SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions out there on the OEM (Rhino Vortex) load bars vs the Thule Aeroblades? I've found a few threads that talk a lot about aesthetics. Frankly both options look good to me, more interested in wind noise level with them on.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car came fitted with the profile OEM Volvo bars, and other than having to straighten them out due to the dealer putting them o an angle, I have had no issues from noise or anything else. I also think they make the car look better. I notice a lot of cars with non OEM roof racks, and they often (but not always) look like they have the proportions of the bar size or plastic cover connecting the rack to the roof out of whack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the direct comparison you're looking for, but it may help.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?258241-Just-Instaled-Cross-Bars&highlight=cross+bar

Has Volvo updated the XC60 OEM profile bars from Thule to Rhino-Rack? I just purchased a set of the OEM "Aluminum Profile" bars (used) and they look more trapezoidal to me. I'll try and run them a few days before putting the ski racks on and tell you what I think.
The rectangular ones could be Rhino or Thule, frankly its nearly impossible to tell them apart even up REALLY close. The newer areo style bars are definitely Rhnio rack. From the looks of the bike and ski racks, they probably are too but I haven't been close enough to them to confirm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car came fitted with the profile OEM Volvo bars, and other than having to straighten them out due to the dealer putting them o an angle, I have had no issues from noise or anything else. I also think they make the car look better. I notice a lot of cars with non OEM roof racks, and they often (but not always) look like they have the proportions of the bar size or plastic cover connecting the rack to the roof out of whack.
Awesome - thank you for the input. Went with the OEM Aero Volvo (Rhino) bars. I'll post some pictures later today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Karmabiker, have you had a chance to take pics?
These are the only OEM bars I am aware of, but they don't sound like what you have. They're not exactly "Aero" bars. If there's another profile out there for the XC60 I may have to keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got some pics, just need to figure out where I want to host them... Direct upload via the iphone isnt getting there for me. Suggestions? ... and those are the "aero" aka Vortex bars, I have the exact same thing. The other Volvo bars are the square old school thule style. Overall I'm happy with the level (lack) of wind noise considering the size of the ski racks I have bolted on. They did whistle like crazy until I got the little plastic vortex generator (black strip) reinstalled.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got some pics, just need to figure out where I want to host them... Direct upload via the iphone isnt getting there for me. Suggestions?
I use postimg.org because I'm to lazy to sign up for another service. It's pretty bare-bones, and there aren't many controls on the pictures so I'm sure to clear important metadata and redact license plate numbers. The moderators recommend these:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?9296-Swedespeed.com-Forum-FAQ&postid=#11

... and those are the "aero" aka Vortex bars, I have the exact same thing. The other Volvo bars are the square old school thule style. Overall I'm happy with the level (lack) of wind noise considering the size of the ski racks I have bolted on. They did whistle like crazy until I got the little plastic vortex generator (black strip) reinstalled.
Thanks for clarifying. I was confused because it looks like Volvo has airfoil profiles available the new XC70's and XC90's. I thought they had come out for the XC60 and I missed my chance to get them.
Good to hear about road noise, I haven't had a chance to drive since I installed them. I want to find more rubber strips and do a better job closing mine up.
Oh, and how are you liking your XC60? You got a 2012 R-design, right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get the rubber strips from rhino rack... $5 iirc.

Loving the xc60. Mine isn't the r design, to 20 inch wheels and low profile tires don't do well with some of the the places I go. I did add the polestar tune.... :) ..... Runs like a scalded dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts