SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently let go of my 05 S60R 6 speed GTA cos of space issue and while luck has it I have found a 05 V70R (3 months older than my ex-S60R) with 17K miles only! While test driving I found some differences on the V70R. 1. First 2 gears seem hesitant to shift up and gear stop at 5. Opening the hood, found some difference in hose plumbing and material used as compared to the S60R. It will be good suggestion to start a list or table showing all differences on the R in 2004, 2005, 2006.......

BTW- Any concern on the 5 speed GTA vs the 6 speed?
Thanks in advance for the advise.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
This has already been posted for long time. 04-05 Gt tansmissions have torque limiting in first two gears.

Thread that has all differences through the years is,

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?104591

but it doesnt work after the forum software change, if someone can fix it, all the info is in there

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have recently let go of my 05 S60R 6 speed GTA cos of space issue and while luck has it I have found a 05 V70R (3 months older than my ex-S60R) with 17K miles only! While test driving I found some differences on the V70R. 1. First 2 gears seem hesitant to shift up and gear stop at 5. Opening the hood, found some difference in hose plumbing and material used as compared to the S60R. It will be good suggestion to start a list or table showing all differences on the R in 2004, 2005, 2006.......

BTW- Any concern on the 5 speed GTA vs the 6 speed?
Thanks in advance for the advise.
Whats a GTA......? been working on cars for a long time never heard of a 05 S60R GTA...
Any way i am assuming that GTA is the autotrans
You had a 05 SR..? and your buying a 05 VR.... are you shore that the car is a 05 that you owned or looking at..?
All 04-05 VR or SR have a aluminum Charge Air Pipe. the engine bays is almost the same...
06-07 SR VR have a plastic Charge Air Pipe. and they have a different fuse box then the 04/05-and IIRC the 04 and the 05 has a different fuse box also
04 body trim is not colored matched to the rest of the car
in 05 the color matched the body trim to the body. they also changed a few colors like the silver and the flash green(i think), and there may be a few more , both look better in 05 if you ask me
In 06 the discontinued the flash green and made Sonic blue- kinda a bad ass color due to rareaty
theres a lot more but oo well

·
Registered
194 Posts
Flash Green Metallic FTW

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
'04-05 Aluminum OTE Pipe
'06-07 Plastic OTE Pipe

'04-05 Standard (15 degree slip) Haldex
'06-07 Pre-charged (0 degree slip) Haldex

'04 Stiffer Advanced 4C setting

'04-05 Torque limited 1st & 2nd gear GT
'06-07 Unlimited GT

'06-07 Updated Taillight design

'04 Large A/C Dryer
'05-07 Small A/C Dryer

'04 Round engine stabilizer mount
'05-07 square engine stabilizer mount

'04 Deeper bolstered front seats
'04 Textured plastic body trim
'05-07 Body matched trim, updated non-bodykit style

'06-'07 No more Flash Green, Sonic Blue Added

That's all I can think of for now...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
'05 added brushed metal trim to the center console (around audio and climate controls)

'05 added garage door style lid the cup holder and trimmed in brushed metal.

'05 added vent-like insert to the lower rear fascia; top of bumper not entirely black plastic, only area just below the tailgate (protects against damage when loading/unloading cargo.

'05 lost the pen holder on center console

'05 changed radio appearance - was HU803, updated to HU-850

'05 Volvo logo on tailgate moved from lower left to center above license plate; "V70" moved from right side to left side of tailgate.

GTA means Geartronic Automatic

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Just for sake of completeness (maybe this can be used in some kind of new model change reference thread--or even update the old one?):

'07 Got silver plastic trim pieces on the vents and steering wheel controls
'07 turn signal indicators on side mirrors
'07 Compass built into rear-view mirror
'07 is it just me, or does it seem like the green turn signal arrows in the instrument cluster on the '07 are more of a yellow green than a "green-green" like in the earlier models?
'07 has LED's in the side of rear tailights (a very cool little touch), if I recall correctly
'07 New style center caps on rims

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
'04 Stiffer Advanced 4C setting
if 4c hasn't been upgraded with new software

'04 Round engine stabilizer mount
'05-07 square engine stabilizer mount
'05 also had the round engine stabilzer mount. though at some point the square was introduced and some had it replaced.

'06-07 had plastic cover on haldex protecting some inernal electronics vs. metal on '04-05

'05-07 iirc there was a plastic piece in sunroof that helped deflect air a bit when opened.

'07 some had aux input jack under center armrest.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
lol just for completeness.

'07 Removed Fender Side markers since replaced with Side Mirror Markers.

'05 Front Fog Grilles were cut out and had actual holes. Earlier models did not.

'05 Center Console SpaceBall Manual Transmission was updated and came with a flatter less "round" design.

'05 Rear bumper was updated to a more squarish design. New bumper is a 2 piece design with detachable lower valance; R sport skirt or the non-Sport R Skirt.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
lol just for completeness.

'07 Removed Fender Side markers since replaced with Side Mirror Markers.
and meant the loss of the puddle lights.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
'06-07 had plastic cover on haldex protecting some inernal electronics vs. metal on '04-05
Only the 2007s are plastic haldex housings. 2006 is still metal like earlier years. I should know :D

'05 Front Fog Grilles were cut out and had actual holes. Earlier models did not.
There really is no rule for this. Some 04s had them cut out "Euro style" and some 06s still had them closed off. My 06 came with them open but the other 06 on the lot when I bought it had them closed.
It's a total crap shoot. Not consistent from the factory.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, I have an 06 and it has closed fog light grills.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Only the 2007s are plastic haldex housings. 2006 is still metal like earlier years. I should know :D

There really is no rule for this. Some 04s had them cut out "Euro style" and some 06s still had them closed off. My 06 came with them open but the other 06 on the lot when I bought it had them closed.
It's a total crap shoot. Not consistent from the factory.
Not to be contrary, I was told my a VCNA rep that the final location of the vehicle dictated the "Euro style" or not. Open/"Euro" style were supposed to go to the "warmer" climates where a transmission cooler would be needed. For instance, those cars that were shipped to the middle east (Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey) or Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico received the euro style and the transmission cooler standard. Places like seattle, portland and los angeles didn't.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Not to be contrary, I was told my a VCNA rep that the final location of the vehicle dictated the "Euro style" or not. Open/"Euro" style were supposed to go to the "warmer" climates where a transmission cooler would be needed. For instance, those cars that were shipped to the middle east (Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey) or Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico received the euro style and the transmission cooler standard. Places like seattle, portland and los angeles didn't.
That doesn't jive with my R. It was an OSD lease to Michigan originally, and came with the open grills. I bought it after the one year lease was up, in MN.
Also, the transmission cooler is only for GTs, so by VCNA's logic, NO MTs should have gotten the open grills.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
'05-07 iirc there was a plastic piece in sunroof that helped deflect air a bit when opened.
I realize this is a zombie topic, but I found it through the stickies and I wanted to point out that my '04 has the plastic wind deflector that pops up with the sunroof open. Has mine been changed, or is it something they had in the 04 model year as well?

Thanks for this, btw, helps me figure out year to year at a glance. I can still tell you what year most 240s are at a glance, but figuring out the S60's and V70s has been a real challenge to me.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Pop up deflector was a 04 mid year running change
Can be retrofitted to any 01-04

1 - 17 of 17 Posts