DO88 is more prone to heat soak and keeping the heat due to its bar and plate construction. It is still an upgrade over stock in terms of performance but I'm not buying one to "prevent heat soak". I wish I could find a tube and fin performance option.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts