SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005, 2.5 AWD 64,000 miles on the odometer, drives like new, I LOVE IT.

We just got done putting 135,000 on a 2004 XC90 which we loved. We just traded that car for a 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD with low milage for my wife, but now I get this rocket ship for myself.

Our 850 5-cylinder turbo gave us great service, I like the motors a lot, but that 3.2 is darn sweet too.

The 2.5 in this car has a lot more response and speed than the same drivetrain in the heavier XC90. I won't badmouth the 90 at all, because it was one heck of a safe and fun car, but this one will run circles around it.

In any case, for me I'm happy and guys........I have to tell you.........my 1983 Porsche 928 5-speed has been sitting in the driveway watching me leave each morning in the XC, rather than drive it. :cool:

regards,

P

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
That would be 2005 XC70

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be 2005 XC70
Correct you are.

Now I get the XC70 shown in the pic and the wife gets the 90. :)
She is happy and so am I.
After driving a XC90 with essentially the same 2.5 turbo and drivetrain as this 2005 XC70 in the photo, the difference in performance due to gearing and weight is pretty amazing. The 70 is a rocket .

These things are great drivers!

regards,

P

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Nice car! Same year and color as mine!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Congratulations, it's a great car. Glad you stayed with Volvo.

Any plans for it?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Congrats! Good car! Welcome to the XC70 club.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Correct you are.

Now I get the XC70 shown in the pic and the wife gets the 90. :)
She is happy and so am I.
After driving a XC90 with essentially the same 2.5 turbo and drivetrain as this 2005 XC70 in the photo, the difference in performance due to gearing and weight is pretty amazing. The 70 is a rocket .
Well done and congrats, sir!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Well done and congrats, sir!
Grecian,

Noticed you have Polestar+ software for your '01 Volvo T5. Can you get Polestar tune for the P2 series?

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Grecian,

Noticed you have Polestar+ software for your '01 Volvo T5. Can you get Polestar tune for the P2 series?
No he doesn't, read again and more closely

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the kind hearted welcome guys. I love the car, tremendous utility, awesome AWD capability and safety, and the 2.5 has plenty of power in this size car. Now if I just had a Viking hat with horns I would be all set!

:)

regards,

P

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Grecian,

For a reliable tested tune, look to the forum advertisers: IPD, VIVA or Elevate. They each use a different tuning company, but all 3 have been used on P2 cars for 50K+ miles and still going strong. Cheaper than a Polestar tune, too, but no warranty tho

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally I am skepical about using a chip. The standard chips are designed for the crap fuel they are selling today. For whatver "seat of the pants" improvement they may (may) offer I still have a very big problem with the price, last time I checked the price was ridiculous from IPD, you had to send in your unit, yadda yadda, $800. In addition, one of my friends took his V12 chipped Mercedes out for a test run and the car actually ran slower with the chip, we had a laugh about that one, seems Mercedes did a better job than whoever designed the aftermarket chip.

I would consider a downpipe and larger bore exhaust, and think that is worth more in the name of everyday reliable power regardless of the quality of gas, than a chip would be. In any case guys, the 70 series is a fabulous design whether it is FWD or AWD. This one I just got has the same basic drivetrain as the 2.5 XC90 AWD we traded recently with 135,000 miles and it has far far better handling and power response due to the lower center of gravity, less weight and better balance using the same motor and drivetrain. Where I live we need AWD just to get up the driveway in the wet, but the FWD 70 series is still an arrow and a great driver, my parents have one and that particular series is one of the cleanest looking designs Volvo ever produced. Bauhaus all the way. The later series is starting to depart from the clean and uncluttered purity. The AWD versions have a bit more stuff tacked on for styling visual identity, but they are still very very clean looking cars.

regards,

P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts