SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, '85 240DL here having wacky light issues. I really want to keep cost down and do repairs myself if I can... The taillight assembly is completely crazy, I've never seen anything like what Volvo's done here with the copper sheet. I suppose that was hi tec back then. Anyway my Brake lights only work when the headlights are off. THen they're on, the taillights are just on. It appears that the connection for the brake lights are burnt, I wire brushed them but no cigar.

Here is the taillight after I brushed the melted bit away. Still didn't work right. It gets slightly brighter when the pedal is pushed while the headlights are on but remains constant. The other side is so burnt it doesn't even come on. Is this common? Are there any temporary fixes?

Also, my brights do not seem to be correct. Here is a picture with the normal lights:

And here is a pic with brights on.

What's up with that? How can I fix that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The important part is the taillights, do you think replacing the taillights (as the connections to the brake lights are burned) would improve the way they function?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
If the ONLY electrical problem is the tail lights then new or like new units would help.

Does the car have a "Bulb Out" light in the instrument panel?

George Dill

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If the ONLY electrical problem is the tail lights then new or like new units would help.

Does the car have a "Bulb Out" light in the instrument panel?

George Dill
when I normally apply the brakes then the bulb light comes on. When the headlights are on then the bulb light is constant. I'm looking for new/decent used units but they're expensive for what they are. I wondered if there was a way to replace the green and copper electrical strip or temporarily repair it with solder or other means.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
when I normally apply the brakes then the bulb light comes on. When the headlights are on then the bulb light is constant. I'm looking for new/decent used units but they're expensive for what they are. I wondered if there was a way to replace the green and copper electrical strip or temporarily repair it with solder or other means.
Tail lights - buy new cheapo twin-pack bulbs of the correct application as the car MUST have matching bulbs left-to-right.

Headlights - if the bulb sockets are damaged/melted/etc. the problems will persist because the deterioration is inside the socket/junction and not visible.

Electrical grounds and fuses - just one doohickey in this area will cause problems on the car.

Battery and cables - same doohickey comment.

Your area has salvage yards with 240s - check around.

George Dill

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tail lights - buy new cheapo twin-pack bulbs of the correct application as the car MUST have matching bulbs left-to-right.

Headlights - if the bulb sockets are damaged/melted/etc. the problems will persist because the deterioration is inside the socket/junction and not visible.

Electrical grounds and fuses - just one doohickey in this area will cause problems on the car.

Battery and cables - same doohickey comment.

Your area has salvage yards with 240s - check around.

George Dill
I am planning on calling my local salvage yard before buying new. What year model taillights can I plug into this car? Are all year models the same fitment? I also found this:

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-tail-light-pc-board-right-240-244-1312420

Is it relatively simple to replace this into the housing?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just modified the thread i previously posted. I found the circuit board for much less. Its even cheaper on that site.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SO! I got the circuit boards and replaced them and voila! the lights work great. I had a question though regarding the passenger taillight, there were TWO ground wires, one from the Lamp, one from the Harness. Do these both go on the body? I put them on and so far so good...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts