SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I summer drive my 2012 C30 GT KPAX edition, and with only 30K miles on it last summer a “power system failure service urgent warning” led me to having the alternator removed and rebuilt. Once the alternator was re-installed a CEL showed up within a day or two of driving. First the P0497 code for evap emission system low purge flow. I reset the code and a few days later P0496 code for evap emission system high purge flow appeared, and continues to appear every few days after resetting codes.

Granted I wasn’t present for the removal and installation of the alternator it did appear that the air intake was one of the few parts removed to access and remove/install the alternator. Google searches for P0496 suggest to look for kinked or broken hoses, or check that the direction of associated evap purge valve hoses are attached to the correct location...or replace the evap canister purge valve. I’m just pulling the car out of storage this evening and should have a mechanic over in the next day or two to attempt a fix. I just wanted to gather some feedback/ideas here from owners that have solved or suffered this issue.

Much thanks to anyone that views this post/attempts to help!

·
Registered
16,831 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
you might need a new canister
if you took the air intake off recheck everything and make sure no hoses are in the wrong place or cracked
make sure your gas cap is on

you should drive the car a few days and see if it goes away after making sure the air intake looks ok

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys! I am ASSUMING the battery is good. It was left in car the last 6 months from storage and motor turned right over. Doesn’️t mean it isn’️t on its last legs I guess. I live in central Canada, Winnipeg Manitoba - I will ask one of the hardcore local enthusiasts if he knows someone with the scan tool/software, haven’️t heard of it before. I have cleared the codes myself a few times using the KPAX ecu tuner that clears all codes when switching between stock and “raceâ€Â� tune.

As for the actual canister purge valve it could definitely be the problem as well, I actually phoned up the Volvo parts at a local dealer last fall, and they did not stock them nor had they ever ordered one in, one of the only reasons I wasn’️t leaning towards it being a problem.

Upon removing from storage there was a giant rodent nest under the hood. Just my luck. I did get a professional engine shampoo done yesterday which looks to have removed the grime, build up , and stink!

Is there an easy way to post pics via mobile directly in posts? Would be happy to show a few pics of car/engine bay if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up installing the elevate intake yesterday afternoon and what a giant PITA getting that stock airbox out of the engine bay - just awful stuff! I was hoping there would be some hoses actually running off of the air intake that may have been disconnected and re-connected incorrectly. Turns out there are no hoses connected at all to the airbox and none of the hoses that are now fully visible with that airbox removed appear to be cracked or leaking. I do have a friend in the Volvo community that has the VIDA and DICE tools. Is my best course of measure to have him scan the car? I was able to clear existing CEL’s with my KPAX tuner so no codes are currently showing. I’m not sure if the software will run and pull pending codes? Any additional advice guys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fast forward a month and the issue still plagues
my vehicle. About 60 km of driving after clearing the code the CEL is back. An acquaintance with the DICE VIDA only had software up until 2011 vehicles ...so I’m just waiting for him to get the latest software install to re-scan.

Can someone on the forum possibly take a picture or video of the evap canister purge valve - and where it’s vacuum hoses connect? I’m having trouble locating it but don’t have a ton of Volvo repair experience. Hoping a picture will help me check it’s hoses are intact and routed correctly!

·
Registered
73 Posts
P0496 is a generic code. You need to get you car read with Vida. There are at least half a dozen specific Volvo codes that will pinpoint the exact issue.

FWIW Vida 2014 has the following service information "Removal and Installation: Information for this method will be produced at a later date." So that's not very useful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem looks to be solved!!!! I took it into a Volvo repair shop today and they of course got a very similar code to my generic scanner, but did confirm the purge valve was stuck in the open position. Upon popping the hood a nearby tech asked if the alternator was replaced, to which I replied yes, and he immediately grabbed for the hose directly above the alternator that connects to the intake manifold underside. He just pulled it straight off showing a large cut in the hose. This hose was replaced and I am hoping the CEL is now gone for good ** fingers crossed **

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m sure some people are getting sick of me posting. Totally gutted that CEL came back in this afternoon. With the code error at the shop reading that the purge valve is stuck in the open position- I think my next option would be to have the shop order one in and have them vacuum test the existing one before replacing it. I’ll keep everyone posted on progress and if I finally get the issue resolved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Latest update - New Volvo evap canister purge valve was installed last night and code ECM-420C was cleared from vehicle. CEL resurfaced today. I am of course extremely disappointed. I will likely try a Volvo dealership next and see what they say in regards to whether this issue is tied to emissions systems - in which case I would have warranty until next year.

Anyone have any additional thoughts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
well, you were supposed to have checked the vacuum lines and hoses
and you say the dealer found a huge cracked line?
the problem is you were in the engine bay doing other work are you 100% shurrr you got the vacuum lines in the right spots?
anyway, your next option is to do a smoke test

I dont know alot about volvo, but did you change the actual evap VALVE or just the canister box? not sure if it is one unit and if it has a connector is it getting power?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent some time researching Yesterday the different hoses and pieces tied to the Evap system. I also tried to find some pictures of the end connectors between from the evap purge valve to the bottom of the IM. I THINK I have this problem finally beat!

Here is my connection hose where it goes from the Evap canister purge valve side. Notice the white/grey thing which I assume is a one way valve -> pointing back towards the purge valve. This struck me as incorrect, with the canister bringing gases or fumes or whatever isn’t burnt back to the purge valve, wouldn’t the one way valve after the purge valve point towards the IM instead of BACK towards the purge valve?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWAz2ltDFk5FxhEZ0dgJIJkYa5Uj0QjC/view?usp=drivesdk

When a local shop found the broken hose end it was on the IM side, they didn’t investigate if the hose from the purge valve to the IM was a one-way hose. Here was my IM side hose connection.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w6f8UX5S5KSR1KHtc4KIX8roe3L6s3Jh/view?usp=drivesdk

I can also assume that the ghetto mechanic that did my alternator rebuild must have removed this hose during the process and reinstalled it backwards! The reason the shop found the broken rubber hose end was probably because it was mean it for the purge valve side, not the IM.

Looking at the installation instructions for my elevate intake the picture clearly shows that one way valve right before the IM!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14IU_HyQ6xDRIMCFWQTr8shvtHcmp2wSM/view?usp=drivesdk

So yesterday in my work parking lot I reversed the hose ends to match the elevate picture, so the one way valve is now connecting near and pointing towards the IM.

I THINK this should solve my issue! I reset the codes last night with my KPAX GT ECU tuner, and I should know for sure this weekend if the code is gone for good 🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s officially fixed! Just over 500 kilometres since resetting the cel and it hasn’t resurfaced. Just an accidental connection of the purge valve hose to IM getting reversed caused a yearlong CEL that is finally resolved. Glad I did pick up a brand new purge valve since the old one had been stuck in the open position for a year :/

Much thanks to everyone that chimes in with advice/support!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Download tapatalk pro. Easy way to upload pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts