SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a few cars that have some sort of IPD logo or flag or something next to their R badge, look on ebay and IPD's site without success. Anyone know what it is and where I can get one?

-Carlo

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I believe the company that made them went under. Someone can correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
There was a member of the SS forum who started a company and he made them along with several other parts. He is in the process of closing up shop.
I don't think you will have much success finding one anymore. JRL had 1 available back sometime ago. You might ping him to see if he still does.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
That's not the Takspeed Emblem. The Takspeed emblem was a painted addon piece to the existing R emblem.
The emblem you are all looking at is the YouBadges.com rendition. And it's still available. Just to be OCD, this R is a bit off as the slant is a bit too exaggerated and the front leg of the R is extended a bit too far.

http://www.yourbadges.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=148

And here's the stock one for comparison..

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have looked for these for so long...and have started a few threads on them in this forum and the classifieds...JRL said he had one and never came through. Volvoracer (Adam) had two of the 1/8 inch ones..for the trunk..the ones that go on the grill are 1/4 inch..I bought his better one for $30 the other week...he still has one left..but it was retrofitted on his mesh grill and has some marks from being on the front of car...still looks good though..

Just so you guys know..I'm going to try to make these in my shop..and have my girlfriend paint them..soo ill post a picture when I make one..

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Alright, let's see a picture of the GF before any commitment. :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Is that a parking assist camera in front of your FMIC?
Is it wrapped in duct tape or something?
Its a camera. The cable is normally hidden, in this particular picture I was doing some work and moved the cable but its usually hidden in the upper part of the bumper and secured; No duct tape but the off colored areas of my black camera is pitting from rocks hitting it yet the glass (must be bulletproof haha or sapphire crystal.) is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
I have looked for these for so long...and have started a few threads on them in this forum and the classifieds...JRL said he had one and never came through. Volvoracer (Adam) had two of the 1/8 inch ones..for the trunk..the ones that go on the grill are 1/4 inch..I bought his better one for $30 the other week...he still has one left..but it was retrofitted on his mesh grill and has some marks from being on the front of car...still looks good though..

Just so you guys know..I'm going to try to make these in my shop..and have my girlfriend paint them..soo ill post a picture when I make one..
Careful!!! I wouldn't promote it, nor should you copy the Takspeed design. SS has a thing about copyrights and advertising business/sales (even if you are not an actual business). I had an ideal to create an emblem addon like Takspeed did, and it was similar but I got instantly banned of the idea here on SS.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Careful!!! I wouldn't promote it, nor should you copy the Takspeed design. SS has a thing about copyrights and advertising business/sales (even if you are not an actual business). I had an ideal to create an emblem addon like Takspeed did, and it was similar but I got instantly banned of the idea here on SS.
+1!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ive seen a few cars that have some sort of IPD logo or flag or something next to their R badge, look on ebay and IPD's site without success. Anyone know what it is and where I can get one?
The Takspeed badges are actually the Swedish racing symbol.

Sonic, I would contact VizWiz (by PM) and see if you can work something out to continue production of the badges. I bought both front and back in 2006. I still have the back one, but the front one went into outer space when I made a high speed run to 168 mph at the Longview, TX airport. (fun, fun)

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

Sonic, I would contact VizWiz (by PM) and see if you can work something out to continue production of the badges. I bought both front and back in 2006. I still have the back one, but the front one went into outer space when I made a high speed run to 168 mph at the Longview, TX airport. (fun, fun)

Hope it works out.
Damn our cars can actually go 168??

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
It definitely uses the Swedish colors and it definitely says "motorsport", based on the checkered flag. But I don't think it's a "Swedish racing" symbol.. The checkered flag logo/motif is used by Takspeed throughout their site. How this takspeed emblem came to be is something along these lines.....

so I'm putting 1 + 1 + 1 altogether...

I believe the motorsport badge idea is based on the Volvo 850 T5 R Motorsport emblem; or deeply inspired from...

A few Volvo enthusiasts took the Motorsport badge (or buy it separately) and placed it beside the "R" emblem and thought it looked good.

Where the enthusiasts got the idea was actually from the Germans; specifically the Audi Motorsport S4 badge

This is likely where Takspeed got their idea.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Two things. One. If he changes the design just a little bit as the R is modified by the British company or adds another set of yellow squares he isn't in violation of any copyright.

Two. It's not swedespeed's responsibility to enforce copyright laws, it's the company that has to enforce its own copyright or lose those copyrights.

I wonder if the R is a public domain image. If so the R emblem automatically voids any copyright attached to it and places it in public domain also. If it is not, well I don't see takspeed giving any credit to
Volvo or the design company that created the R. Therefore itself violating copyrights.

Sent from the seat of my pants

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Two things. One. If he changes the design just a little bit as the R is modified by the British company or adds another set of yellow squares he isn't in violation of any copyright.

Two. It's not swedespeed's responsibility to enforce copyright laws, it's the company that has to enforce its own copyright or lose those copyrights.

I wonder if the R is a public domain image. If so the R emblem automatically voids any copyright attached to it and places it in public domain also. If it is not, well I don't see takspeed giving any credit to
Volvo or the design company that created the R. Therefore itself violating copyrights.

Sent from the seat of my pants
Castro, I agree with you with all the points you made. And believe me, I thought I was pretty careful (I deal with with logos, graphics, rights to these assets professionally and I thought I was in a grey area). And my design although had similar placement, used a much more common motif (Swedish Flag).

However, I was immediately notified; had the post removed and was PM'd by the people that own this site. So I'm speaking about what indeed happened, and not about how "legal" or "acceptable" or even the actual aspect of violating copyrights.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It definitely uses the Swedish colors and it definitely says "motorsport", based on the checkered flag. But I don't think it's a "Swedish racing" symbol.. The checkered flag logo/motif is used by Takspeed throughout their site. How this takspeed emblem came to be is something along these lines.....

This is likely where Takspeed got their idea.
You are right. I was too lazy to get into the background. I should have said "inspired by the Swedish racing symbol.

Castro makes some good points as well. Change the design slightly, and there shouldn't be a problem, IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.