SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lock my door using the little depression in the door handle (with the keys in my pocket) it can take 4 to 5 seconds and a fair amount of moving my thumb around. Is that the case for everyone?

Every once in a while it can be quick, but mostly it's much slower than just taking the keys out of my pocket and clicking the lock button on them.

On the other hand, unlocking is pretty instantaneous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue. You don't have to move your thumb. Instead, just hold the handle for a few seconds it should work. I think it's because it takes a few second for the alarm to engage after the door is close.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I lock my door using the little depression in the door handle (with the keys in my pocket) it can take 4 to 5 seconds and a fair amount of moving my thumb around. Is that the case for everyone?

Every once in a while it can be quick, but mostly it's much slower than just taking the keys out of my pocket and clicking the lock button on them.

On the other hand, unlocking is pretty instantaneous.
So far I haven't had that issue. I've loved that feature. It works pretty quickly for me and always without having to play around with where I press. The only think I would say is if I do it too quickly after any for he doors to the car has closed there is a delay. But if I give it a few seconds before trying it works quickly.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think it has something to do with the car sensing the key. If the key is too far away or close enough but my body is in between the key and the vehicle, it won't sense the key and not lock or unlock the vehicle. It works immediately as soon as I reposition the key closer to the vehicle. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is actually quite fast and sensitive.
Yesterday I was hosing off the car with the key in my pocket and it kept beeping as if locking when water would come in contact with the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Mine is exactly the same as the OPs and it does get annoying. Especially having owned other cars that had touch areas for keyless locking and they never didn't lock the vehicle when touched. And to be clear, it is the locking touch area on the front of the handle that is a problem. It always unlocks just fine with the touch strip on the back of the door handle.

Seeing as how some don't have this issue, I guess it is definitely something that I'll be bringing up with the dealer during the eventual 'update' visit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sometimes if the key is sitting in your pocket with your cell phone it causes interference between the car and the key

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I get this a little. Not enough that it's really annoying but I could see that happening.

I find when I close the door only by pressing it shut with my finger on the lock sensor it locks immediately 95% of the time. Like all one motion, shutting the door and pressing the lock sensor all at once.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This feature is the default way I lock and unlock the car. I use the keyfob for this rarely. So it gets used a ton. Of the dozens of gremlins I have dealt with, this hasn't been a problem. And I really like how it's smart enough to even unlock the second row rows for you when you grab the handle too, even if you haven't yet unlocked the first row. Super convenient since on typical days I access the second row first to drop by bag.

Sorry to hear it seems to have inconsistent results for some. Perhaps it's a physical sensor issue? For those with inconsistent results, have you tried other doors to see if the behavior is the same? If it affects the drivers door more than others, it probably points to a sensor problem. If it affects all the same, it probably is a keyfob or other issue.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
It sounds more like a learning curve issue. It works like a charm on my S60.....

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
For those with inconsistent results, have you tried other doors to see if the behavior is the same? If it affects the drivers door more than others, it probably points to a sensor problem. If it affects all the same, it probably is a keyfob or other issue.
That's actually a good idea, I'll try locking from a different handle over some time and see if it doesn't happen as often. I'd say, on mine, it's a 50/50 chance it either works right away or I give up and just use the fob (drivers door lock touch sensor).

It sounds more like a learning curve issue. It works like a charm on my S60.....
Definitely not a learning curve issue here as every car I have owned since 2005 has had a smart key system, 6 vehicles in total. Some had physical buttons you pressed to perform the lock/unlock function but the 2010 and 2012 I owned had touch sensors for locking like the new XC90. They never did not lock immediately when I touched the lock sensor like my XC90.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think it has to do with the antenna placement. Based on the manual the antennas are in the rear doors. I've found if I position my pocket where the key is towards the back door I never have an issue with a lock command delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Mine is exactly the same as the OPs and it does get annoying. Especially having owned other cars that had touch areas for keyless locking and they never didn't lock the vehicle when touched. And to be clear, it is the locking touch area on the front of the handle that is a problem. It always unlocks just fine with the touch strip on the back of the door handle.

Seeing as how some don't have this issue, I guess it is definitely something that I'll be bringing up with the dealer during the eventual 'update' visit.
Please share what you find out from your dealer....

·
Registered
39 Posts
maybe... but I remember Grecian himself gave similar feedback after spending a week in a demo vehicle. Here is a quote from a post of his on 5/15/15 (from the thread on tailgate opening)

* The keyless entry (locking and unlocking) takes a few more seconds than today's Volvo models; something I am still trying to get used to since for a few seconds I feel that it is not working. I have to condition myself to touch the door handle and expect the doors to lock three seconds later, not instantly. Unlocking is almost instant. Still, I wish the locking response would be a second or so quicker

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't compare it to previous Volvo's at all. We keep seeing posts here that do that with all kinds of features when the new Volvo usually uses entirely different hardware and software...

For me, I haven't noticed entry taking "a few seconds" -- it's fast enough that I just grab the door and open with no delay usually. Locking takes a couple seconds, but consistently works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts