SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I have a pretty nice order from IPD coming and it looks like ill be pretty busy! For my 05SR I have IPD's HD coils, OEM spark plugs, k&n air filter, cabin filter, and fuel filter. For my Dad's 06 XC90 T5 I have IPD's silicone Intercooler couplers (he wanted them in blue because he liked how its going to stand out haha), k&n air filter, cabin filter, silicone TCV hoses (also in blue), and finally a boost gauge. After years of trying to figure out how to pitch the idea of him even letting me buy him a boost gauge, out of no where decides he liked mine in my 04 s40 (1st gen) and in my 94 855 turbo, and bought one for himself. Now the main reason for this post... I hav a very basic tool set at home. All of my tools are in my box at work so instead of lugging home a huge snap on box I was hoping to bring only the tools I need home. Now what tools should I need? Also what's the correct torque for the spark plugs? And the correct plug gap? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Too lazy to look up the actual sizes....but here's what I remember. You need a 10 or 11mm socket for the coils...and obviously a plug socket for them. Can't help you on the torque. The filters both need a torx bit to get to...T5 maybe? I'd just bring the entire range of them. Flat head screwdriver for the air filter itself. No idea on the fuel filter. Boost gauge will require some sort of cutting device...plus probably a pair of pliers for the hose clamps. Not sure about the intercooler couplers.

I realize this is only so useful...but its a start. If it were me, I'd bring my entire set of small metric sockets....5mm to 15mm or so, a ratcheting screwdriver with basic and torx bits, and a pair of needlenose pliers provided they have the cutting part near the handle. I think you should be in good shape for everything but the last of the TCV hoses...most everything else is straightforward and relatively accessible. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Plug torque I believe is around 22lbs. Though out them on handing tight and give a small twist more and you'll be good

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard on white blocks that's the 3 4 and 5 cylinders are hard to get to, but I looks as if they are just ad easy as 1 and 2. Are they and more difficult?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I heard on white blocks that's the 3 4 and 5 cylinders are hard to get to, but I looks as if they are just ad easy as 1 and 2. Are they and more difficult?
I have no idea why you would think that... its an inline 5 cyl motor, they are spaced evenly across the top. All 5 coils/plugs are easy to remove as the next one.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought but I kept hearing that those 3 cylinders were harder to reach and I thought I must be missing something because they all seem fairly easy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Spark plugs are quick and simple.You will need a 7mm socket and T25 torx bit to remove the charge pipe. Then a T30 to remove screws that hold the blue cover on. The bolts that hold the coils down are 10mm and the spark plug size is 5/8. As mentioned above, the torque for the plugs is 22 ft. lbs.

For the K&N you need a T25 to remove the air box cover. Then either a flat blade screw driver or 6 or 7mm socket to loosen the clamp on the filter. I'm sure you can get it back together. :)

Cabin filter you will need a T25. On the passenger side in the foot well there are two screws to remove. Then once that piece is off, there are three more screws to remove on the black cover.

Here a couple links just incase.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?159939
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4C_uQ3hNfo

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Hopefully ill have enough time after work to tackle both cars. Weather permitting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts