SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I had an intermittent problem with the steering angle sensor causing DSTC disabled, and also an intermittent problem where, on the first trip of the day, the throttle would go "dead". It was as if the (non-existent) throttle cable would only open the throttle about 1/4 of the way at full throttle. The transmission would shift like it should at full throttle, but the engine would only develop a small percentage of full power. Zero to shift at full throttle in first gear could take 20-30 seconds.

Anyhow, that problem went away when I replaced the steering angle sensor about 2 years ago. Until yesterday... So far, no sign of a problem with DSTC.

Maybe I should just replace the steering angle sensor again? :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
As limp-mode can have 1000+ reasons, first would be to read the error codes. :) Either at your :) or @home with a dice from ebay or if you can find a user near you with Vida and a dice.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Think the throttle body going into limp mode when it does what it does, probably need to get the car read and see why it's doing this.

"If there is a fault in the engine control module (ECM) so that the throttle unit cannot be operated or powered, the springs in the throttle unit will turn the throttle disc to the limp home position (return position). This return position gives a throttle angle large enough to allow the car to be driven to a workshop, although with considerably reduced drivability. "

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only faults I ever saw were for the steering angle sensor. (2 years ago). Recently there have been a few P0402 (IIRC) but they always set the check engine light, and it's off now.

Last time I tried to use Vida it rendered my computer inoperable...

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts
Have you had any other electrical issues recently? I ask because you say VIDA cannot connect with your XC90.

There could be wiring shorts, module or relay issues, or voltage issues. If you have to jump start the vehicle, it is possible this process could damage modules from voltage spikes. All of these reasons could contribute to a limp home mode.

I have worked on vehicles where the limp home mode was caused by a bad transmission electrical unit in the valve body, worn out insulation in the wiring for the electronic TB causing shorts, and bad modules possibly caused by jump starting. It takes more than bad sensors or sensor readings that are way off to trigger the limp home mode. However, there are some smaller instances where it might trigger, like if an emissions related issue is causing too much fuel to be dumped into the engine which can harm the catalytic converters. It will be much harder to diagnose without the ability to read codes.

Is this right, you able to read the codes with a generic OBD II scanner, but not with VIDA? How did the exhaust smell prior to this happening and how was you fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had any other electrical issues recently? I ask because you say VIDA cannot connect with your XC90.
I have an ongoing problem with battery discharge. No issues as long as I drive it frequently enough. I did not say VIDA cannot connect to the XC90, I said I had issues with the computer running VIDA.
How did the exhaust smell prior to this happening and how was you fuel economy?
It only lasts for a minute or so. It's almost as if, by flooring it, it eventually "works through it". If it was a two-stroke, I'd say the plugs were fouling.

Have you tried to use the all new version from @roxanaschram using Windows10 in a virtual machine? Should work way better than the versions from ebay.
Yes. The PC shut down (crashed) unexpectedly and it damaged the boot sector on the hard drive, among other things. I don't know that it was the direct fault of the VIDA software. but I'm reluctant to try it again.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,300 Posts
Ah, I misread. Hopefully, you can get a running VIDA to read the codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts