SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Volvo load carrier and am about the install it. I also ordered a soft carrier that is about 44" long.

Question: Should I space the cross rails 44"+ so that the bag lies completely on the roof top rather than partially over the rails?

Plans: When I have more time before a trip, I probably will get a hard shell carrier that has specific spacing requirements.

Admission: After 55 years of driving, this is the first roof rack I have owned.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ironic because I just did the same thing. I have the luggage bars and a new soft sided cargo bag. I placed a thin piece of plywood in the bottom of the bag and place it on the luggage bars. They are spaced about 25 inches apart. Just drove 700 miles with this.

·
Registered
582 Posts
yes And almost as wide. That way it sits up on the luggage bars and not on the roof.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Edit: I decided to go with a plywood base (as russ 399 suggested) and soft-sided bag. I was going to go for a hard shell, but it is both expensive for infrequent use and we don't really have sufficient storage space. Now, I am deciding between a Rightline 18 cubic foot bag and a Thule 13 cubic foot bag. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts