SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, so I'm about to move overseas for at least a year, maybe two. I can't fathom giving up my V50 for the time being, so I'm "storing" it.

I have a place to keep it, but that's unfortunately not in a garage, so other than putting a cover on it, and using fuel stabilizer, what else do I need to do so I don't return to a rotted car?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't seen any of those posts mention anything about preventing rodent damage. I typically just store my vehicle over the winter and I will block the intake and exhaust to keep the critters from crawling inside. I also place dryer sheets in the interior of the car and various places in the engine bay, supposedly the scent should keep them away but not sure if it'll keep its effectiveness over a year or 2. So far after 6 winters I haven't had any damage from the critters *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
For rodent deterrent, I have had good luck with Fresh Cab pouches, found locally at your Tractor Supply/Hardware stores.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It is important you do a full tank worth of stabilizer and then fill up and then drive it down 1/8th of a tank. If you put stabil in the tank only and think it's good, the fuel lines and injectors won't get the affected fuel and cause you issues.

I guess you know this, but just for posterity's sake.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had quite a few cars stored outside for 4 years or more with no prep, and got them back on the road without significant issues. Never had a problem with fuel even if it was 7 years old. Fuel injection systems are pretty well sealed so the gas doesn't go bad like on old carbureted cars. The only problem I had was with the last one with a sticking brake caliper and that was probably because it was stored on grass and dirt. Will someone be around to check on it? Top up the tires? Pump them up to 50 psi minimum and take out the battery. If it's already 2 or 3 years old, just sell it on Craigslist and get a another one when you return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts