SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going from las vegas to northern cal today, and come back sunday. the trip is about 1400 miles total. What r some things i might need. I am not sure if im going to run through reno or up california's central valley. if anyone know what way is faster that would help too.

Anyway back to the topic. What tools may i need as just in case. i currently have stock jack, tire star, jumper cables, screw drivers, wrenchs, and plyers. what else do you think? and what is the number for the volvo road side assist, i have the full warranty.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: Long road trip checklist (thorne)

Quote, originally posted by thorne »
I am not sure if im going to run through reno or up california's central valley. if anyone know what way is faster that would help too.

I did this trip a couple weeks ago and went through the Central Valley.. it was relatively quick. I did it in about 8 hours. Be careful on 58 between Barstow and Bakersfield though.. lots of Highway Patrol and I had to hammer the brakes a few times http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Top off all fluids.

Otherwise, everything should be good.

Make sure your spare is in good shape, including your lug wrench and wheel lock key

You can't prepare for a broken radiator, broken power steering, MAF, IAT sensor for a road trip.

Thats what AAA and Roadside assistance is for.

Also, whatcha doing in nor-cal?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: Long road trip checklist (thorne)

Going from las vegas to northern cal today, and come back sunday. the trip is about 1400 miles total. What r some things i might need. I am not sure if im going to run through reno or up california's central valley. if anyone know what way is faster that would help too.

Anyway back to the topic. What tools may i need as just in case. i currently have stock jack, tire star, jumper cables, screw drivers, wrenchs, and plyers. what else do you think? and what is the number for the volvo road side assist, i have the full warranty.

What is your No Ca destination - probably better to travel the valley if you're going closer to the coast.

I'm currently on a long road trip, about 2400 miles total, and carry the following:

Tool kit: (small ratchet kit, screw drivers, small hammer, tape, crescent wrench(x2), various star fittings)
Emergency kit: (reflector, road flares, two flashlights, extra batteries, rags, vinyl gloves, safety glasses, work coveralls, jumper cables, water, dried food, couple of spare bulbs and fuses)
Full Size Spare: Including a proper tire tool and torque wrench (probably don't need the TW, just hand tighten evenly until you can get to a tire store to set torque to 103 ft-lbs)
Cleaning kit: Your choice here
Volvo On-Call number should be in your owner's manual.

All of the above fit in a nice yellow Volvo bag I won at a VCOA Meet last year.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: Long road trip checklist (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
large duffel bag, an axe, a small vat of acid, a shovel, some matches...
You forgot the personal protection hardware (your choice) and DIY Black Ops handbook.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Stay out of central California. If you're not from Central Cal or never been during this time... you want to avoid that area at all cost.

It's Tule season right now. Visibiltiy can be reduced to 4" in front of the windsheild. It will be a very bad year with all the rain this season. It's probably to most dangerous situation you could put yourself into and it can very fustrating. If CHP feels the area is too bad... well you could be sitting on the side of the road for maybe 3 hours will the fog lifts.

Go over I80 through Reno and Tahoe. You want to plan that to leave Vegas in the morning and hit Tahoe in the afternoon... to avoid cold Temps.

Also, another note is Snow is Called for the summit on 58 at Tehachapi... and anything over 3,000 feet. Tahoe might be the same. You might need Chains this weekend... which ever way you go.

For more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

Modified by KillerB at 10:25 AM 3-19-2009

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (carlosR)

Im heading to chico ca just north of sacramento. I forgot about that pass, i was more worried about the I80 near reno being closed. So staying out of the california valley may be better huh? its funny, google maps says central valley at around 640 miles and 10 hours, but when you switch it to travel through reno its only 578 miles and 10 hrs 39 mins. Also MSN says reno is faster at 9 hrs 34 mins, how can they be so different???

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: (thorne)

Im heading to chico ca just north of sacramento. I forgot about that pass, i was more worried about the I80 near reno being closed. So staying out of the california valley may be better huh?

The dangers of Central Cal from Nov 1 - March 31

Visibility:

Visibility in tule fog is usually less than an eighth of a mile (about 600 feet), but can be less than 10 feet. Visibility can vary rapidly; in only a few feet visibility can go from 10 feet to near zero.{http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/newslet/winter00/fogseason.htm} Satellite and overhead photos of the San Joaquin Valley may show the fog where agriculture and cities like Sacramento can be seen.

The variability in visibility is the cause of many chain-reaction pile-ups on roads and freeways. In one such accident on Interstate 5 near Elk Grove south of Sacramento, 25 cars and 12 big-rig trucks collided inside a fog bank in December 1997. Five people died and 28 were injured. In February 2002, two people were killed in an 80-plus car pile-up on State Route 99 between Kingsburg and Selma. The visibility at the time of the accident was zero. On the morning of November 3, 2007, heavy tule fog caused a massive pile-up that included 108 passenger vehicles and 18 big rig trucks on Northbound State Route 99 between Fowler and Fresno. Visibility was cut to about 200 feet at the time of the accident. There were two fatalities and 39 injuries in the crash. [1].

Black Ice:
Lack of visibility in tule fog is hazardous enough, but these fog events are often accompanied by drizzle and freezing drizzle. Because of the lack of sunlight penetrating the fog layer, temperatures may struggle to climb above freezing, and episodes of freezing drizzle occasionally accompany tule fog events during winter. Such events can leave an invisible glaze of black ice on roadways, making travel especially treacherous.

Rain, Snow and cold weather forecasted for the weekend. That's all you need to trigger Tule fog.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts

Gas. I made a trip from Maryland to Vermont for some Maple Syrup in the fall. After my purchase we turned around and drove home. My checklist was completed upon filling the tank.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

You know where I can find it those conditions exist? Dont want to hit that stuff.

Grapevine pass to the South all the way to Sacramento.

Sometimes they get it up north and it sometimes pushes it's way out to San Francisco. It's too complex to explain, but basically there is no air drainage out of the valley and low level clouds / moisture gets trapped. It's worse on the south end of the valley because most air / weather conditions leak through to the valley via the San Francisco area and the Sacremento River... then compacts against the south valley. It's why Bakersfield see's 120's in the summer.

So, if you took 58... you'll hit that condition all the way down the Tehachapi pass to Bakersfield... and pretty much stay in risk until you reach Sacramento. There would be small breaks in the big cities like Bakersfield and Fresno, but any time you go through an agricultural area... you run the risk.

Normally, I would say you would be safe going into March because temps are in the 80's and 90's, but this year has been brutially cold and there is still snow falling at the 3K mark this late in the season... this south in the valley.

Honestly, If you are going to Chico from Vegas, I would rather take I80.

Hwy99 through central California is 55mph with slow sectons towards Fresno. There is a lot of radar on hwy 99. No one in CA takes hwy99... for obvious reason's. I think you could keep a much higher rate of speed in NV.

If you could get to I-5 here in CA... well you could get the car up to 80-90mph (with a radar detector)... but you'll run the risk of Tule until Sac... so, chances are that you won't carry those speeds.

You'll have to worry about snow on Sunday. It would be idea if you came back over any pass on Monday.

Tule won't be something to worry about after Wednesday of next week... couple days after the storm passes.

'R' Kelly will know about this too... he's originally from Fresno.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.