SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on my 2005 V50, I left the angel eyes/halos turned on whilst at work for 9 hours. Came out to a dead battery. Of course, the emergency blade was not included with the set of keys provided by the non Volvo dealer I purchased the car from, and I haven't ever gotten around to ordering it.

My question is this...is there any way to get under the hood to get enough juice to the battery to unlock the doors so I can get a jump? I am working within the unfortunate confines of an airport parking structure, so I don't have the same work area that I normally would nor access to many tools.

The airport lockout personnel was unsuccessful in any attempt to unlock the car.

Does anyone have any ideas? I do plan to phone the dealer in the morning to see if they have a blank key they can cut for me, but I'm not expecting to be able to walk in and walk out with a key.

As always, thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
They couldn't pop the door? That's crazy. You don't have aaa I take it? Do you have glass coverage? You could just break the back passenger window and have them come out tomorrow to fix it..

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They couldn't pop the door? That's crazy. You don't have aaa I take it? Do you have glass coverage? You could just break the back passenger window and have them come out tomorrow to fix it..

I do have full glass coverage, but no AAA. Didn't even think about breaking the window.

And no, they weren't able to pop the door. He didn't have a slim jim, just the other thingy that pulls the lock up. He was able to pull it up, but it didn't engage anything. I called another locksmith who says the security system on our cars deadbolts the locks. (???) He didn't feel he could get in, so he didn't even come out.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't know about deadbolting the lock, but I know your car will probably scream at you for breaking its window but once you get power to the battery you can turn the alarm off.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Drape a towel over the window and hit it with something pointy like a screw driver. Hit towards the edge of the glass not the center. The edge is weaker.

And just to be clear... Lol

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
And just to be clear... Lol

Exactly what I was thinking. :) Can't use it on a keychain without it.

Yes, some versions of our cars do deadbolt...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
:D
They didn't stay in place very well on the early cars. If you ever get the blade there is an upgrade kit for the thing that retains it better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With some insane luck, my dealer has TWO blanks that they can cut today. Crossing my fingers that the key will turn once in the lock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just now go in. The dealer cut a key for me SAME DAY! Less than $20 and I was outta there. The jump start took a while with the battery as dead as it was.

Thanks, as always, for all the comraderie!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you figured it out! Now you are prepared for next time haha

Indeed. It's these little things that really make a difference. My next Volvo will either be brand new or certified used so I don't have to ever worry about substandard service.

·
Registered
57 Posts
:D
They didn't stay in place very well on the early cars. If you ever get the blade there is an upgrade kit for the thing that retains it better.
More info please... as is, I foresee a day where my key goes down a sewer grate!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts