SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some new gas lift struts for the XC70, school me if I'm going about it wrong, I think that if I support the luggage, then remove the plastic trim at the rear of the hood lining, remove one hinge at a time, 2 bolts on the luggage and 3 on the body, disconnect the forward strut mount and withdraw the hinge and strut from the rear of the body, swap the strut and assemble, repeat on other side. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
251 Posts
You definitely don't need to remove the entire rear hatch for it, but you do need to lower the inner roof a bit.
Did it myself a few years ago (before the video below).

Wear gloves though, unless you want to scratch your skin off afterwards ;p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zsWRSEnxaA

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the job done, non genuine struts which are about 12mm longer, a couple of things I noticed is that if you use non genuine struts, remove both struts rather than do one at a time. The new longer struts also make the lift gate go much higher, something I was looking for, the only issue is that the lift gate now opens so far that it touches the actual roof! To stop that occurring I found that on the left hinge on the other side to where the strut connects there is another ball which a price of rubber hose can be squeezed over, that limits the lift gate travel to stop it hitting the roof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts