SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it in almost 2 years, I put it in about 9 mos before the K16 went in. It handled the extra torque from the K16 quite well, nice feel, slightly higher pedal effort, totally manageable. The Spec 2+ is rated at a maximum of 475 foot pounds of torque. I was very happy with it. 4 mos ago the ENEM cams went in, what a difference, the power increase was substantial, the cams totally woke up that K16.
Unfortunately the clutch does not like all that extra power from the cams, it's starts to slip at higher rpms under full load at the meat of the torque curve. I can launch it without slipping and drive "normally" no problem, it's just when I hit the torque limit for the clutch, I get a little surge in rpms, and it's not holding. I back off a tad and the clutch will clamp up again. I could probably drive it like it is for years.
This is not a negative review of the Spec 2+ clutch, I have just exceded it's holding power. It's looks like a Spec 3+ rated at 600 Ft/lbs is in my future. Maybe VIVA will have another cyber Monday sale like they did last year, I'll wait til then.
The whole point of this post is to share this info to anyone with a MT considering a K16 and cam swap, get the Spec 3+ if you are considering going down this road.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
As always I love to read your threads. You're probably the only person who took this little T5 engine on P1s to these limits... Very neat info.
Much thanks for sharing!!!

I wonder, where do you think your V50 fairs now in comparison to other brand cars? Said differently, if you had to pick two competitors car just below and just above yours what would they be? I'm just realizing that could be kind of a fun thread to start, granted SS members don't mind a dose of self criticism :p

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly I don't know what I'd compare it to, MT, AWD, big HP and TQ numbers, and a wagon with a roof rack and cross bars where I can easily go to home depot and buy a load of 4x4's , 2x 4's and 1x 6' for 50 ft of fencing, lol. I don't think I couldn't do that in a Porsche. A step up, would be a CTS-V wagon, available 6 speed MT, 6.2 l V8 with eaton-supercharger, 556HP, 551 Tq, but no AWD. Just for kicks I went to their site and built one, $68,280.00. The Allroad is the only wagon available from Audi in the US, available only with atuomatic, AWD, 2.0L puts out 211 HP and 258 TQ for 47K, this would be similiar in performance to my wifes A3, quite a bit slower than the V50, peppy, but nothing to get excited about. BMW no longer imports their wagon into the US for 2013. Subaru wagon, had one, no thanks. Acura TSX sport wagon, 32K comparable to Volvo pricing, but what's sporty about 201 HP?
So, if I wanted to replace my wagon with another wagon, MT, AWD and comparable performance, there are no choices out there. Unless Volvo decides to bring in the V40 or V60 and decides to offer a MT and decides to make another "true" sport wagon, ala V70R but better, I think I'll just keep what I have.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Frankly I don't know what I'd compare it to, MT, AWD, big HP and TQ numbers, and a wagon with a roof rack and cross bars where I can easily go to home depot and buy a load of 4x4's , 2x 4's and 1x 6' for 50 ft of fencing, lol. I don't think I couldn't do that in a Porsche. A step up, would be a CTS-V wagon, available 6 speed MT, 6.2 l V8 with eaton-supercharger, 556HP, 551 Tq, but no AWD. Just for kicks I went to their site and built one, $68,280.00. The Allroad is the only wagon available from Audi in the US, available only with atuomatic, AWD, 2.0L puts out 211 HP and 258 TQ for 47K, this would be similiar in performance to my wifes A3, quite a bit slower than the V50, peppy, but nothing to get excited about. BMW no longer imports their wagon into the US for 2013. Subaru wagon, had one, no thanks. Acura TSX sport wagon, 32K comparable to Volvo pricing, but what's sporty about 201 HP?
So, if I wanted to replace my wagon with another wagon, MT, AWD and comparable performance, there are no choices out there. Unless Volvo decides to bring in the V40 or V60 and decides to offer a MT and decides to make another "true" sport wagon, ala V70R but better, I think I'll just keep what I have.
I hear you man, I'm not thrilled about the car offering these days... I didn't mean to compare everything apples to apples or even within the same car group, more loose comparison ;)
I'm not asking you to look for another car either :p, hopefully you'll be around SS with your car a long time :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
TG - something like this?
cayman s < madden's v50 < 911

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
TG - something like this?
cayman s < madden's v50 < 911
wow really?! hmmm those are too similar to fit the wagon in between, there needs to be some overall car attribute in the mix :D
Closer to what madden was talking about I was expecting more the Audi RS4 wagon I guess... though I can't say if it's a < or a > ;)

Sorry, This is a distraction to Madden's thread . . . :p

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about Cayman S, 320 hp and 273 ft lbs and 911 turbo 500 hp and 516 ft lbs, I can safely say I fall in between those two, lol, a Volvo wagon, who'd know?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
In canada we have the BMW 328xi touring AWD manual also the Audi A4 Avant quattro manual

I think there is a subaru legacy wagon also MT AWD?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Sorry, This is a distraction to Madden's thread . . . :p
impossible. Madden's threads are always so full of WIN there is no way to distract from them.
@ Madden - getting back to your original post - good look. anyone doing the k16 upgrade should skip SPEC 2+ and go right to 3.....

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Spec 2+ was fine with the K16 alone, it wasn't till the cams went in that it failed to hold. I did not drive the V50 that much the last 4 mos. after the cams went in, I was screwing around with the other Volvo, 242 with the small block, and my daughter was back home between jobs (she's an opera singer and had 4 mos. off between her gig in Richmond and her current one at the Chicago Opera house)and needed a car for the summer,I let her use the V50 rather than the V8 Volvo, since I've had the car back these last 3 weeks, I've destroyed the motor mounts and the clutch won't hold at maximum torque. I am not abusive, just spirited, when I was trying to figure out what was going on I went a little too fast on an open stretch on my way to the store, funny how this car gets to 100mph so fast, not saying I was going that fast and I get in the left turn lane waiting for the light to turn and one of Seattle's finest comes roaring up behind me, I thought this is not going to be good. I putter into the parking lot and he follows me in, I park. He drives past me, and stops. I get out give him a nod, and go into the store. He's gone when I come back out. Whew!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya', I am waiting for final tune and need to resolve clutch issue first, even so I took a tech in my ride today and snapped him back into his seat, he asked if that was full throttle, umm, no, we are in traffic.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ahahah, this thread is awesome.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Interesting, surprised the 2+ doesn't hold but could be due to the term of use and now with the new found power the worm pressure plate can no longer keep it locked up.

I went and looked at a Cayman S the other week. Was a 2011 and outside my budget but are amazing cars. Will definitely be doing more research and hopefully a purchase next fair weather season.

As a side comparison, my buddies Evo is up to the stupid speed mark. Blew the doors off a Stage 3 S4 like it was standing still and another friends 700whp supra. Would be curious how Maddens car stacks up to a similar AWD turbo platform at respective power levels.

We need to do a NW track meet next summer to unleash that beast and hang out :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts