SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm new to the Volvo Fam and I wanted to use my first post as an intro to myself and my newly purchased S60. I've made the switch from Bimmers to Volvos to tackle the Canadian winters. I will be using the vast knowledge of this forum to gain confidence in DIYs (mostly with the search button :rolleyes:)

Now to the ride. 2002 S60 AWD, Graphite Gray Metallic, just shy of 100XXX km's. It's completely stock but hopefully that won't last for long. First thing will be getting the ride ready for winter and then suspension in the spring!

It's nice to read up on the builds like NJGreenBud's and DevolvR's. They're thorough and informational. Hopefully I can use all your expertise to create an awesome Volvo for myself.

:pic: Disclaimer :pic: Pics taken on the first day of dry weather so I couldn't clean her, it started to rain during the "photo shoot"

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Looks like a nice car to start with, low mileage and in stock form, nice interior. I'm a bit partial to the '02 vintage myself, mine is still going strong at just about 200,000 miles.

At that mileage you will want to make sure of your service history, flush the ATF with Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type 4, change the angle gear oil, even though it's early in mileage you might want to do the timing belt if it's dry and cracked looking.

Great choice though, you'll love the AWD in the winter.

Feel free to ask questions, PM, I'm glad to be of help.

Good luck and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Tstats Thanks! I like how the graphite gets really dark at night and lighter during the day :D

@NJGB Going to be changing the ATF this weekend :) I did extensive research before I purchased her last weekend. That's partly why the car was a steal, the PO didn't know what to do with the tranny.
Is the angle gear oil hard to DIY? I don't have the shop space or tools like yourself. Any write ups you can point me to?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Great, ATF changes are crucial, as you must know by now, consider installing an aux trans cooler if you plan to mod the car and keep it for a while, very easy but effective way to extend trans life.

Angle gear fluid change is easy, there is a bolt on the passenger's side of the unit that can be removed, it's a fill/drain plug. Open it up and use a mighty vac or similar fluid suction device to suck out the old fluid. Then use a fluid pump or just stick a hose on the end of the bottle of new gear oil and squeeze it into the hole until it starts to overflow.

Might as well at least check the fluid in the rear AOC and differential gear box too, those two halves of the rear end take seperate fluid types so be sure to get the right ones, same process though, drain via suction, fill via pump or squeeze. On the '02 model we are equipped with a removable AOC oil filter, the only year to have one so make use of it and change it around the same time you do the fluids.

Hope that helps, most of this is in my build thread, let me know if you need specifics.

:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts