SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No problem, I just thought I'd mention that I noticed an interesting thing this morning. I inserted a thumb drive with the new North American maps (1260) and let it install while I drove. What was interesting is that during the installation the road sign display (showing speed limit signs in the HUD) was not functional -- it didn't display at all. Another thing is that the voice command was extremely slow to react. For example, when telling it to change the temperature it took a good 30 seconds before responding.

I assume that the Volvo's brain has to concentrate so hard on installing that big map file that everything else gets pushed aside.

Oh, one other thing I noticed. I got a new USB 3.0 thumb drive for installing the maps, and it seemed to go a lot faster than it did with my older thumb drive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Busy processing could be a thing but in my case, I think the small amount of disk available could be affecting the speed.

Trying to figure out how to uninstall some maps to see if speed improves a bit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I doubt the USB connector in the car is a USB 3.0 port but likely the flash drive you are using now has a faster controller than the first and saturates the bandwidth where the other was not.

Also, it's extremely likely the onboard storage is an SSD/flash media since a spinning platter drive is subject to damage from jolts. SSD's do slow as they fill because there is less space for unused blocks which have to be erased before being written to again which drastically impacts the IO performance.

I doubt there is a TRIM routine running during idle times to clean up unused blocks as happens in PC's.<br><br>It still kills me about the slow boot times of infotainment systems in cars - especially higher end models. A few more hundred dollars for a faster and/or multi-threaded processor, faster mass storage, and a little extra RAM would be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the vehicle and is a negative user experience each and every time the car is started. I think most would say it would be totally worth the extra $.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt the USB connector in the car is a USB 3.0 port but likely the flash drive you are using now has a faster controller than the first and saturates the bandwidth where the other was not.
Yes, and it could also just be my subjective impression -- I didn't time it or anything. But I was intrigued by how some functions got shut down or slowed while it was installing the maps. After it finished and I restarted the car, everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, and it could also just be my subjective impression -- I didn't time it or anything. But I was intrigued by how some functions got shut down or slowed while it was installing the maps. After it finished and I restarted the car, everything was back to normal.
The speed and warning sign display is fed by GPS data from the navigation system, and supplemented by the cameras.

That’s the main reason you don’t see that information in the gauge cluster while the maps are being updated.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for clarifying that. I had assumed it was mainly a camera function. Apparently the whole navigation system is not inactive during map installation, since the driving journal showed my route accurately. But the road sign display is a non-essential feature so there's no real problem with disabling it for that period.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would be happy to pay a few hundred more for a car system with a good sized Intel I5, lots of ram,512 Gb SSD and USB 3 so that all the systems could respond at full speed all the time and boot up a lot faster.

FWIW I noticed in the car manual that there are licences from BSD so there should be some real UNIX code in there...but none of the usual texts that usually go along with GPL Licences for
Linux.
If the car had really fast hardware then there would be some space for a web server and a firewall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't understand why we can't update the entire North American maps over the air without a flash drive. It is just tedious.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have yet to see a car Navigation that is as robust as those that you can use for free on today's smartphones. Personally, I only use the built-in GPS as a supplement or backup to the one on the phone. With the Google maps app, you can download maps to use "offline" (no data service) for the times you will be in areas with no service. These will expire after period of time but it works very well.

I do a lot of motorcycle trips through the mountains in NC/TN and it use the offline maps often, building my own routes ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I don't understand why we can't update the entire North American maps over the air without a flash drive. It is just tedious.
The answer is in the space on the HDD, first we should download 35GB and then start the installation, so it should have a HDD of at least 120GB
As far as I know, Volvo has an 80GB HDD

I have yet to see a car Navigation that is as robust as those that you can use for free on today's smartphones. Personally, I only use the built-in GPS as a supplement or backup to the one on the phone. With the Google maps app, you can download maps to use "offline" (no data service) for the times you will be in areas with no service. These will expire after period of time but it works very well.

I do a lot of motorcycle trips through the mountains in NC/TN and it use the offline maps often, building my own routes ahead of time.
Depending on the car manufacturer, you can use Google Maps in Audi or BMW

·
Registered
417 Posts
In addition to slowing down when updating maps I find that for maybe a week after updating I get occasional system reboots (black screen). After a few days it settles down with no reboots until the next update. At first it seemed random but now I seem to see a pattern... I don't think it's a coincidence.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts

Also, it's extremely likely the onboard storage is an SSD/flash media since a spinning platter drive is subject to damage from jolts. SSD's do slow as they fill because there is less space for unused blocks which have to be erased before being written to again which drastically impacts the IO performance.

I doubt there is a TRIM routine running during idle times to clean up unused blocks as happens in PC's.<br><br>It still kills me about the slow boot times of infotainment systems in cars - especially higher end models. A few more hundred dollars for a faster and/or multi-threaded processor, faster mass storage, and a little extra RAM would be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the vehicle and is a negative user experience each and every time the car is started. I think most would say it would be totally worth the extra $.
It’s not an SSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Because you don’t want to have to download 35 GB worth of maps over a cellular connection. First of all, it’s slow. Second of all, you’d burn through your data allowance really quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts