SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll. Have any of your dealerships allowed you to take home the XC90 and test drive it for a few hours? We have asked before and they refused. After reading some of the issues with the car, and I know it is a small percent, my husband is thinking we need to cancel our order and wait it out and see how reliability is. We now have a deposit down for a momentum, due in March, so, I am hoping, since we do have a deposit down, they will allow us a few hours with the car. Actually, if we drive it today and my husband agrees to go ahead with the purchase, I will probably buy this one. Same build, just different exterior color. If we don't, then he wants us to get a minivan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
After reading some of the issues with the car.
You can't make any judgement as to the overall reliability of a car based on a Internet forum or a test drive. I took delivery last week, no major issues so far. Does that mean the car is perfect for everyone? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Surprised that they won't let you take a vehicle for an extended drive or overnight - especially if you have an order in with them ... late afternoon until the next morning - or if they're not open on Sunday, take from Saturday before closing to Monday?!

While there have been some documented issues (and associated discussions here on Swedespeed) I would think that any new vehicle would have the small chance that it would have issues (or even smaller chance that its a lemon) - no matter who the manufacturer is.

While I have not investigated minivans a number of my friends have them - and I can't imagine any minivan being compared to the 2016 XC90 :) ... maybe the old (pre-2016) XC90 - but not the new one!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since you have already placed your order and given up a deposit, to be honest, no dealer has any reason or incentive to let you test drive another XC90.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Reliability of a completely redesigned platform cannot be measured with a test drive. If I compare my own experience (25000 Km since july 15) and I combine in the feedback from the others in this forum (that include a good number of FE owners as well) I am very happy with my car. November update/service/recalls fixed pretty much all issues I've had sofar and Volvo has, based on my personal experience, a very good track record in fixing issues when they arise.
Keep also in mind that forums (fori?) are a way of reporting issues and asking questions, usually when someone is happy, doesn't make a lot of noise about it ...
In short, despite the SW glitches found so far (and mostly fixed) I love this car! 2nd best car I've driven ever (and the first was a Panamera, so quite a different type of experience)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Since you have already placed your order and given up a deposit, to be honest, no dealer has any reason or incentive to let you test drive another XC90.
I disagree that there is no incentive. Most deposits are refundable, so why would a dealer refuse this? Why wouldn't the dealer want to ensure the sale and delight a new customer? A purchase of this magnitude should be high-touch, not difficult or contentious. This seems like bad tactics and weak salesmanship, and it does sound dealer-specific given my own experience. My Boston area dealer let me take a Momentum and Inscription on long drives both before AND after they took my deposit on my R Design, as they should. On one of my test drives, my sales guy told me to feel free to drive an XC90 home, pick up my family and take everyone out for a ride (which I started to do until I hit a traffic jam and was turned around from an accident shutting down the HWY for a med-flight). If a dealer wants to extend confidence to a buyer, a longer test drive is one way to prove the capabilities of the vehicle and help demonstrate all of the features that cannot be experienced in a drive around a lot.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm surprised they won't let you take it overnight. My dealer has had 3-4 vehicles rotating in and out for demo and service loaners and allowed me to take one for an entire weekend.
Perhaps call around to other dealers - might want to reward someone else with your sale for treating you better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think most of the problems we read here are software related, given that Volvo has nothing even comes close to the complexity of the sensus system in the past, can't say im surprised with the issues they having. That been said, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

However, more research prior to an big purchase can never be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Have you considered asking for a $0 1-3 day rental with proof of insurance for the purpose of a test drive? That would cover the dealership since your car insurance would be primary. (My dealer would let me drive to the moon... Okay, well, maybe not, BUT they have been very accommodating both during the test drives and while I wait for my T8.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm surprised they won't let you take it overnight. My dealer has had 3-4 vehicles rotating in and out for demo and service loaners and allowed me to take one for an entire weekend.
Perhaps call around to other dealers - might want to reward someone else with your sale for treating you better.
Who is your dealer? They have agreed that we can take it for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It can also be dependent on previous relationship with a dealer. The first dealer I went to offered a 20 minute test drive (which is actually the norm in Sweden). I then called the rep I had bought three Volvos from in the past and he (w/o even asking me) set me up for a 24H test drive. So it can probably vary a lot...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall

I disagree that there is no incentive. Most deposits are refundable, so why would a dealer refuse this? Why wouldn't the dealer want to ensure the sale and delight a new customer? A purchase of this magnitude should be high-touch, not difficult or contentious. This seems like bad tactics and weak salesmanship, and it does sound dealer-specific given my own experience. My Boston area dealer let me take a Momentum and Inscription on long drives both before AND after they took my deposit on my R Design, as they should. On one of my test drives, my sales guy told me to feel free to drive an XC90 home, pick up my family and take everyone out for a ride (which I started to do until I hit a traffic jam and was turned around from an accident shutting down the HWY for a med-flight). If a dealer wants to extend confidence to a buyer, a longer test drive is one way to prove the capabilities of the vehicle and help demonstrate all of the features that cannot be experienced in a drive around a lot.
I will repeat - OP has already tested and ordered the vehicle. The sale is done, so no need to let them play around with another one. Coming from a family background of relatives who either owned or worked at car dealerships I can tell you for a dealer; 'test drives' are a necessary evil. Every time a test vehicle leaves the lot it further decreases its value and subjects it to interior wear. Every dealer can also tell you about some cars they let out for a test drive that came back to the dealer on a tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
That is a very cynical way to look at it and I do not think many people think that way.

However, each retailer has its own unique situations with regards to XC90 availability/inventory. If they have a designated demo, then it could be easier to loan it out for a few hours or even overnight.

If they do not, any retailer would be reluctant to take a car out of stock and pile on the miles; it will make that car even more difficult to sell as new and/or trade to another retailer.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I will repeat - OP has already tested and ordered the vehicle. The sale is done, so no need to let them play around with another one. Coming from a family background of relatives who either owned or worked at car dealerships I can tell you for a dealer; 'test drives' are a necessary evil. Every time a test vehicle leaves the lot it further decreases its value and subjects it to interior wear. Every dealer can also tell you about some cars they let out for a test drive that came back to the dealer on a tow truck.
I am totally flabbergasted by this...are your relatives still in business???

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall

Seriously, it's not done until full payment is received and a deposit is hardly a done deal. I had a dealer in Franklin, Tennessee that gave us a new car to drive and I had never done business with them before. They insisted my wife and I take it for the entire weekend and bring it back Monday even though I assured them I wasn't ready to make a decision. Hard to beat that customer service and my next three cars were Volvo's though we moved out of state not long thereafter.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm stepping out of this one...
And if I were to ever go to a dealer that had a policy or attitude like that, I would also step out of the door, collect my deposit and say buh bye.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have always kept a car for overnight. I firmly believe you can't get a full feel of a car unless you have the opportunity to drive it during the day, night , highway, in town, and if possible, various weather conditions. You have to get an idea if it there is a place to put all our stuff - purse, drinks, regular cargo, etc. When I was growing up, we always had to check to see if we could fit a surfboard into it as well as if was conducive to roof racks. I will not consider buying a car from a dealer who just allows us to drive it around the block.

I was car shopping but didn't know what I wanted. I had been looking for about two weeks at everything I could. I NEVER considered a Volvo until a friend (in her late 50s and no kids) told me she loved her XC90. Oh a whim, I went and looked at one. I looked at a Momentum + and liked it quite a bit. Then I made the mistake of asking him what the difference was between the Momentum + & Inscription. That day I the dealer sent me home in the fully loaded Inscription. It was his suggestion, as I was just in the looking stage. (Yep-there is a sucker born every minute.) I returned it the next day and he told me to keep it over the weekend. It was at his suggestion. I knew I didn't want that particular one, and I was very up front about him about that. It had some features that I didn't want, and I couldn't get past the exterior color. When I returned it, he offered to send me home in the Momentum +, which was a beautiful Magic Blue/Blond combo, but it was missing some of the features I wanted so I declined. I think all total, I had the loner for a little less than a week. We ended up ordering an Inscription, but for the price, I decided I wanted it ordered the exact way I wanted it. He didn't have an Inscription with the color/interior/features I wanted on his lot. However, he did offer me a really good deal to take something he already had in stock, which was VERY tempting.

I would INSIST on an overnight test drive. If you are like me and only have one dealer in your area, it may be a hard sell, but worth a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts