SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Well, after sitting for 5 or 6 days, it had trouble starting and spewed out tons of white smoke once it did...

Looks like it’s a head gasket after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Noooooo. Bummer.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Noooooo. Bummer.
I’m still tinkering with it, I think it might be a fuel issue with cold starting. I’ll post an update soon about it.
Not exhibiting any other head gasket symptoms besides the smoke and hard cold starts.

Always something haha

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
So under the thought of it being a fuel issue...

I sent the injectors away to be cleaned and refurbished. Turns out one of them was clogged!
Just reinstalled them, no change with the hard start issue...
now the ETM light is popping up, but goes away on subsequent restarts.
Continues to run like a dream once it’s warmed up.

No other head gasket symptoms that I can see... oil is clean, doesn’t appear to be losing coolant now.

Who knows at this point. Gonna take it down to my mechanic when I get time, so he can hook it up to VIDA and get some live data as it’s cranking...

Hopefully we will know what’s up soon!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Well I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter this morning, seemed the logical thing to do after finding out the injectors were a bit clogged up... and what do you know! Fired right up.. weird, as the fuel filter that was in there was only about 5 years old.

Going to let it sit overnight again, do a cold start in the morning to verify... but it seems to be good now.

Oh, and I put a can of this stuff in too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Really needed a bath after sitting for a month...

All fresh and clean now! Seems to be running great.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I think we might finally be there.... fingers crossed this fixed the cold starting problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
She is driving like a dream once again...
Dang. Fingers crossed I can just drive and enjoy for a while now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Not much to update thankfully! Running great. My wife has been using it to drive back and forth to work, and it’s been treating her well. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Such a great photo, good to hear it's doing well!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
This made me laugh, was abandoned right before the entrance to the junkyard haha. Almost made it...

2002 Volvo C70 Coupe - Silver/Black, 2.3 T5/5 Speed Auto

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
It’s back to doing it’s hard/flooded start this again... gonna have to take it down to my mechanic soon and let him go through it.. ugh! At least it runs fine once it manages to get going.

Anyways, I fixed something today that’s been bothering me for ages.. the headlight wiring. I got these jewels from the junkyard, and slapped some new glass on them the better part of a year ago. So they look great, but the wiring was awful. The insulation was cracking off, just a smoking fire waiting to happen honestly.

So I ordered all new stuff from IPD, new OEM harnesses, along with the H11 and 9005 plugs, and soldered it all up! Satisfying little project.

Definitely an improvement, since the high beams didn’t work at all before lol

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
Nice. Throw some LEDs in there to update your light output to modern standards.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Yeah I might do a projector retrofit or something next. Will have to do some research!

And fingers crossed, but I MIGHT have solved this flooded start problem that’s been plaguing the car. I replaced the MAF! I replaced it a little over 6 years ago (in my mind I had done it like last year lol), so I figured it was worth a shot to change it again. Thanks FCP for your awesome warranty!

Right off the bat it seems to idle more smoothly (still a bit rich maybe). But I’ll let it sit for 4 or 5 days and see what happens.

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Surprise surprise, 5 days later it did the same crap on startup again. I’m now pretty certain it’s the battery ground cable, since the car completely died during cranking, and a quick jiggle of the cable brought it back to life.. definitely not good that they’re loose!

But I’m tired of blindly firing the parts cannon, it’ll be at the mechanic next week to get hooked up to VIDA, and see what it says.

Anyways, today I found a 2005+ power steering reservoir in a box, bought it years ago and completely forgot about it. Conveniently, the old reservoir has started leaking again! So I swapped that out today, fingers crossed it’s good.

I think this is the 4th reservoir in the car since I’ve owned it lol.

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Walked out to this today...

Some degenerate piece of trash decided to KNIFE my hood. Put several deep scratches down to the metal, and then used the tip to actually puncture a hole in it... I’m absolutely livid.

The sheriff’s deputy says there’s been a rash of car break ins and vandalism around the neighborhood lately, which is just great.

A maintenance guy found a knife near the car this morning, hopefully the cops are able to track down the guy. Ugh!!! You work so hard to keep an old car nice... and then this happens.

Luckily it’s completely isolated to the hood, no other panels were damaged, so that’s easily replaceable if I can find one.

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I uh, wut! Ppl suck.

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
wow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Apparently they arrested the guy today! He vandalized a lot of cars, all over the neighborhood. Then stole one! So he can enjoy jail for a while.

Anyways, I brought the car to my trusted mechanic today, he’s going to have a poke around and hopefully figure out this flooded starting issue.

1995 BMW 525i
2017 Toyota Yaris IA

·
Registered
48 Posts
You really need to vida+dice scan your car asap for any all trouble codes. a generic obd scan will not work.
I had the exact same issue on out v70r and it was infact a cracked between cylinder wall.
It would randomly hard start and a small cloud of white-ish smoke but it seemed normal.
I made sure to let the car sit for 10days then I removed all the sparks plugs and looked inside to see cylinder#3 had few mm of coolant inside :eek:. Also the spark plug on that cylinder semi wet.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts