SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i recently bought a beautiful 1959 pv544 with single zenith carb...i rebuilt the original fuel pump and carb and got it running but when i rev the engine it only revs to a certain point and the engine starts to bog down and wont rev any higher...i changed the fuel filter and it helped a little but now i am out of ideas.....any help is welcomed..thanx

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
hello i recently bought a beautiful 1959 pv544 with single zenith carb...i rebuilt the original fuel pump and carb and got it running but when i rev the engine it only revs to a certain point and the engine starts to bog down and wont rev any higher...i changed the fuel filter and it helped a little but now i am out of ideas.....any help is welcomed..thanx
Welcome to Swedespeed.

Assuming this is a B16 here are some possible situations which could cause the engine to "bog down"...

Engine has been bored and displacement is too large for carb jets.
Ignition timing is off and/or timing advance/retard mechanisms are faulty and/or timing gear marks are not aligned.
Carb float out of adjustment and/or bowl is going dry at high rpms.
Fuel pump stroke too short.
Failing coil and/or condensor not correct application.
Contact points set at wrong gap.
Spark plugs not correct application.
Ignition dwell?
Valve adjustment?

"...a beautiful 1959 pv544..."

We would love to see some pics and a history on the car!

Post the chassis numbers and we will check here...

http://www.bearmanmotorsports.com/rstr1.html

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You should probably get one but you can check static timing by hooking a small 6v light bulb between the distributor or coil terminal and ground and check static timing. With the engine well before TDC, put car in 4th and roll it forward until the light just lights. Read timing mark at that point.
If you overshoot, back up and try it again. This will give you static initial timing but will NOT tell you if your ignition advance is working.
Don't try to run the car with the light hooked up. It won't run.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i was running the car and spraying carb cleaner to clean the carb and i went to rev the engine and as long as i was spraying the cleaner it was reving as high as i wanted..does this mean it is a fuel delivery problem?

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
so i was running the car and spraying carb cleaner to clean the carb and i went to rev the engine and as long as i was spraying the cleaner it was reving as high as i wanted..does this mean it is a fuel delivery problem?
So it would appear - also check for an air/vacuum leak in the intake system.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Have you looked in the float bowls? May be dirt in there.
Or the carbs may be set too lean.
Or your fuel pump might be on the way out.
Or your fuel filter plugged.
etc
etc
etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed it....every the carb was all clogged...i cleaned the whole thing and opened all openings...thank u guys for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts