SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the few cosmetic details that drove me crazy about interior was the missing silver trim piece that should be around the edges of center vent and screen.
S60 Inscription has it! Could you please suggest a website that might have that part for purchase in order to be retrofitted to older S60s? Also, I have been looking for "button rings" that are rubber and black on my 2014 S60 but are silver metal(ic) on the 2016 models. I've looked for them at couple of websites that are mentioned in other threads but none of them had them available for sale. Thank you for your comments and help in advance!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've noticed the missing bezel, but it never really bothered me.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've noticed the missing bezel, but it never really bothered me.
Missing bezel never bothered me that much but I do notice it. I wonder if it can be retrofitted.
I do, however, like the silver button rings a lot and wonder if those are available and can be fitted to the older models.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Missing center bezel has always been one of those little design quirks though I also don't really notice it.

The replacement button rings used to be available on ebay from an aftermarket supplier though I did not see them when I just searched.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let me know if you do find it!

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I first heard about this in the article Stablatic mentioned. I actually think it looks better without the trim. To me the silver trim is well balanced between the two outside vents and the center console. It just looks too busy now.

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Looks nice, I also noticed that they added some chrome to the door switches that doesn't look to bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The aftermarket bezel looks too thick for my taste and the shade of silver seems different. Thank you for posting the links! Hope there will be original parts available for us who would like to retrofit them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The lack of center bezel ring in S60s was the one big thing that was pointed out in the S4 vs. S60RD shoot out. Why on the two outer vents but not the center.
I don't think it was an omission. I believe it was a Swedish design aspect. They wanted balance across the dash. As you can see in the pic with it, there is no longer symmetry. They only had silver around the center vent lower down because it was dead center, again keeping the symmetry.

I guess the mistake Swedes made was not realizing American's can't handle this design symmetry and complain of an omission. Y'all probably would not like IKEA furniture.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I first heard about this in the article Stablatic mentioned. I actually think it looks better without the trim. To me the silver trim is well balanced between the two outside vents and the center console. It just looks too busy now.
Thankfully somebody gets it. Cheers brother.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It just perplexes me about the complaining of this "missing" vent ring.......how can it not be easily understood why it was missing....symmetry.

The vent is not in the center of the dash....the display/vent is offset because...well, it has to be. You can't just put a bezel around the vent and not the screen, and when you run it around both it hi lights the fact that it is not centered. It simply hi lights how the vent does not match symmetrically with the others. Hence why designers intentionally left it without, to not draw unwanted attention to the imbalance this layout lends itself to.

Now it just looks terrible. I wouldn't think "car guys" would totally understand why it was omitted, not questions the "laziness of the designers" and go on and on about how it's missing a bezel..... it's clear why it was left off. Design of symmetry. I guess the just gave up and added it due to the ridiculous publicity of this "design flaw". I'll enjoy my 2013 without the bling that now shouts "hey look, my vent is not centered". :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Honestly, I never noticed anything was "missing" until this tread. What would be nice is strip of trim that matches the center console, in my case urban wood, across the dashboard just above the glove box.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It just perplexes me about the complaining of this "missing" vent ring.......how can it not be easily understood why it was missing....symmetry.

The vent is not in the center of the dash....the display/vent is offset because...well, it has to be. You can't just put a bezel around the vent and not the screen, and when you run it around both it hi lights the fact that it is not centered. It simply hi lights how the vent does not match symmetrically with the others. Hence why designers intentionally left it without, to not draw unwanted attention to the imbalance this layout lends itself to.

Now it just looks terrible. I wouldn't think "car guys" would totally understand why it was omitted, not questions the "laziness of the designers" and go on and on about how it's missing a bezel..... it's clear why it was left off. Design of symmetry. I guess the just gave up and added it due to the ridiculous publicity of this "design flaw". I'll enjoy my 2013 without the bling that now shouts "hey look, my vent is not centered". :facepalm:
Welcome back! I for one missed you.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
It really just highlights the fact that the design of the dash was unbalanced from the outset, unlike the XC60 we just picked up that doesn't have that vent to the right of the center stack. It is integrated much better, IMHO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Priced that bezel over the weekend. I don't have the PN but I believe the part was like 85 bucks from the dealer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts