SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My opinion is this. The mechanical longevity aspect of most (if not all) car brands these days is fairly moot. The issues around reliability are those electronic boxes and associated software that goes in those boxes. Your working turbo is no good if the sensus display won't work or the fancy key won't allow you entry to said car. Heck at a level of car like these, even a heated seat failure is problematic. Nevermind the lack of software updates and processing power of the sensus screen. Or the car suddenly decides that you shouldn't be able to open a window. All because some software bug triggered a fault....

That is why for the next few years I've decided to have in warranty new vehicles only and keep my 97 TJ as a back up. Barely anything electronic in there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I as well have a 2017 XC90 T6, got it last year with 31k and now it has 40k. So far I've had a few issues but only one powertrain issue. The torque mount rubber was breaking apart, which seems to be a long term Volvo issue. I did get the premium extended warranty that covers 10yr/100k miles because I know as soon as that CPO warranty is over somethings gonna s*** the bed.

My only complaint is transmission feel, sometimes it just seems to not select the right gear at times and then it will downshift and jerk forward. I have the OE Volvo fluid so going to do a drain and fill on it and see if that helps.
I hated the shifting on my 2017 T6 Momentum xc90. I found that both comfort and the dynamic/polestar mode was much better shifting after applying the Polestar tune. You may want to consider it if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hated the shifting on my 2017 T6 Momentum xc90. I found that both comfort and the dynamic/polestar mode was much better shifting after applying the Polestar tune. You may want to consider it if you don't already have it.
Second this, my T6's shift became acceptable after P star tune.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I as well have a 2017 XC90 T6, got it last year with 31k and now it has 40k. So far I've had a few issues but only one powertrain issue. The torque mount rubber was breaking apart, which seems to be a long term Volvo issue. I did get the premium extended warranty that covers 10yr/100k miles because I know as soon as that CPO warranty is over somethings gonna s*** the bed.

My only complaint is transmission feel, sometimes it just seems to not select the right gear at times and then it will downshift and jerk forward. I have the OE Volvo fluid so going to do a drain and fill on it and see if that helps.
A random engine or transmission torque mount is not a Volvo failure……it’s every car made failure. go to any brand with a four-cylinder engine and the vibration is going to cause failures. This is nothing unique to Volvo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A random engine or transmission torque mount is not a Volvo failure……it’s every car made failure. go to any brand with a four-cylinder engine and the vibration is going to cause failures. This is nothing unique to Volvo.
Not true, I have a 2.4 liter 4 cyl K24 on my 2nd vehicle and this is the first I've heard of the engine torque mount failing. Previously owned the 2.2 liter f22 engines, Toyota's 2.0L engines and I've never had to replace one.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Not true, I have a 2.4 liter 4 cyl K24 on my 2nd vehicle and this is the first I've heard of the engine torque mount failing. Previously owned the 2.2 liter f22 engines, Toyota's 2.0L engines and I've never had to replace one.
Well that may be your experience but that still doesn’t make it typical. I have serviced thousands of cars, new and used, and I can assure you MANY brands have mounts that tear. Even a severe pothole can cause it. Since 4 cylinders (or 5) are some of the most vibration prone motors by design they often have the most mounts that fail. Of course they are designed to absorb lots of vibration, hence more likely to fail over time than a perfectly balanced inline engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 16 XC90 T6 R I bought new, with 125000 miles now, has needed the motor replaced due to piston rings, supercharger intake plenum (whatever its called) resealed, pcv replaced, and lots of brakes. Needed motor done at 70k, with all highway miles, and early oil changes, all done at volvo. Sceen will reboot twice sometimes. Look for a Lexus GX, LX if you want to keep it long term.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My 16 XC90 T6 R I bought new, with 125000 miles now, has needed the motor replaced due to piston rings, supercharger intake plenum (whatever its called) resealed, pcv replaced, and lots of brakes. Needed motor done at 70k, with all highway miles, and early oil changes, all done at volvo. Sceen will reboot twice sometimes. Look for a Lexus GX, LX if you want to keep it long term.
While that is disappointing……every knows a first year 2016 model is NEVER going to be good. Many of your issues were long addressed and not present it later model years. Doesn’t help you any I know, but you can’t judge long term reliability from the 2016 model year. At all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well that may be your experience but that still doesn’t make it typical. I have serviced thousands of cars, new and used, and I can assure you MANY brands have mounts that tear. Even a severe pothole can cause it. Since 4 cylinders (or 5) are some of the most vibration prone motors by design they often have the most mounts that fail. Of course they are designed to absorb lots of vibration, hence more likely to fail over time than a perfectly balanced inline engine.
If you think that a severe pothole will destroy a engine torque mount then you've got way worse problems to deal with first. You seem to go around telling people your experiences are more "the normal" and invalidate any other person's experiences. I think you're either a super fan of volvo, troll, or both. You can't seem to accept that people have different experiences other than your own. Because you've serviced volvos doesn't mean you can speak to their reliability as a whole. Something that I have experienced with my Volvo doesn't make it the defacto impression of the entire brand. You really need to cut down on your rhetoric since it's clearly based on your opinion.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
If you think that a severe pothole will destroy a engine torque mount then you've got way worse problems to deal with first. You seem to go around telling people your experiences are more "the normal" and invalidate any other person's experiences. I think you're either a super fan of volvo, troll, or both. You can't seem to accept that people have different experiences other than your own. Because you've serviced volvos doesn't mean you can speak to their reliability as a whole. Something that I have experienced with my Volvo doesn't make it the defacto impression of the entire brand. You really need to cut down on your rhetoric since it's clearly based on your opinion.
Wooooooh thier cowboy. If you want to say someone that worked at 3 different Volvo stores over MANY years in different states that has seen thousands of cars fixed doesn't know anything about their long term reliability..... have at it. But that doesn't mean your opinion is widely held. Can you please lay out the criteria for a person to be "certified" in "knowing when a Volvo is reliable"? Long term service and parts managers appear to not be on your list apparently, which is odd.

Clearly you haven't seen a Midwest pothole, because yes.....as a car ages and gets higher mileage a worn engine/transmission mount hitting a big pothole is all it takes to finally tear it in two pieces. And as far as my comments on 2016s not being a great reliability measuring stick (and the engines having been notably updated), feel free to find someone that is gonna disagree. You won't. That's just common sense and proven by part numbers.

I get so sick of people trying to conflate "know it all" with "know a lot". Big difference. I never claimed to "know it all". Years of first hand experiences does make me "know a lot". It's even easier to know a lot when common sense and the parts book supports your claim. Seriously man.....It's like you just are looking to pick a fight with a total stranger on the internet. Why don't you start a poll and see how many people agree with me? Probably because you know the outcome wouldn't be in your favor.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not saying they are not a failure on all cars. Anything rubber in an engine bay will eventually fail. What I do know is we have owned two GM vehicles that also had torque mounts. The LG3 and the L36, neither required a premature replacement. In fact the L36 never needed one in the 10 years I owned it. My S60 2.4, S80 3.2 and now XC90 T6 all required replacements very early on in their lifespan. When I took in the XC90 the service advisor told me it’s not uncommon. What is more telling is that the designt the mount I had is not the same design they put on. So Volvo already redesigned it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While that is disappointing……every knows a first year 2016 model is NEVER going to be good. Many of your issues were long addressed and not present it later model years. Doesn’t help you any I know, but you can’t judge long term reliability from the 2016 model year. At all.
True, first year cars are usually not as good. I still don't trust the reliability of the newer SPA cars though. Its a shame because I love everything else about them. Also a shame to see Volvo stopped the XC90 R design, along with passion red in 2019.

·
Registered
MY21 | XC90 | T8 | PPF, powder coat wheels, painted calipers, blacked out chrome, ceramic pro
49 Posts
My two cents. I have a 2013 Camry Hybrid and a 2021 XC90 T8. If your sole priority is longevity and reliability, Toyota/Lexus wins. It’s not even close.
However, I bought the Volvo because I wanted to feel connected to my car and enjoy my commute. When you factor how much time some people spend in their cars everyday, it’s important. As I drove my Camry daily, I knew my car was going to get me from A to B barring an accident or tire puncture. But I felt dead inside when I drove it. It’s numb, unresponsive, and devoid of any spirit. In the Volvo, I feel comfortable, engaged and more connected to the road/car.
In the end, I know it’s not the most practical car for me but it’s something I love to drive. I’m willing to sacrifice longevity and reliability within reason for that. I know the Camry will last 15 years if I take care of it but I will only want to drive it for 7. The Volvo is something I want to drive for 15 years and will probably only get 7.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My two cents. I have a 2013 Camry Hybrid and a 2021 XC90 T8. If your sole priority is longevity and reliability, Toyota/Lexus wins. It’s not even close.
As someone that worked at both Lexus and Volvo dealerships I find this laughable. Yeah....20 years ago that was the case, but not any more for Toyota/Lexus. Every day I came and worked with an endless supply of broken Lexus cars, replacing engines, transmissions, drivetrain, suspension, electronics....you name it and it broke all the time. Toyota no longer has the upper hand on reliability, not even close. Remember when they had to replace hundreds of thousands of trashed engines? Never seen Volvo have to do that.... One of the greatest myths in the car industry is the notion of Lexus/Toyota being so reliable. That time has come and gone. A Volvo will likely last longer than the Toyota simply because the Toyota will rust away before the Volvo dies.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
As someone that worked at both Lexus and Volvo dealerships I find this laughable. Yeah....20 years ago that was the case, but not any more for Toyota/Lexus. Every day I came and worked with an endless supply of broken Lexus cars, replacing engines, transmissions, drivetrain, suspension, electronics....you name it and it broke all the time. Toyota no longer has the upper hand on reliability, not even close. Remember when they had to replace hundreds of thousands of trashed engines? Never seen Volvo have to do that.... One of the greatest myths in the car industry is the notion of Lexus/Toyota being so reliable. That time has come and gone. A Volvo will likely last longer than the Toyota simply because the Toyota will rust away before the Volvo dies.
How long ago did Toyota go thru the engine oil burning issues? Volvo's was a lot more recent, and still no lawsuit . They had the blue prints of what to stick with, but changed it anyways, and changed back to a similar design they already had. Pistons and rings might as well be considered an engine replacement. And some of them end up being just that. Add in brakes, ERAD issues, catastrophic XC40 recharge issues (I've seen multiple stranded on the street now), coolant leaks, A/C evaporator leaks,

I know you think I am lying, but our 17 XC90 T6 engine was replaced at about 55k miles due to non-piston/ring issues. Had it not, catastrophic failure would have occurred. Among the host of others with the former 2020, and the current 2021.

I agree that Toyota/Lexus are moving way backwards. But don't kid yourself with flexing reliability in favor of Volvo. A lot of manufacturers suck in terms of reliability, just like Volvo. Add in service costs and octane requirement for Volvo compared to Toyota/Lexus... and Volvo lacks considerably there too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MY21 | XC90 | T8 | PPF, powder coat wheels, painted calipers, blacked out chrome, ceramic pro
49 Posts
Thanks for your insight. I guess we lucked out with all our Toyotas. We still have a 2002 Camry with 200K miles (no major repair needed yet) in the family and have owned 4 total. They left us via wrecks or were sold off. Anyways my point was that life is short, drive what you enjoy driving within reason. Also now my new point is that life is short, be nice to one another. We all can’t be car mechanics.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Before purchasing my T8, I frequently visited this forum. And the majority consensus here was not to keep the Volvo after the warranty. I don't regret getting the T8, it's such a wonderful car. I was also not putting high hopes on keeping the T8 as long as my other Volvos after reading the comments in SS. I've kept my previous Volvo running reasonably well, no major issues and pretty reliable for many years till I sold them. Had no problems with the turbo or transmission. This was despite a lot of 'bad' reps locally on these models. The T8 is my 1st new Volvo with a warranty, the rest were bought used with most of the work done by me rather than sending to the shop.

With the later XC90s 2020 and above (just picking a year) would the reliability have improved? Anyone with a newer XC90 planning to keep theirs beyond the warranty?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts