SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick funny story...(funny to me at least)

Took my kids to the subdivision pool yesterday. the 3 life guards (16-17 year old boys) were all on break talking about cars. The one kid was all excited about picking up his new car friday. It was fast, but only a V6 so insurance wasnt going to be that bad.

By this point, I had to know. So I asked, "what are you getting"

He proudly says, "1999 B M W, M3, Convertable"

I feal bad now, but my imediate reactions was, "dont get that, get a car with style"..."only posers get BMW's, especially old, slow M3's"..."you are buying a name plate, not a drivers car"

he started to get pissed, but then one of the other lifeguards laughed and told him to listen, as I obviosly had taste in cars and he pointed to my R.

As usual, my wife walked away frustrated that someone else validated my car obesession.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Point R.
Frustrated wife, nill.

·
Registered
635 Posts
quick funny story...(funny to me at least)

Took my kids to the subdivision pool yesterday. the 3 life guards (16-17 year old boys) were all on break talking about cars. The one kid was all excited about picking up his new car friday. It was fast, but only a V6 so insurance wasnt going to be that bad.

By this point, I had to know. So I asked, "what are you getting"

He proudly says, "1999 B M W, M3, Convertable"

I feal bad now, but my imediate reactions was, "dont get that, get a car with style"..."only posers get BMW's, especially old, slow M3's"..."you are buying a name plate, not a drivers car"

he started to get pissed, but then one of the other lifeguards laughed and told him to listen, as I obviosly had taste in cars and he pointed to my R.

As usual, my wife walked away frustrated that someone else validated my car obesession.
As much as I hate to chime in here......the M3 is an L6, not a V6 :). The E36 M3 would easily run circles around our R's, stock for stock. The only way the R has a fighting chance is if that M3 is an automatic, it's wet, and because it's a heavier convertible. Ignore my username for the time being, because the E36 M3 is just about the worst looking abomination of a BMW of any of them. I am not a fan of it, however the performance of them doesn't lie. The R is easily a better overall daily driver, but to most it's still just a Volvo. I constantly get flack from people because I drive a brick. They can't understand why I didn't buy another BMW or at least a Mercedes or something. Who cares though, I like it. I went through the same thing when I had my E34 525i automatic wagon with 300k miles. "Nice wagon family truckster, Clark Griswold." I didn't care, it was a great looking car and I enjoyed the hell out of it. My point is, let the kid have his cake. Also, insurance is NOT cheaper because the M3 is a 6cyl...my '98 540i 6spd was $350 less per year than the '95 M3 coupe I priced out. Oddly enough, the 2004 S60R is $20 a year cheaper than the 540i too!

Great, now I am the douchebag BMW fan who has ventured out to Volvo and corrupted your forums. Sorry :)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Point, Set and Match! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I hate to chime in here......the M3 is an L6, not a V6 :). [/img]
I know little to nothing about BMW. But I do recall the 6cyl M3's to be grenades jus waiting for the pins to be pulled. And i thought the late 90's versions were only like 240 hp. Didnt get the power bump untill 2001 E46.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=261

But my point was, EVERYONE knows what an M3 is / was, and the 90's e36 version in particular was more a name plate than the technical marvel the current M3 is.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
What's wrong with those? They were built on a Mondeo platform which wasn't bad at all. They're a great option for that class of car.
Well, Everything.... I hated that car more than anything.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I know little to nothing about BMW. But I do recall the 6cyl M3's to be grenades jus waiting for the pins to be pulled. And i thought the late 90's versions were only like 240 hp. Didnt get the power bump untill 2001 E46.

But my point was, EVERYONE knows what an M3 is / was, and the 90's e36 version in particular was more a name plate than the technical marvel the current M3 is.
Uhhh the S50/S52 in those is for the most part bulletproof. It's just a slightly tweaked version of the M50 that was in all the 325i and 525i's. The cooling systems were pretty weak with a 60k time bomb, and then the motors hated to overheat thus destroying head gaskets. What car takes overheating well though? Keep up with the recommended maintenance and they will last forever. The Euro '94-99 M3 had the proper Euro S50/S52 with the individual throttle bodies, 321hp, and the first gen sequential gearbox. The US only got the anemic 240hp version due to emissions and whatnot. Take a gander at that 525i wagon above. That's a '93 M50 automatic (original, no rebuild) and it had 302k on it when i sold it. It had one head gasket changed by choice at around 250k, it did not fail. BMW's are quite reliable if kept up with, or they can be gigantic pieces of crap....just like Volvo or any other car. :)

I do agree with you, the E36 M3 was mainly a nameplate, but that didn't stop it from being labeled as the best handling car in America. What I gather from that advert is

"Hey, we know it looks like ****...but we had to make it do something well. Compensation is the name of the game here."

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts

all of the m/s50/52 engines are extremely far from "being a grenade jus waiting for the pins to be pulled" A stock m52 will handle more power then our caRs. e36 m3 is far from fast in a straight line but it is pretty much the definition of a "drivers car"

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like i said

I know little to nothing about BMW.
I was an Audi man before the Volvo. hence my cooment for the kid to not be a poser.

Leave it to the internets to take a funny off handed topic, and beat it to death with ineternet bravado

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

On a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside....

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Uhhh the S50/S52 in those is for the most part bulletproof. It's just a slightly tweaked version of the M50 that was in all the 325i and 525i's. The cooling systems were pretty weak with a 60k time bomb, and then the motors hated to overheat thus destroying head gaskets. What car takes overheating well though? Keep up with the recommended maintenance and they will last forever. The Euro '94-99 M3 had the proper Euro S50/S52 with the individual throttle bodies, 321hp, and the first gen sequential gearbox. The US only got the anemic 240hp version due to emissions and whatnot. Take a gander at that 525i wagon above. That's a '93 M50 automatic (original, no rebuild) and it had 302k on it when i sold it. It had one head gasket changed by choice at around 250k, it did not fail. BMW's are quite reliable if kept up with, or they can be gigantic pieces of crap....just like Volvo or any other car. :)

I do agree with you, the E36 M3 was mainly a nameplate, but that didn't stop it from being labeled as the best handling car in America. What I gather from that advert is

"Hey, we know it looks like ****...but we had to make it do something well. Compensation is the name of the game here."

That's an awesome pic. What is that last car though? It honestly almost looks like a V70R. Any ideas?

EDIT: NVM, I'm crazy. It's a like a Supra or something.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
supra

1 - 20 of 140 Posts