SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,new member here about to become a first time Volvo owner after.My lease on my wifes Mercedes c300 is up shortly and we decided to purchase an SUV.We naturally looked at the GLE since we both drive Mercedes now(im in an E 350),but thought the XC90 blew it away,especially in handling and interior design.We are trying to decide on getting a Momentum with some of the tech options,or going with the base Inscription to get the ventilated countour seats and natural wood inlays.Along with some of the other nice little touches that come with the Inscription.Would you give up a few of the bells and whistles for an interior that you really enjoy every minute you are in the car?Our budget is 56k.Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
We really liked the Momentum demo we drove with the plus package but ended up getting a Loaded up Inscription. We were in the same boat as you are but couldn't find one for sale and decided to get the Inscription. They're both fantastic cars but you can build a sharp Inscription for about 61K, the interior is really second to none!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I'd really get the convenience pkg. But Inscription plus any pkg will exceed your budget. It is your car so just enjoy in your way. Maybe you can find a deal and get some discount to offset the cost of a pkg.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
We were looking at both and were leaning towards an Inscription but ended up going with the Momentum Plus (no Inscriptions were available in the color combinations we liked). No regrets at all. I don't think you can lose either way.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We went M+ after long deliberation. Our fully loaded M+ was only $1500 less than fully loaded Inscription which in my mind was effectively no diff...what made us swing M+ was the option for the 20 rims not avail on Inscrip (looks sportier) and the contour seats, also not an option on Inscrip. My wife didn't care about the leather dash nor ventilated seats- She was fearful of spills and 'kid' stuff getting caught in the perforations and she would never use air conditioned seats to begin with. Only other diff were chrome accents and a more streamlined roof rail on inscrip...didn't sway us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the opinions! I just found out my company has a corporate discount of 6% off list plus 500.00 with Volvo.Ill have to run the numbers but that might get us into an Iscription with some options.I agree you cant go wrong either way but i just love that soft leather everywhere on the Inscription.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
We opted for the semi loaded Momentum Plus....(with the OSD program mine priced out under your budget)!

krav51... have you explored the Overseas Delivery Program???? Volvo is buying our round trip tickets (2) to take delivery in Gothenburg, Sweden, hotel for a night, free shipping back, insurance for 15 days, factory tour, lunch, custom ordering, airport/factory pickup, etc., etc. It's a heck of a deal.....

(There is a lot of information on the Overseas Delivery form of this website if you are interested..........)

·
Registered
73 Posts
The interior quality of the Inscription made it any easy choice for us. There is way too much paranoia on this forum about the Nappa leather and perforation. That being said, I would probably opt for momentum with a 56k budget, and Inscription at a 60k budget.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We were in the same boat in terms of budget and we came in at $57K for a Momentum with Plus pkg., Convenience pkg. (must have IMO), Vision pkg., Climate pkg., and yes the 20" rims are fantastic and I believe the lightest ones available on the XC90. My wife did not care for the extra luxury and the nappa leather was a bit of a concern since this was a family hauler. Whether nappa is durable or not, our goal was to get as many of the bells and whistles we could within our budget. Finally, I liked the black grill versus the silver one and the wheels as well and the dark birch wood. We did not have the option of doing overseas delivery since it was pushed way out into 2016 by the time we ordered.

To sum it up, we love or XC90. I can't tell you the last time we bought a car we really enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I drove an XC90 T6 with non-perforated seats for a couple of thousand miles ... and I own an XC90 T8 Inscription with the "agnes" perforated seats. To be honest, I can't say if I can tell that much between them ... both are extremely comfortable. I've never owned a vehicle with perforated seats - and I'm a bit skeptical about their benefit, we'll see how they'll hold up. (Luckily no kids or animals, most of the time just two of us.)

Not only do I like the natural wood inlays - I purchased the wood steering wheel that matches as well. This was an OSD car - not sure if the wood steering wheel is otherwise offered in the US market. While it is not heated I like the bit smaller diameter as well as the look. (I posted a few photos of my vehicle in another thread.)

I also have all the tech options (and enjoy them, too). I guess if I was budgeted limited I would probably drop an option and keep the interior improvements ... wonder if that approach would also help with any resale / trade value in the future?

As GregK noted - the OSD program is great ... I've purchased three Volvo's through it - great experience. In past years it provided a cost savings over local dealers' best pricing (not so much on the all new XC90 possibly due to demand, etc.) - and there are typically options that you can choose that you can't order regularly through your local Volvo retailer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We opted for the semi loaded Momentum Plus....(with the OSD program mine priced out under your budget)!

krav51... have you explored the Overseas Delivery Program???? Volvo is buying our round trip tickets (2) to take delivery in Gothenburg, Sweden, hotel for a night, free shipping back, insurance for 15 days, factory tour, lunch, custom ordering, airport/factory pickup, etc., etc. It's a heck of a deal.....

(There is a lot of information on the Overseas Delivery form of this website if you are interested..........)
Definitely I agree with GregK. You can save potentially 3-4k if you include the price difference and everything above.

FYI: the 15-day insurance is not free. In your order confirmation, you can see there is a $50 charge for that.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Definitely I agree with GregK. You can save potentially 3-4k if you include the price difference and everything above.

FYI: the 15-day insurance is not free. In your order confirmation, you can see there is a $50 charge for that.
Actually, the $50.00 I was told was a road tax mandated by the City of Gothenburg.....if you don't plan to drive the vehicle you can opt out of that expense, but you don't get the cool license plates!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Krav,
Not that you'd regret a base Inscription, but I can all but guarantee that you would enjoy the ownership experience of a Momentum Plus with Convenience and Vision and the 20" upgraded wheels (even though the rims tip the cost to $57k). The benefits of that build, in my honest opinion, far exceed the ventilated seats in the Inscription as cool as they are (no pun intended).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Given your budget, a loaded Momentum+ seems like the logical choice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello all,new member here about to become a first time Volvo owner after.My lease on my wifes Mercedes c300 is up shortly and we decided to purchase an SUV.We naturally looked at the GLE since we both drive Mercedes now(im in an E 350),but thought the XC90 blew it away,especially in handling and interior design.We are trying to decide on getting a Momentum with some of the tech options,or going with the base Inscription to get the ventilated countour seats and natural wood inlays.Along with some of the other nice little touches that come with the Inscription.Would you give up a few of the bells and whistles for an interior that you really enjoy every minute you are in the car?Our budget is 56k.Thanks
Sat in both and couldn't decide. The Momentum+ loaded was a better value of course but I couldn't get over the quality of the difference and look of the Dark Flame Birch Inlay vs the Linear Walnut along with the Preforated Nappa Leather. So I bought both my wife and my best friend with me during one of the visits. Before mentioning the different trims....both didn't hesitate and said the Inscription...mostly due to the leather.

My advice, make sure your wife sits in both...but if you want to save money and it's your wife's car....maybe your better off not showing her an Inscription....

·
Registered
559 Posts
If your budget is a hard budget, I'd probably suggest going Momentum+ and loading up with packages. Convenience at a minimum, and probably Vision or Climate depending on where you're located and what the weather is like there.

I originally ordered a fully-loaded Momentum+, but the day I placed the order, the dealer had both an Inscription and a Momentum+ in the showroom and I alternately sat in both.

The Mom+ leather seats I could live with, but the look and feel of the dash, the doors, the stitching, the walnut, etc. in the Inscription just got into my head and kept gnawing at me. 2 weeks later, I called the dealer and upgraded my order to the Inscription model.

Yes, I went over my initial budget significantly. But I think I would have regretted it if I hadn't paid for the upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about the Mom+ model (particularly the exterior). I prefer the black grille vs. the chrome that the Inscription has, the color-matched side sills of the momentum vs. the chrome accents on the Inscription, the 20" matte black wheels are great looking (though I really love the look of the Inscription 21s).

But the interior of the Inscription makes this feel like a car worth much more than you paid for it (think highly-spec'ed Range Rovers or Benzes, well above the entry-level luxury available elsewhere at this price point).

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your budget only allows you to get a base Inscription, then go with a loaded M+ is more reasonable. Both Convenience and Vision package have very good features, and the B&W Sound package is also quite unique.

However, if you could afford a little bit more, the price difference could be less than you thought:
$5600 price difference
-$1900 M+ package
-$750 wheel
-$200 rear curtain
-approx $1000 better seat, ventilated, with more adjustments
That is only $1750 difference upfront on paper. Then after 5 years the Inscription trim could sell for $1700 more considering a 30% residual value. So basically you are enjoying the additional WoW look for free.

So in the end what you actually pay extra is only about $2000 for bigger wheels and better seat (I double anyone would drop the M+ pkg). So if you need any one of these, go for the Inscription trim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the informative replies.Gonna head to the dealers again tomorrow and spend some more time sitting in both.Also need to see what the cost will be for each with my 6% off list corporate discount

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for all the informative replies.Gonna head to the dealers again tomorrow and spend some more time sitting in both.Also need to see what the cost will be for each with my 6% off list corporate discount
Nice discount....have fun with the buying decision. Either way you will certainly be pleased........

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would not buy a XC90 without convenience. The ACC is a wonderful addition and makes the driving experience that much better.

Think of it not only as a convenience, but also a safety feature. I'll tap it on while driving down a city street if I'm going to change radio stations or need to check my phone quickly. It's peace of mind that I wouldn't want to live without.

It easily outranks Vision or Climate (unless you live somewhere super cold) in my book.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts