SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a surveillance cam in my garage that records on motion/light. From 4:50 pm yesterday to 6:35 am this morning my 2015.5 XC60 tail lights flashed about five times. The same flash as when you lock the car from the key fob. Sometimes 30 mins apart, sometimes several hours apart. Just checked and the doors were locked. I always leave them unlocked in the garage. Both keys are hanging on the hook so buttons not pressed by accident. Seems the lock command is coming in occasionally one way or another. I do not subscribe to the Volvo remote app service.

Any ideas? One of the key fobs started acting up several months ago. Like I had to press lock button several times or lock and unlock seemed to be reversed. Changing the battery didn't help. But the proximity function still works to enable unlock when I grab the door handle etc. So I keep that one as a backup. I actually forgot to mention this when I got my 10k service at the dealer a week ago. Has anyone experienced faulty fobs that might be causing random lock commands? Never happened until last night.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm guessing the mother ship is nearing.

Try taking the batteries out of the fobs each night for about a week and record results. Then the next week leave them in and record results. This will confirm or deny the fobs as a suspect.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My guess is the lock button is sticking and causing the car to repeatedly lock itself. Try taking the battery out of the remote and see if it continues to happen.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a surveillance cam in my garage that records on motion/light. From 4:50 pm yesterday to 6:35 am this morning my 2015.5 XC60 tail lights flashed about five times. The same flash as when you lock the car from the key fob. Sometimes 30 mins apart, sometimes several hours apart. Just checked and the doors were locked. I always leave them unlocked in the garage. Both keys are hanging on the hook so buttons not pressed by accident. Seems the lock command is coming in occasionally one way or another. I do not subscribe to the Volvo remote app service.

Any ideas? One of the key fobs started acting up several months ago. Like I had to press lock button several times or lock and unlock seemed to be reversed. Changing the battery didn't help. But the proximity function still works to enable unlock when I grab the door handle etc. So I keep that one as a backup. I actually forgot to mention this when I got my 10k service at the dealer a week ago. Has anyone experienced faulty fobs that might be causing random lock commands? Never happened until last night.
Pull the keys apart and just check them.

Maybe something in the fob(s) are causing it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Do you live near others that may be using their fob? My wife's was started by someone's fob.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do you live near others that may be using their fob? My wife's was started by someone's fob.
Was it a one time occurrence, say in a parking lot, or is it a neighbor in which its repeatable? Details please!

That's crazy.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Was it a one time occurrence, say in a parking lot, or is it a neighbor in which its repeatable? Details please!

That's crazy.
Crazy is right! Thankfully it was a one time occurrence. She left her car in a lot that was surrounded by homes in the morning to go on a bus shopping trip. When she returned later that day she could tell her car had been running - gas gauge was lower, car was warm, etc.. I took it to the dealer the next day for them to check. After their checking, that was the only reason they could come up with to explain the situation. I have a post somewhere explaining this.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Got an Elf on the shelf in your house?
Maybe he's taking it for the trip back to the North Pole. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I followed some advice here and a trick from an old swedespeed thread for a different model. I took the battery out of the quirky key fob overnight. Per the old thread on resetting the fob, I had the ignition on when I removed the battery and ignition on again when I reinserted the battery next day. It's been three days and the key fob is functioning normally for the first time in months. And no ghost lock/unlock flashes in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I followed some advice here and a trick from an old swedespeed thread for a different model. I took the battery out of the quirky key fob overnight. Per the old thread on resetting the fob, I had the ignition on when I removed the battery and ignition on again when I reinserted the battery next day. It's been three days and the key fob is functioning normally for the first time in months. And no ghost lock/unlock flashes in the middle of the night.
Good news!

Thanks for he update.

Glad it is working.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, after posting this last night I hung the fob back in its usual spot in the utility room near the garage. The lock/unlock lights flashed four times overnight.... So not fixed. Manual control of the fob works better now but clearly some fault in the fob itself. At least I narrowed the source down to that fob. The other three fobs hang in the same spot (wife has an XC60) and no issue. Bad fob... but under warranty.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Tesla's often will get software upgrades in the middle of the night, and will be a different car in the morning. It's kinda like having a teenager in puberty. And I've heard a Tesla will often lock itself in the garage and play loud music.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts