SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Volvo decided that he needs some time alone, so he locked me out...

When my V70 was still in the hands of the previous owner, some burglers broke into car. I don't know what exactly happened, but the previous owner replaced the central locking system for the aftermarket unit after the burglary and the lock on the drivers door doesn't work anymore. You can not manually lock / unlock the car. The aftermarket central locking system is from Italian company Meta System and the key remote looks like that, so I suppose this is the aftermarket system installed in my V70.

So the only way to unlock the car is via remote control. But the remote (un)locking has stopped working. I have replaced the batteries in the remote but the car still doesn't unlock. The main battery in the car should be OK because the car was starting without any issue, even in the winter and I don't believe that main battery has lost so much power that suddenly can't unlock the doors after a couple of days without driving. I'm assuming that either remote transmitor itself is broken or the receiver in the car is broken. So I have a couple of questions.

1st: Any suggestions on how to get in the car? The only lock is on the drivers door and does not work. So I'm thinking about bending out a drivers door in the top corner and try to pull the locking pin upwards, will this work? Or maybe if I can just press on a door unlock button on the driver's door window switch? But I'm not sure if this will work due to a Volvo's dead lock system. After I lock the car with the remote, it locks again after 30s.

2nd: Once I get inside a car I need to fix the remote locking system because I can not lock / unlock the carmanually. I have a complete donor car which is the same year with a genuine Volvo remote locking system. Can I just swap the remote on the keyfob and the remote receiver unit inside a car and will this work? Or do I need to go to the dealer for additional re-programming.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Air jack the top rear corner of the passenger door and hit the unlock button with a rod.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Any car that won’t lock or unlock manually is going to be a problem sooner or later.
I know that may seem like going backwards in your case, but the first thing that I’d
suggest is fixing the latch or broken linkage that is preventing you from getting into
your car with a simple key. Day 1, Top Priority. No matter whatelse you decide to do
with the keyless issue, this is a Must Do.

My next step would be to rip out the cheap aftermarket keyless system, pick up a new
9166200 OEM Volvo fob and run the keyless back to stock. Should bring the factory
alarm back to life, too. Unless the PO did a major number on the system...

It’ll cost a couple bucks to get the remote programmed to the car, but if you want to
make the car easier to maintain and diagnose in the future, going stock is a good thing.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

this

aftermarket lock system is a disaster that already happened. don't let it happen again

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ordered the air wedge pump to open up top rear corner of the drivers / passenger doors. Will try to unlock the car with the unlock button. Thanks @ScottishBrick!

@BEJinFbk I totally agree with you, but up until this point I didn't put to much attention to this issue. I will definitely go stock ASAP when I manage to open up the car. Top priority is to get the lock on drivers door working and then go back to stock with the central locking system.

1st I will try to swap remote key fob + receiver inside the car from the donor car, which has original Volvo system, to see if this works. If not I will visit a dealer. Does anybody knows where is this central locking receiver located inside the car? VIDA shows it somewhere under the dash but not exactly where.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just wondering if the V70 has ever locked anyone out, with the key inside, when the car is running (or not)?
Had this happen to me once on my Subaru, but never with the V70.
Still, I always open the window, just to be safe whenever I step out.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I don't worry about it at all with the 850s because they are set up so you really have to be trying to lock yourself out. Never seen it happen with a V70 but I worry about it especially with the P2s since those electronics seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
The drivers door lock cylinder is only connected to a spade ended rod that goes into a switch in the latch/lock assembly. You can use any 850 or x70 key and drivers door handle/lock to get manual unlocking back. Personally I'd recommend a -98 key so you have a very obvious ignition key and door key and the immobilizer doesn't get miffed having two chip keys on the key chain.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hey I actually recently made a video of how to fix your problem with the key in the drivers door! Give it a watch. Chances are when they installed the aftermarket system and put it back together they messed up this step and the rod isn't in place. I have an endoscope cam to show you what it's like from within the door.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Avboden: Thanks for the video! This might be my problem. The lock is turning left and right but just doesn't do anything. Will look into this as soon as I open up my car.

I have ordered this kit, to open up the car with as little damage as possible. Should be in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
That's pretty slick. I can think of lots of applications where that would have been handy. Fingers crossed it works well for you!
@Avboden: Thanks for the video! This might be my problem. The lock is turning left and right but just doesn't do anything. Will look into this as soon as I open up my car.

I have ordered this kit, to open up the car with as little damage as possible. Should be in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manage to open my V70!

Didn't even use the Pump wedge, because I tested everything on my parts V70 before. When the deadlock is on, you can not unlock the car on the door's control button. It just doesn't do anything. Even if you put key in position 2 and the dasboard lights up, it still doesn't unlock the car. The only way is, key in possition 2, OBD + DICE + VIDA -> unlock the car via computer. But for that I would need to break a window.

So I did a bit research on how to charge the battery on the locked car. I didn't know if the battery was the actual cause, but since the car was sitting for almost 3 week I thought it was dead anyway. So I jacked up the car, put the + cable on starter, - cable on chassic and hook it up to another 12V battery. Then the car unlocked!

Today I also fixed the manual unlocking. It was exactly what @Avboden said. I pulled the door pannel and in 15 min I was able to lock and unlock the car with a key. Victory!

The only thing left to solve is aftermarket central unlocking system. I've already found it bellow the dashboard but there is a ton of aftermarket wires. I need to compare it to the parts V70 original system and see if I can transfer the original system over from the parts car.

·
Registered
161 Posts

This item seems like a must-have. Found it on Amazon already. Will order very soon.

Funny.. On my first car, (which was a 1986 Volkswagen Jetta Deluxe. Good looking car, I liked it) you actually could not close the driver door in the Lock position. You had to be INside the car, and push the lock down. It would either bounce off the door if the lock was selected, or it would not push down. I forget which. I remember figuring out.. You would have to open the back door, lock it, throw the keys in.. Do a whole song and dance to achieve the feat of locking the key in the car. Trunk was the same, depending on which way the lock was turned, it had a push opener.

I locked my keys in my Chevrolet just last month with the engine running and all I can say is, AAA came and used the tool pictured. That same blue one. Then they take the rod, and push the Unlock button, which if you are lucky is mounted flat, and not on the door up and down, rather right to left. I usually leave a door open just a little bit, or a window down, since it seems not every car is smart enough to know that it is running, and that locking the door might be locking the driver out.Unwelcome reminder of this last month, and I was late for work.

I don't believe I have ever had this happen on a Volvo. HAVE had the key stick enough to where it would not go into park, key stuck in ignition. But that is not the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts