SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in my vehicle last evening at the Metro station and the tire light came on. This is the 3rd or 4th go-round with "low pressure". Last time it ended up costing me $500, plus the cost of the emergency kit refill. Anyone that is depending on the slime and pump, better have a plan B. Did a visual check and headed for home figuring it was temperature related - it's cold in DC. Half-way home, the engine light came on. This is the 3rd time for it. First was a cracked emissions tube, second was two faulty oxygen sensors. I've parked it at home, just can't deal with it right now. I've had it for about a year-and-a-half and it's at 5,000 miles. For the time being, I'll be driving my 6 year-old Ford Ranger - that's never been in the shop. :(

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Got in my vehicle last evening at the Metro station and the tire light came on. This is the 3rd or 4th go-round with "low pressure". Last time it ended up costing me $500, plus the cost of the emergency kit refill. Anyone that is depending on the slime and pump, better have a plan B. Did a visual check and headed for home figuring it was temperature related - it's cold in DC. Half-way home, the engine light came on. This is the 3rd time for it. First was a cracked emissions tube, second was two faulty oxygen sensors. I've parked it at home, just can't deal with it right now. I've had it for about a year-and-a-half and it's at 5,000 miles. For the time being, I'll be driving my 6 year-old Ford Ranger - that's never been in the shop. :(
My plan B is a spare tire in the trunk ;-) But to be fair, low tire pressure isn't Volvo's fault. Why did it cost you $500? At a 1.5 years aren't you on S&S with roadside assistance?

I'm going on 5 years and have to say, even with my current oil burning problem I still like my Volvo. Yes, its had its share of problems but it's still solid, comfortable and reliable. Most car's I've had after 5 years I'm itching to unload. Still happy with this one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In attempt to save cost and weight, most cars don't have an actual spare anymore.
True, and the repair kits are next to useless. With my previous car the VW dealer simply said "don't even bother with the repair kit, it'll do more damage than good, immediately call roadside assistance instead". Go figure. I ordered my S60 with a space saver spare tyre instead of the repair kit. At least that will bring me home or to a proper garage should I be very far from home. The downsize is: the raised trunk floor looks okay, but costs considerable trunk space. That is however (personally) more than offset by the peace of mind of having a spare tyre!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But to be fair, low tire pressure isn't Volvo's fault. Why did it cost you $500?
After the slime and pump, I thought I could limp to the nearest gas station (less than a block away) to use a real pump. Did enough damage that the tire had to be replaced. Yes, not Volvo's fault. But, two flats on a car that doesn't get much use is a little suspicious. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that Volvo road service is contracted out? I've not had good experience with road service here in DC area. A spare would have eliminated all the hassle, several times.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Could be the brand of tires. You have warranty for the tires, with the amount of miles you have and time, it should be covered. Of course if you destroyed the tire while trying to get to the gas station, then it's out of your pocket.

Sometimes the wait can be long depending on weather, etc., but on the 2nd one, I would have reached out to roadside assistance and then the tire company to get it replaced under warranty if it wasn't due to road damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Check you lemon laws in your state and talk to VCNA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Totally respect your right to be pissed off at the car and Volvo, but given what you describe above im not sure why the engine is "the main concern" seeing as you've had no trouble with it. A couple of flats and bad O2 sensors is a total pain, but hardly indicative of either a lemon or a bad engine. Unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Totally respect your right to be pissed off at the car and Volvo, but given what you describe above im not sure why the engine is "the main concern" seeing as you've had no trouble with it. A couple of flats and bad O2 sensors is a total pain, but hardly indicative of either a lemon or a bad engine. Unless I'm missing something.
Kind of agree. The O2 sensors would piss me off but the tire issues don't seem to be a defect in the car. When we bought our 2014 S60 I knew it didn't come with a spare so I bought a temp spare and haul it around strapped down in the trunk. Our V60CC came with a temp spare stored under the floor and I am grateful. I think a spare is still a good idea in a car as I don't want to wait on a flat bed to haul my car if the tire is shredded or has sidewall damage.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
2015, V60, turbo 4, FWD, Platinum. And sea shell beige metallic. The engine in the main concern.
Well there ya go...Drive-e.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This. I bought a spare for my AWD Sienna because they naturally come with run flats, which are a joke. I'll never drive a vehicle without a spare in the back.

My new favorite blog: The Car Crash Detective.
'06 Sienna AWD w/124k. Goal: 700k.
'07 Odyssey w/138k. Goal: 700k.

No offense, but why are you on a Volvo site? Are you wanting to buy one?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well there ya go...Drive-e.
Why is there so much vitriol for the Drive-E?

EVERY SINGLE VOLVO is moving to this platform.

This thread : Drive-E Total Miles Check-in shows cars with 36k miles, hardly any engine problems. Strangely some have reported low coolant, but might be low from factory.

Yes, some Drive-Es have reported oil consumption, but I think the majority do not.

To the OP : If you've lost faith in your car, warranted or not, none of us will convince you otherwise, that's a personal decision.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

Because we as humans are resistant to change; Volvo enthusiasts are no exception. I'd say most of us--myself included--are still stuck in the tail end of the "denial" phase on a change curve regarding Volvo's decision to abandon their heralded five and six cylinder engine platforms.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Because we as humans are resistant to change; Volvo enthusiasts are no exception. I'd say most of us--myself included--are still stuck in the tail end of the "denial" phase on a change curve regarding Volvo's decision to abandon their heralded five and six cylinder engine platforms.
Is it really that simple? "Every act of creation is an act of destruction, Picasso said that." Chris in the morning said that.

I wish it were easier for us to know when to utilize our emotions and when to put them aside to look at data with an open (as in scientific) attitude.

We'll never have a real StarFleet if we don't change.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

I think your second sentence is your answer to your first sentence. A lot of us don't like being told what we want and that is what Volvo is essentially doing. Every other Automaker offers engine options, Volvo is now only going to offer the 4 cylinder. Adding Turbos, Superchargers and E-motors, does not replace having 6 and 8 cylinder options like everyone else has. Having the Drive-E as a compliment to other drivetrains would be one thing, but this whole "it's going in everything and you're going to like it or else" rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts