SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi swedespeed members,

I found a unicorn-2010 v50 t5 R design 6 speed manual! It only has 55k miles and I'd like to develop a plan for preventative maintenance before thinking of performance mods. Here's what I have in mind:

-manual transmission fluid
-angle gear fluid
-rear diff fluid
-AOC fluid
-brake fluid (including clutch slave cylinder)
-coolant flush
-replace radiator hoses with silicone hoses (upper radiator hose is a concern)
-engine air filter and pollen filter (pollen filter recommended during ppi)
-spark plugs/coils?
-pcv breather system kit?

The oil was just changed with pennzoil platinum 5w-30 so I'll change it in 5k miles

As for performance mods, I'd like to do a stage 2 meaning intake, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler but that will be next year I'd like to first get the car fully addressed with maintenance items. Is the timing belt really recommended to be changed every 10 years/100k miles? What is the interval for the serpentine belt and spark plug/coils?

Please let me know your thoughts/feedback. Really looking forward to participating more here as I enjoy the v50! I drove it for 100+ miles and it's a perfect daily driver for me. The interior is in great condition except for the waterfall console trim. Does anyone happen to know the part number for it?

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
-manual transmission fluid
-angle gear fluid
-rear diff fluid
-AOC fluid
-brake fluid (including clutch slave cylinder)
-coolant flush
-replace radiator hoses with silicone hoses (upper radiator hose is a concern)
-engine air filter and pollen filter (pollen filter recommended during ppi)
-spark plugs/coils?
-pcv breather system kit?
Spark plugs definitely, but no point in replacing coil packs until they've gone bad. They only take 30 seconds to swap out anyway.

Same with the PCV. The 2010 already has the most updated PCV. Not saying it won't still fail prematurely, but I wouldn't bother replacing it until it's bad. It could last another 100k miles.

TCV and FPS are two more items that are common to wear out after 100k miles. But these are also items I wouldn't be too concerned with until they go out. Your main list of fluids and filters are the only items I would be really concern with, along with checking the condition of the coolant reservoir.

Is the timing belt really recommended to be changed every 10 years/100k miles? What is the interval for the serpentine belt and spark plug/coils?
Absolutely, do not put the timing belt service off. For 2010, it was due every 120k miles, but I strongly encourage replacing it every 100k miles, as it's foolish to push the full life of such a crucial belt.
Belts stretch and crack with age, so don't run a belt that's older than 10 years.

The AC and Accessories belts should both be replaced at the time of timing belt service. They can usually last longer than the timing belt, but since they have to come off to replace the timing belt, you might as well put new ones on. They're only like $10 each. It's not completely necessary to replace the AC and Accessories belts tensioners at this time, especially with how low mileage the car is, so I'd probably hold off on those until the second belt service. Your water pump will probably last until the next service as well.

Volvo says 60k miles for the first spark plug interval. But ask anyone, including Volvo techs, and they'll tell you every 30k.
I live by every 30k, as that's about the point where you'll start to notice decreased fuel economy from old plugs.
No point in replacing the coil packs until they fail.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Definitely do the timing belt and drive belts at 10 years. You don't want a failure there.

I've never heard of an honest Volvo tech recommending plugs on a P1 at 30k intervals. But you're almost at 60k, so I'd do them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the advice! I forgot to mention power steering fluid as well but it's good to know I'm on the right track.

On a side note, I'm going to gothenburg next month so the timing is serendipitous to say the least.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiosity, did you buy it in Texas? I had the autotrader listing saved
I did! I was surprise no one jumped on it earlier the dealer had it for a week. I had a couple of cars in mind for my next daily driver and was looking nationwide so to see this local was a big surprise. I've always liked this car but didn't think I'd find a r design manual since they're rare.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did! I was surprise no one jumped on it earlier the dealer had it for a week. I had a couple of cars in mind for my next daily driver and was looking nationwide so to see this local was a big surprise. I've always liked this car but didn't think I'd find a r design manual since they're rare.
I've been tracking them as well, 2010 was the only year where Volvo brought the facelifted R-Design in AWD and manual as an option; I've seen 1 auto, 2 manuals thus far including this one. It was way too far for me, otherwise I'd definitely go check it out. Congratulations on a unicorn though!

EDIT: Definitely perform a timing belt change and water pump for peace of mind, tensioner and pulley for the timing belt probably is alright, depending on their conditions, but since you're already in there, might as well change them. The 2 serpentine belts and the
tensioners are changed as needed. Flush all fluids to be safe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely plan on doing all that in the upcoming months.

This might be a dumb question but did the R design come with halogen headlights or only xenon? I drove the car during the day and from a quick glance it looked like halogens which is disappointing but since it's a top of the line trim I would assume it has xenons?

If it is halogens the most cost effective improvement is to use H9 bulbs right? Since I'm traveling to Gothenburg could I purchase xenon headlights and do a swap?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I definitely plan on doing all that in the upcoming months.

This might be a dumb question but did the R design come with halogen headlights or only xenon? I drove the car during the day and from a quick glance it looked like halogens which is disappointing but since it's a top of the line trim I would assume it has xenons?

If it is halogens the most cost effective improvement is to use H9 bulbs right? Since I'm traveling to Gothenburg could I purchase xenon headlights and do a swap?
I believe the Xenons came with active bending lights, which that particular car doesn't have. There's a thread on upgrading halogens; I don't believe there's an easy way of upgrading to xenons, but I could be wrong. SKBOWE was the option for P1 platform, but it's not being made anymore

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah I just learned about SKBOWE and sadly enough it is no longer made. I'm assuming that aside from running H9 halogen bulbs the only other solution is to purchase the e46 D2S from retrofit lab:
https://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/volvo-v50-xenon-d2s-e46-retrofit/

Having halogens and lower mpg than modern cars are my only two gripes about the car. The clutch was super easy for daily driving and I hope that it can handle a modest boost in power with a tune and bolt ons.

EDIT-Nvm it appears I need SKBOWE for e46 d2s as well. Modded H9 it is then... it should improve upon this!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The clutch was super easy for daily driving and I hope that it can handle a modest boost in power with a tune and bolt ons.
The clutch is definitely capable of handling the power increase of bolt-ons, however it will wear out more quickly than with stock power levels depending on your driving style. You can upgrade to the S60R/V70R clutch or the Focus RS MKII clutch at that point. That being said, it seems like a lot of members have used the original clutch at high mileage for many tens of thousands of bolt-on tuned driving miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts